Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I know this is an unusual comparison as the Uni of York has a very high reputation compared to the Uni of Portsmouth. However, I am not only taking reputation into account, I'm also taking the night life into consideration. By the way, I have applied for Interactive Media at York and Web Technologies at Portsmouth.
    Which university do you think I should choose?

ReputationRep:
    University of York.

Portsmouth isn't a nice place at all in my honest opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Messiah Complex)
    University of York.

Portsmouth isn't a nice place at all in my honest opinion.
    Oh okay, what do you think of York's night life though? I have read so many threads that are criticizing the university's overall social life. I'm not very worried about the night life but I do not want to go a uni where all I will think about is lectures, I want to have fun too. So what do you think about York's overall night and social life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mo')
    Oh okay, what do you think of York's night life though? I have read so many threads that are criticizing the university's overall social life.
    Your social life will only be as good as what you make of it. Nobody is going to force you to stay in and guard your door to ensure you study. If you want to go out and have fun you will be able to do so. You will definitely be able to do this and York is a popular destination for Hen and Stag do's so it must be doing something right to get people going up there drinking.

On top of that you get a good university and a nice place to live. It's the sensible choice and the university I'm considering for further study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Messiah Complex)
    Your social life will only be as good as what you make of it. Nobody is going to force you to stay in and guard your door to ensure you study. If you want to go out and have fun you will be able to do so. You will definitely be able to do this and York is a popular destination for Hen and Stag do's so it must be doing something right to get people going up there drinking.

On top of that you get a good university and a nice place to live. It's the sensible choice and the university I'm considering for further study.
    Fair enough. I mean what you've said is true. To be honest, I was only worried because I'm coming all the way from London and I don't want to go to a university where I'll be on a different vibe with everyone. That was only my doubt about York Uni.

ReputationRep:
    It depends really what you want. Coming from a person who is from the North, York's social scene isn't as big as it would be in Portsmouth. There's plenty to do, but it isn't as robust as Portsmouth is.

Portsmouth is a nice area, but York is a beautiful one. It all boils down to personal taste honestly. I would choose York, but that's hometown bias for me, but you should definitely check them both out.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.