Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    whats the max you can climb ft/min?
    Varies with aircraft type. I haven't downloaded and read the 800 odd pages of the Airbus A320 (Air Asia crash jet) operating manual, but someone asked the question in 2005, see here. You can see that Michi says
    there are no structural restrictions/limitations for max. climb or descent rates. But airlines have company procedures for max descent rates.
    . The normal rate of climb in the 30k region is approx 1400fpm, but in terms of max observed rates Michi says
    The max. rate in the simulator for me was 17000fpm (A320) during a GPWS recovery. In real (life) my max. rate was 14000fpm (A319) during a regular departure.
    GPWS = Ground Proximity Warning System

Fighter aircraft have much greater rates of climb (as you'd expect) and I've seen 62000fpm quoted for the Eurofighter Typhoon and 100k fpm for the F22 Raptor.

So, although 6000fpm for the A320 is not a normal rate of climb, it shouldn't be structurally problematic. However, if the energy going into the climb is low, and power settings equally low, then the speed will quickly decay and unless recovery action is taken rapidly, the aircraft will stall.

ReputationRep:
    It's worth mentioning, in case anyone is confused, that an aircraft stall is not like a car's stall. It's not the engine cutting out, it's the total loss of lift.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    It's worth mentioning, in case anyone is confused, that an aircraft stall is not like a car's stall. It's not the engine cutting out, it's the total loss of lift.
    And falling like a stone.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5adECFNFMok

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WFcW5-1NP60

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    whats the max you can climb ft/min?
    Regular rate is roughly between 1,200 to 2,400ft/min. The QZ flight had it going much as twice as this. CVR had stalling warnings going off just before plunging into the shallow sea, as an investigator revealed just few hours ago.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.