Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

What do you think will make you truly happy in life? Watch

ReputationRep:
    For me it's mainly focused around doing a career that I'm really passionate about, having a decent amount of friends who appreciate my worth, have a strong bond with & that I can share great experiences with. Also it would be nice to one day have a partner to love & have a similar connection to my friends What about you?

ReputationRep:
    Nothing. Life is fundamentally ****.

Of course there is lots of stuff you can do to minimize the ****ness of life to the point it is bearable. I honeslty don;t think there is any magic way you can find that will make everything ok again

You know that story about the Bhudda where he tries to find the one true way. It's like that. Buddhists are bang on in this respect.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing. No such thing as truly happy. Happiness is fleeting.

Enjoy your day LOL

ReputationRep:
    you have basically described what 99.9 percent of people on here would say, OP: a great career and a great personal life. its what everyone wants.

i personally think that everyone's mission in life should be to leave the world a better place than it was when they entered it.

ReputationRep:
    "
    When the Buddha said that there is suffering in life, He also spoke about happiness. Buddhists speak of many different kinds of happiness; the happiness of friendship; of family life; of a healthy body and mind; happiness from celebration and gifts, as well as from sharing and giving. Buddhists believe that happiness is real but impermanent — that is does not last forever — and that when happiness fades it leads to suffering. Imagine a person who is given a beautiful vase as a gift from a close friend. They feel happy that their friend cares about them and has chosen them a gift that suits their house perfectly. But if the vase was to smash accidentally, then the happiness would vanish and turn into suffering. The person suffers because their attachment to pleasure has not lasted.

Buddhists learn that many people try to escape from the suffering in life by distracting themselves with temporary pleasures. There are many examples of people who try to block out sadness, pain, loss and grief by indulging in pleasures they think will bring happiness but actually end up disguising their real feelings, and making them feel even worse when the temporary happiness runs out. Imagine a person who likes chocolate, for example, and thinks that the wonderful experience of eating chocolate will always make them happy. If that person has a toothache and tries to make themselves feel better by eating chocolate, it might work once or twice, but the chocolate will never solve the toothache and soon it will make it worse.

In this way, the Buddha taught his followers not to be distracted by momentary pleasures, but to look at the bigger picture of their life experiences. He taught that happiness and pleasures are temporary and therefore that people should learn more about what Buddha taught as the True way to end suffering. He taught these lessons in the next Three Noble Truths."

ReputationRep:
    Money isn't sufficient, but it's necessary in my view.

Once you have enough money not to worry about financial issues, you can turn your attention to charitable causes etc.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Power, money and *****es.

I'm a deep kinda guy.

ReputationRep:
    Teaching English to speakers of other languages in some town in some warm country with a very small network of friends, a chocolate labrador and a sweet husband in a cosy log cabin in the mountains. That's doable, right? :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think I'd like to say the same but I just have this horrible habit of not settling. Call it quarter life crisis or whatever but I feel like I am always going to be like this.

Need to remind myself to be happy with things being the way they are because - and it is so cliché - things could be so much worse (although arguably other people's trials and tribulations don't make yours any less real).

I mean what more could I want?! Am driven, in the grand scheme of things, by knowing we are only here for a short while and why not make the most of it?

ReputationRep:
    Finally having a penis :laugh:

Seriously though, what would make me happy? Being accepted for who I really am, graduating uni in 2018 with a Psychology degree, having some sort of job that I am happy with that pays well, living independently for once in some nice place, having a partner to spend my future with and learning how to be a performer (I have this crazy dream to perform in a stage musical one day!). That would make me happy.

ReputationRep:
    Good relationships.

A job that's enjoyable.

Healthy lifestyle.

Friends to do fun things with.

ReputationRep:
    Need to do well at A levels.Get all offers from Warwick,Bristol and Nottingham(Got 2 already).
    Get a first class degree.Go to a top 10 uni for masters.Work with the government as an Economist.
    I'd love to own a Lamborghini Aventador.That car :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaffacake111)
    I think I'd like to say the same but I just have this horrible habit of not settling. Call it quarter life crisis or whatever but I feel like I am always going to be like this.

Need to remind myself to be happy with things being the way they are because - and it is so cliché - things could be so much worse (although arguably other people's trials and tribulations don't make yours any less real).

I mean what more could I want?! Am driven, in the grand scheme of things, by knowing we are only here for a short while and why not make the most of it?

