The Student Room Group

Can people get into uk with AP's

Hiiiii, i'v been literally spending 2 whole weeks if i should be doing AP's or A levels. I have like a 50% chance on going to either america or uk. I have seen that USA does not recognize A levels, which is why i chose to go with AP's.
I'm an American that applied for British universities with APs, and I got offers for 3 of them so far. So yes, you can get in with APs.

Are you American or British? Because that's going to make a difference as to whether or not your curriculum is the right choice.

I don't really know much about A-levels, but I've gotten the impression that they are way more rigorous than APs. Most American colleges have applicants from the UK, so I'm sure they are aware of A-levels and will accept them.

Also, you don't have to take AP classes to take an AP test. I self-studied for 5 APs, and I did well in them. Not sure if that's an option for A-levels.

Last, did you talk to your college counselor or someone that knows about the admissions process? They should be able to tell you what works for students at your school and that should be taken into account.
Reply 2
I do have an american passport, but i live in jordan. My school offers both AP and A level examinations. We study both at the same time in my school. (I know thats crazy haha). My mom says its better for me to study in the US because im not sure what major i want to study yet, but also one of my options is architecture, and i'm thinking of studying architecture in the uk and not in the US. Im used to the A level system more because i took IGCSE's but my mom said i should switch onto AP's so i could have a better chance at getting into the US. But again, i'm not 100% sure on america. Also, since you got accepted to the uk universities with ap's, did they mention any foundation year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Perlamourad
Hiiiii, i'v been literally spending 2 whole weeks if i should be doing AP's or A levels. I have like a 50% chance on going to either america or uk. I have seen that USA does not recognize A levels, which is why i chose to go with AP's.

I did AP's and I got into both US and Uk universities. I am currently studying at Durham University. It's certainly possible, albeit a bit more difficult, especially if you school does not offer certain subjects (I had to self study calculus BC and Physics C)

I'm not sure where you got the information that A-Levels aren't accepted in the US, as it's absolutely false. They certainly are accepted at US universities, and are probably a bit more respected than AP's (more to do with the fact that they are 2 years vs APs being 1 year and go into more depth)
Reply 4
I've heard that top american universities prefer to see AP's instead of A levels. That's why i'm worried.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do have an american passport, but i live in jordan. My school offers both AP and A level examinations. We study both at the same time in my school. (I know thats crazy haha). My mom says its better for me to study in the US because im not sure what major i want to study yet, but also one of my options is architecture, and i'm thinking of studying architecture in the uk and not in the US. Im used to the A level system more because i took IGCSE's but my mom said i should switch onto AP's so i could have a better chance at getting into the US. But again, i'm not 100% sure on america. Also, since you got accepted to the uk universities with ap's, did they mention any foundation year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can apply to both UK and US colleges. Personally, if I were you, I'd take the choice that offered me the most options.

But that's super cool that you study for both A-levels and APs! I only applied colleges in the UK and my college counselors at my school were only aware of colleges in the US so I had to do a lot of stuff on my own.

Anyways, if your school offers both, then couldn't you do A-levels, and then study for the AP tests around Spring? APs aren't that big of a commitment, but A-levels definitely seem to be a multi-year commitment.

My universities didn't mention anything about a foundation year. Just a regular three-year degree for the subject I chose.

EDIT: Do you know what subject area you want to study?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
The pressure of studying in my school is huge, so taking both AP's and A levels is incredibly stressful. I don't know if i could handle it.

Thank you for your help though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The pressure of studying in my school is huge, so taking both AP's and A levels is incredibly stressful. I don't know if i could handle it.

Thank you for your help though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem! If there's a teacher that you can talk to about this, then make sure to do so! They probably have lots of experience with this :smile:
Reply 8
I have talked to my counselor 4 times, and i have never went out happy because i was never too sure what i wanted. I still have the option of taking AP's or A levels. I can't make up my mind. I am more familiar with A levels because i have taken math A levels in 10th grade. I'm 11th grade now. I just feel like AP's are a big change and i'm afraid i wont do well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have talked to my counselor 4 times, and i have never went out happy because i was never too sure what i wanted. I still have the option of taking AP's or A levels. I can't make up my mind. I am more familiar with A levels because i have taken math A levels in 10th grade. I'm 11th grade now. I just feel like AP's are a big change and i'm afraid i wont do well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly, if you're more comfortable with A levels, than I'd take A-levels. You shouldn't sacrifice good grades, regardless of what form curriculum, for any perceived advantage (there really isn't) for admissions. All universities like good grades.
Reply 10
That's 100% true. I'll see what happens. Again thank you, u've been great help. I wish i knew someone that got accepted to a top american university with A levels. I think i'd be more comfortable that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending