Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Thoughts are with the people and families affected by this horrid story! It's scary how weather can cause planes to drop out of the sky!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexyyyy)
    It's scary how weather can cause planes to drop out of the sky!
    Flying is an incredibly safe mode of transport, if you stick to the major airlines. Safer than being in a car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    Flying is an incredibly safe mode of transport, if you stick to the major airlines. Safer than being in a car.
    Yeah I know but it's still scary how weather can bring down a state of the art aircraft!

ReputationRep:
    Bad year for the aviation industry. Malaysia especially seem to be cursed :/

ReputationRep:
    It's crashed in the sea somewhere. Probably never to be recovered.

ReputationRep:
    How can everyone be so naive?

Thousands of planes fly across the world every day. Yet in the last 6 months three huge commercial planes carrying hundreds of people have went down, all Malaysian and everyone thinks it's coincidence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayles101)
    everyone thinks it's coincidence?
    Yep. That's how the numbers roll. It's just chance.

ReputationRep:

Thousands of planes fly across the world every day. Yet in the last 6 months three huge commercial planes carrying hundreds of people have went down, all Malaysian and everyone thinks it's coincidence?
    The area's air safety record really is atrocious, the EU had banned every single Indonesia airline up until a few years ago and even now they're still all banned banned bar a handful of exceptions.

ReputationRep:

Ahh, I've been hoping someone would come up with this thank you!

And btw, 'AirAsia Indonesia is 49% owned by Malaysia-listed AirAsia Sdn Bhd and 51% by Indonesian shareholders as stipulated by an Indonesian law requiring citizens to own at least 50% of any local airline'. Thus it's a seperate entity from the AirAsia that we know in Malaysia - source: http://says.com/my/news/how-is-airas...m_medium=email

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

This plane isn't Malaysia Airlines though. I know the flight was going to or from Malaysia, but this is a different airline.

This is tragic, needless to say. The most likely explanation of the disappearance is that the plane crashed into and sunk to the bottom of the sea. Very sad.

ReputationRep:
    So is this a current event of terrorism, or is this something that's been happening in that area for many years that's only now being covered by the news because it's getting people scared or depressed?

ReputationRep:

I agree (sort of ). Something is definitely fishy and somebody's hiding something. I don't understand how someone can track down a mobile phone to the street while we can't locate a couple of planes with hundreds of people onboard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrJAKEE)
    I agree (sort of ). Something is definitely fishy and somebody's hiding something. I don't understand how someone can track down a mobile phone to the street while we can't locate a couple of planes with hundreds of people onboard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I hate this comparison. Like when people complain about something not working and say "...but we can land on the moon!"

I can walk, I can run, that doesn't mean I can swim. I can build a computer, that doesn't mean I can fix a watch. You can write a post, that doesn't mean you can teach someone English. How are they related?

Please, outline in detail what "technology" and data you would use, and the physics and engineering behind it. You're a billionaire waiting to happen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    I hate this comparison. Like when people complain about something not working and say "...but we can land on the moon!"

I can walk, I can run, that doesn't mean I can swim. I can build a computer, that doesn't mean I can fix a watch. You can write a post, that doesn't mean you can teach someone English. How are they related?

Please, outline in detail what "technology" and data you would use, and the physics and engineering behind it. You're a billionaire waiting to happen!
    I seriously don't get what the diatribe that is your post is trying to get at. This whole thread is speculation so I don't see your problem with people speculating? You can say that it was definitively due to bad weather but there is no way to prove that thus far, and even if it was, the airline still has a massive responsibility to make sure all the passengers are safe during their journey, and I would have thought looking at the weather forecasts as being integral to the safety of all (so some sort of negligence is at fault here)

The technology is evidently there. GPS and navigation systems are used all the time in the airline industry and I don't see how on Earth they are able to be just "shut off" by airline pilots who have a moral responsibility from a business perspective to look after their passengers + if any incident does occur to give the incident's information to the appropriate people. Whilst I don't claim to be a physicist I am sure there are countless of ways (from my imagination straight off) that would allow the cause of the incident to be identified.

Nevertheless is shouldn't be blundered over that airline crashes are very rare and that there have been 3 in the past year with 2 being in the same region. This is an extraordinary amount and there is a possible link to the happenings within the area.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reluire)
    This plane isn't Malaysia Airlines though. I know the flight was going to or from Malaysia, but this is a different airline.

This is tragic, needless to say. The most likely explanation of the disappearance is that the plane crashed into and sunk to the bottom of the sea. Very sad.
    It was actually going from Indonesia to Singapore. The only real connection to Malaysia is that the airline's parent company is Malaysian.

ReputationRep:
    I seriously don't get what the diatribe that is your post is trying to get at. This whole thread is speculation so I don't see your problem with people speculating?
    I have a problem with people speculating? WTF are you talking about? Read again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    I have a problem with people speculating? WTF are you talking about? Read again.
    Well that's exactly what you were insinuating.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Must be a bad year for South-East Asia, also for the people who have a fear of flying. :/

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You generally don't find phone masts in among the clouds.

It is actually possible to track aircraft beyond what is currently done, it would just be horrendously expensive for the industry.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is because you evidently don't understand how the technology works.

You can track down a mobile phone because
    1. The phone calculates it's position via GPS
    2. The phone then uploads it's position to some server via the internet, where you can view it's position.

The key points here are
    A. GPS is a function local to the device. The device calculates it via triangulation by connecting to the satellites. The satellites serve no purpose other than to pass their position allowing the device to calculate this triangulation. Each individual satellite has no idea about your phones position, it's not a two-way communication.
    B. The ability to track a device's GPS online requires that device to have connection to the internet.

Now, if you can propose an affordable, cost-effective method of providing every plane with constant internet access for this method to work, then I suggest you get in touch with airlines immediately, as well as the military, car manufacturers, emergency services, space agencies and any other parties interested in networks known as 'Delay tolerant Networks'. They would love to hear to hear from you.

The thing to remember is, the reason we class the plane as missing, is because we are no longer tracking it. We 'were' following its progress absolutely fine, until something went wrong. And when things go wrong in situations like this, you tend to lose track of them (e.g. how are you supposed to track something on radar if it's crashed in to the sea?)

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.