Lol as I was reading this post, you reminded me a little bit of Princeton from Avenue Q because of the whole quarter life crisis analogy and the being driven in the grand scheme of things, and thus this song came to mind, (sorry, I had too!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrssmmr3M08

But upon reading this bit here: "Need to remind myself to be happy with things being the way they are because - and it is so cliché - things could be so much worse (although arguably other people's trials and tribulations don't make yours any less real)." certainly reminds me of this song (the last song from Avenue Q's soundtrack): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJdcROXeaWc

Sorry, basically I'm using my favorite musical to teach everyone about life's valuable lessons. XD Because why not

ReputationRep:
    Be religious. Become a nutritionist hopefully inshallah. Stay healthy and keep fit. Be a better person. Hopefully get married. Improve my social life because right now its a bit poor. Have more confidence in talking to other people.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill Twix)
    Need to do well at A levels.Get all offers from Warwick,Bristol and Nottingham(Got 2 already).
    Get a first class degree.Go to a top 10 uni for masters.Work with the government as an Economist.
    I'd love to own a Lamborghini Aventador.That car :love:
    My boss has one, refers to it as 'The Mid Life'. Apparently sold his wife on the idea with the immortal line 'Well at least I'm not playing an away game'.

ReputationRep:
    Becoming a maxillofacial surgeon. Anything else is pretty irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow Student)
    Lol as I was reading this post, you reminded me a little bit of Princeton from Avenue Q because of the whole quarter life crisis analogy and the being driven in the grand scheme of things, and thus this song came to mind, (sorry, I had too!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrssmmr3M08

But upon reading this bit here: "Need to remind myself to be happy with things being the way they are because - and it is so cliché - things could be so much worse (although arguably other people's trials and tribulations don't make yours any less real)." certainly reminds me of this song (the last song from Avenue Q's soundtrack): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJdcROXeaWc

Sorry, basically I'm using my favorite musical to teach everyone about life's valuable lessons. XD Because why not
    Certainly wasn't my intent but why not indeed? Massive fan of comedy/music - most notably to include likes of Tim Minchin and Bo Burnham so thanks for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaffacake111)
    Certainly wasn't my intent but why not indeed? Massive fan of comedy/music - most notably to include likes of Tim Minchin and Bo Burnham so thanks for that

Lol I've never even heard of them, sorry :laugh: But Avenue Q is probably my favorite musical, it's basically a Broadway puppet show, a bit like Sesame Street, but on stage and for adults. XD Yes, strictly for adults! :') (It's not ventriloquism though just note that). Some of its actors from the original Broadway cast did work on Sesame Street as well, but Q is so much funnier and better in teaching you things, like life lessons. If that doesn't sound watch-worthy then I don't know what does. :lol: You should watch it and give it a go, it's perfect. :P

ReputationRep:
    Being with my boyfriend and starting a life with him. I've never really cared for things like a career or "experiencing life before marriage" or having kids or whatever. My focus has always been on being with someone I love and building a life with them. Now I've found someone I love and all I want is to start a life together because I just want to be happy and feel wanted.

People tend to have a go at me when I say I want to settle down early because apparently I haven't lived life yet or whatever, but with my boyfriend I'll live a more exciting life than I would if I were single because his life is generally ****ing awesome compared to mine. I can't "experience life" at home because I'm oppressed here. I can't do anything unless my siblings do it with me. It's like living under a ****ing dictatorship. I speak about this a lot with my boyfriend and I know that he's all about freedom and hates our cultures because they're so oppressive. I'm really, really glad I won't have to deal with this **** with him. :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vixen47)
    Being with my boyfriend and starting a life with him. I've never really cared for things like a career or "experiencing life before marriage" or having kids or whatever. My focus has always been on being with someone I love and building a life with them. Now I've found someone I love and all I want is to start a life together because I just want to be happy and feel wanted.

People tend to have a go at me when I say I want to settle down early because apparently I haven't lived life yet or whatever, but with my boyfriend I'll live a more exciting life than I would if I were single because his life is generally ****ing awesome compared to mine. I can't "experience life" at home because I'm oppressed here. I can't do anything unless my siblings do it with me. It's like living under a ****ing dictatorship. I speak about this a lot with my boyfriend and I know that he's all about freedom and hates our cultures because they're so oppressive. I'm really, really glad I won't have to deal with this **** with him. :love:
    Lmao youve mentioned your bf way too many times on here.
    If he does leave you then what?

It's a good thing to always have somethin going for you other than a partner....

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.