Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by syumbo)
    Hey I'm doing History PGCE this September. Just got my email offer from Lady Margaret Hall college- but sadly missed out on accommodation :/
    Congratulations
    Ahh that's a massive pain! To be fair there seems to be a good amount of student housing around Oxford. When I went for my interview Sarah Keen said if we struggled to find accommodation and wanted to share with other PGCE students just to email them and they'd put us in contact with other students. That might be helpful in finding accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessDola92)
    Congratulations
    Ahh that's a massive pain! To be fair there seems to be a good amount of student housing around Oxford. When I went for my interview Sarah Keen said if we struggled to find accommodation and wanted to share with other PGCE students just to email them and they'd put us in contact with other students. That might be helpful in finding accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh that's really useful! I think the college also sets up a forum for everyone who missed out on accommodation, but it seems way more practical to live with people also on a PGCE timetable. Thanks
    Good luck with your college if you haven't heard back yet!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE]

I'm looking for accommodation, so can we just email Sarah and she can put us in touch with people looking as well?

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm doing History PGCE this September. Just got my email offer from Lady Margaret Hall college- but sadly missed out on accommodation :/
    Hey, I'm doing English PGCE, what you thinking of doing about accommodation? Just asking because I'm looking for people to share with, so was wondering if you might be interested and or know of anyone who is looking for a house/flat share?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluenose_maz)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm looking for accommodation, so can we just email Sarah and she can put us in touch with people looking as well?[/QUOTE]

Yeah email Sarah and she should be able to help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Made a facebook group for easier chatting search Oxford PGCE 2015-16, feel free to add yourself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessDola92)
    I'm looking for accommodation, so can we just email Sarah and she can put us in touch with people looking as well?
    Yeah email Sarah and she should be able to help

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE]

Thanks , yeah I emailed her, so hopefully will hear something back soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluenose_maz)
    Hey, I'm doing English PGCE, what you thinking of doing about accommodation? Just asking because I'm looking for people to share with, so was wondering if you might be interested and or know of anyone who is looking for a house/flat share?

I'm not sure what to do about accommodation at the moment. I know there's a form you can fill out to register interest in university-managed accommodation, but the chances of getting it are relatively slim.
    I'd definitely be interested in a flat/house share I think over the next few weeks the colleges and PGCE department will send out contact details for people in need of accommodation so we can start arranging groups

ReputationRep:
    Im doing a History PGCE too! Im quite anxious about accommodation as i still haven't heard back frm my college choices

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefinka)
    Made a facebook group for easier chatting search Oxford PGCE 2015-16, feel free to add yourself!
    Hey this is a great idea, but I tried to find it and its not coming up in my facebook search. Is it a closed group?

ReputationRep:
    Here's the link! https://www.facebook.com/groups/833726203348055/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Great thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! Been reading all of your very useful info on here.

I've got an interview coming up for English PGCE. Can anybody give me some pointers of what to expect from the day?

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mddiesmith)

I've got an interview coming up for English PGCE. Can anybody give me some pointers of what to expect from the day?

Cheers!
    Expect it to be really quite relaxed! When I had my interview I had a chance to talk to other candidates which I think relaxed us all. You have a presentation about the general PGCE first and then one about your subject, then you have individual interviews while completing the written task. They asked me why I want to teach, where I see myself in 5 years, that sort of stuff. They were all really friendly, just be yourself and you'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Cheers!

My interview for History PGCE was quite early in the process so i don't know if they are always so small but on my day it was just me and two other candidates! We sat around chatting for a bit before we were collected, which put everyone at ease. firstly they checked documents and we had two (subject-related) tasks, one was marking a pupil's essay as if I were the teacher and then we went into a different room with two members of staff, to give presentations (we were given the week before to plan this).
    We then had a group task of assessing sources. This was followed by individual interviews (normal questions; skills and weaknesses, my attitudes to teaching and why i chose history pgce -this was possibly more important for me as my degree actually isn't in history!!!) I then had my final writing task which was planning a terms worth of lessons and explaining my choices (we were provided with the current curriculum recommendations).

I found the whole process far more informal than i had expected. Prepare as much as you can, but don't be worried if their questions take you by surprise as they're not looking for memorized answers

ReputationRep:
    That all sounds really reassuring! Thanks :-)

So Jess, did you have to give a presentation as part of your interview? Was yours for English too?

ReputationRep:
    That all sounds really reassuring! Thanks :-)

So Jess, did you have to give a presentation as part of your interview? Was yours for English too?
    Mine was for RE, I didn't have to do a presentation for mine. I think it varies between subjects but they give you all the info for what you have to do in the email. My email said we had to take part in a group discussion but they missed that out on the day, I think it was due to time though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've just had an offer for Geography PGCE yay! Can anyone tell me if they've been rejected by a college? Don't want to apply for one and just get rejected straight as well as they've got no places left

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frgs101)
    I've just had an offer for Geography PGCE yay! Can anyone tell me if they've been rejected by a college? Don't want to apply for one and just get rejected straight as well as they've got no places left
    Congratulation!

Magdalen is full! And Keble rejected me - boo! Have now applied for Pembroke and St Peter's, the wait is agonising!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations* haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.