Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Why is Jeremy Clarkson allowed to make jokes about Americans but not Africans? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    America on the whole

Within American society this same pattern exists. Mocking poor disenfranchised groups is not acceptable behaviour, but mocking bankers and so forth is.
    Problem is, refraining from treating "poor, disenfranchised" groups as solid members of society by subjecting them to the same treatment as is expected by everyone else, will only serve to deepen the division between them and the rest of society.

I'm sure many Africans themselves mock their own leaders and it would be acceptable for a person to do this, provided it was clear you were targeting the leader and not the collective.

At the same time, in the USA, Presidents are expected to allow themselves to be the objects of humour since this is in itself an anti-authority, pro-freedom symbol.
    When people mock the USA, they assume it is light hearted. When people mock Africa (which deserves far more mockery, given the abject quagmire much of it can only be described as finding itself in), people assume it is racist or something. Therein lies the problem.

ReputationRep:
    People should be able to make any vile joke they want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesNeedHelp2)
    Oh Dear, That is the most primitive nihilistic trash i have read to date, and i read a lot. Justify your barbaric views please...
    Quite, what is primitive or nihilistic about it - it sounds like he is saying that people are to sensitive about it and so produce evidence of double standards when they decide in them selves that something is racist, as if they have the right to decide whether people have that much of a sense of humour; the problem is that these people are emotional cripples and can't laugh at anything, for being too busy regulating things to suit their narrow sensitive world. That is too say the BBC is a haven for these morons to sensor such art works as It Ain't Half Hot Mum, which is fantastic (I have the DVD, which the BBC allow, wtf, and you can watch it on youtube). These people really are emotional retards and would burst into tears if called silly billys. How hard I want to punch them in the throat cannot be overstated, they are a major if far from the only enemy to free speech in this country and should have the piss taken out of them well :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    Quite, what is primitive or nihilistic about it - it sounds like he is saying that people are to sensitive about it and so produce evidence of double standards when they decide in them selves that something is racist, as if they have the right to decide whether people have that much of a sense of humour; the problem is that these people are emotional cripples and can't laugh at anything, for being too busy regulating things to suit their narrow sensitive world. That is too say the BBC is a haven for these morons to sensor such art works as It Ain't Half Hot Mum, which is fantastic (I have the DVD, which the BBC allow, wtf, and you can watch it on youtube). These people really are emotional retards and would burst into tears if called silly billys. How hard I want to punch them in the throat cannot be overstated, they are a major if far from the only enemy to free speech in this country and should have the piss taken out of them well :unimpressed:
    oh right, so he is, like me, against political correctness and its insanely, anally impounding consequences`? Great so am i !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rvalance)
    I was watching a Jeremy Clarkson show the other day and he made several negative references to the Americas including "Yanks" and "stupid Americans" (not that I care). Yet when he has made comments about Africans or Asians, there has been a national outcry.

In this country, at this time, when nasty tweets make headline news, society has become pathetic. People who play along with this "my favourite footballer go minus 2 points for not criticising the allowed groups and criticising the disallowed groups" are also pathetic for playing into it.

The idea that we "might" offend someone and have to rewrite a codified system of behaviour, language, laws etc. around "might" offending the disallowed groups (as opposed to the allowed groups) is pathetic.

When a system is broken or there is a systematic problem, we should not play into the problem, we should play into the solution.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because the BBC is controlled by Danny Cohen,
    who despises the British public, like Ed Miliband and the Labour party do,

and they want to replace Clarkson with an ethnic minority citizen.

This is nothing more than a witch hunt against Clarkson because he is a white Anglo saxon,
    and this does not fit into the vision that Danny Cohen has for Britain.

"Discussing the future of BBC2, Cohen said the channel would be
    broadcasting a series on the history of Black Britain and
    showing what he described as "Britain's first transgender comedy
    ", called Boy Meets Girl."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)

and they want to replace Clarkson with a an ethnic minority citizen.

This is nothing more than a witch hunt against Clarkson because he is a white Anglo saxon,

Absolutely agreed!. The scum will always rise to the top in such institutions as the BBC. Emotionally retarded scum, who see the pain of their similarly disabled ideological comrades (comrades is the word seeing as they are by their nature communist, heading the BBC (British Labour Party Propaganda Corporation), where normal people, who they are afraid will offend their sensitive little but sickeningly influential selves, see art and evidence of national identity which is dismissed by normal ethnics as the art of racial self-identification, which naturally they have themselves, where it horrifies BBC comrades because they have flocked together to exploit the position of influence given to them by the Labour Party, to end of allowing fellow cripples to cope with the world by censoring the art of the rest of the country. No wonder they inspire such hatred, when they dare to silence superior beings than themselves

ReputationRep:
    who despises the British public
    Oy vey.

ReputationRep:

and they want to replace Clarkson with an ethnic minority citizen.

naming the Jew, tut tut

as a tangent to the OP, calling out "white privilege" is one's duty to be considered a good citizen under PC totalitarianism. Questioning "Jewish privilege" on the other hand...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesabbath)
    naming the Jew, tut tut

as a tangent to the OP, calling out "white privilege" is one's duty to be considered a good citizen under PC totalitarianism. Questioning "Jewish privilege" on the other hand...
    The goyim know... Shut it down!
    Spoiler:
    Show

Attached Images

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2015
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.