Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    Maybe. Or maybe there is purpose in life. Most things in our lives have a reason for being there. We normally do things with a purpose in mind. Is it so crazy to assume life itself has a purpose as well? Some would actually say that the idea that life has no purpose is crazy.
    Why would there be a purpose? How could there be a purpose?

ReputationRep:
    Agreed...back in the day I think people tried to scare each other to make them better so religion was a fantastic tool to use to make people afraid. So maybe these traditions have been passed on from generation to generation! :smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeetingman)
    (...) I don't believe that God has any expectations, I believe he is just there keeping the universe together. (...)
    The universe fair enough, but what about the earth? does God should not keep the earth together whenever the people are destroying this planet? What do you think god will do when the status of earth is critical?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm...very good point!
    Since there are possibilities of other lifeforms that are undiscovered. Don't ya think they have troubles too?
    I'm not saying God will do nothing but as someone said earlier through good people's acts of love...maybe this is God working through people naturally. I believe God gave us limits for example Adolf Hitler did many bad things but his reign came to an end. God has set limits upon mankind. Another limit is old age even the most evilist people will age and die. So yeah I personally think we can't destroy God's creation. However...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hmm...very good point!
    Since there are possibilities of other lifeforms that are undiscovered. Don't ya think they have troubles too?
    I'm not saying God will do nothing but as someone said earlier through good people's acts of love...maybe this is God working through people naturally. I believe God gave us limits for example Adolf Hitler did many bad things but his reign came to an end. God has set limits upon mankind. Another limit is old age even the most evilist people will age and die. So yeah I personally think we can't destroy God's creation. However...(...)
    I am afraid we can destroy gods creation here on earth indeed. We have really a dangerous potential created on earth to destroy the total existence of our planet. If there are another lifeforms out of the range of people in an other part of our galaxy and the power of god is limited, I would suggest god to help the lifefoms which have the greatest problems. If god asks me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid I have to disagree with ya. We have the power to destroy the Earth but we wouldn't do it, I believe this is because of our survival mechanics that God has fitted into us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pjm600)
    Why would there be a purpose? How could there be a purpose?
    Well those are difficult questions. I could throw similar ones back at you. Why would there not be a purpose? How could there not be a purpose?

Personally, I think the bible reveals that life has purpose. Yet, I still don't think I could answer why there would be a purpose, or how (except perhaps by saying God gave existence its purpose).

But I'll repeat a previous point - most things in our lives have a purpose, should we assume life itself has no purpose?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid I have to disagree with ya. We have the power to destroy the Earth but we wouldn't do it, I believe this is because of our survival mechanics that God has fitted into us
    There are two things which cannot be controlled permanently by people, namely the nature and the radioactivity. These things are too powerful for us to survive. So we need help by the name of god, if this lifeform really exists

ReputationRep:
    Agreed...back in the day I think people tried to scare each other to make them better so religion was a fantastic tool to use to make people afraid. So maybe these traditions have been passed on from generation to generation! :smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Interestingly enough, I think scare tactics are still used today as a way of manipulating others. I mean, for example, the recent rise in popularity of UKIP could partly be owed to the scapegoating of some of our problems on immigration policy and EU obligations. Furthermore, politicians often use scare tactics to deter them away from their competitors. You'll get higher taxes, or there'll be higher unemployment, greater instability, you won't be able to get on the property ladder etc.

ReputationRep:
    God lives outside of time Posted from TSR Mobile

How convenient.

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to share my point of view on God.
    I believe that God is real but not on the scale that the media portrays him as. God isn't a bearded man in the sky pointing to things. I believe that God doesn't have an appearance. God is everywhere and we live through him. God lives outside of time not physically however he created basic time day/night humans made it more complex. I don't believe that God has any expectations, I believe he is just there keeping the universe together. Abit like a lightbulb. We've got to get out of this habit of thinking God is a physical being. Anyway that's all I wanted to say. Any questions? Just post it i'll get to it. If you disagree post that as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If not a physical being then what?

If this being is not physical how does it interact with the physical world, how come we can describe it's properties?

How can you be sure a being that is not physical exists? I can substitute in any idea into your post and it would be equally as compelling.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.