Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

'Good' friend did not send a merry xmas text... Watch

I'm friends with this girl, I text her merry christmas (last year)... happy birthday etc. However, on my birthday she did not text me. Wasn't bothered as she got me a present.

However, I was at least expecting a merry christmas text so I didn't text her to see if she would. I didn't get a text or a call?!?!

She only messages me for homework help. Also, we have been friends for years but never talk much of personal stuff. Shes my only friend and I feel like I barely know her!

What shall I do? I have no other friends in sixth form and I eat lunch with her.

Anyone else have a friend like this? Is it normal not to wish a friend a happy christmas or birthday? Why won't she text me?

ReputationRep:
    You are over analysing way too much bruh. Chill the **** out :tsr:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ahh that's quite sad and lonely. You have a choice:

A) ditch her and find some new friends(you may struggle because groups are already formed)

B) continue with the awful friendship

(Original post by scaddywhack)
    You are over analysing way too much bruh. Chill the **** out :tsr:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maybe... I just noticed that my aunt, mum, dad, brothers all got merry Christmas texts- about 10 each on average. Whilst I got 0 when I thought I had friends.

I would have sent a text but I was testing her and some other 'friends' as I sent a text last year.

(Original post by bittr n swt)
    Ahh that's quite sad and lonely. You have a choice:

A) ditch her and find some new friends(you may struggle because groups are already formed)

B) continue with the awful friendship
    I know! Its the little things that hurt the most tbh.

I'm gonna try talking to some other girls in my biology class who seem nice but I'm a nice person and if I ditch this girl I might feel bad... even though she's not the friendliest person in the world.

ReputationRep:
    I only texted one person who isnt family to say merry christmas :dontknow: it's not a big deal at all for me. Just text her saying 'hey did you have a nice christmas? Blablabla'. Christmas day is so busy, easy to not think about sending texts. I don't really do the whole friendship thing though.

ReputationRep:
    :merry:

She was probably just busy! That's all. I had a friend message me on Monday and I was so busy with prep/Christmas/work that we only managed to talk yesterday. Don't worry about it and be casual. I agree with above posters who said text her something like 'how was your Christmas etcetc'.

As for the friendship, however, I know exactly how you feel. I have a limited amount of 'friends' in sixth form, and the girl I'm supposed to be 'closest' with I feel like I hardly know at all. She barely messages me out of school, only when she wants to or needs help. I can't talk about anything personal with her because it's always just all about her. She's a very religion-focused person therefore there's obviously many subjects I cannot talk to her about, because she'd just lecture me. The worst thing is I have tried to suggest to her something like 'hey we should hang out more out of school' before and all she said was 'yeah of course' but I find that whenever she goes out with her other 'best friends' I'm never invited - I know for sure this is not because me and them don't get on, because we have always been absolutely fine. To me it's just ridiculous that she then has the cheek to tell me all about what they've done. Yes I'm pressed because this girl always talks about being friends for life and what-not, whilst I can't imagine us keeping in touch for longer than a week or two after we leave for uni. It's kinda depressing.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear how sad.

Is it really that much of an issue? I only sent texts to those who sent one to me, because I know they're the sort of people who would be upset if I didn't reply. Never send messages like that myself, not because I'm a bad friend, but because I simply see no point. Even my boyfriend didn't get one from me.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    She was probably just busy! That's all. I had a friend message me on Monday and I was so busy with prep/Christmas/work that we only managed to talk yesterday. Don't worry about it and be casual. I agree with above posters who said text her something like 'how was your Christmas etcetc'.

As for the friendship, however, I know exactly how you feel. I have a limited amount of 'friends' in sixth form, and the girl I'm supposed to be 'closest' with I feel like I hardly know at all. She barely messages me out of school, only when she wants to or needs help. I can't talk about anything personal with her because it's always just all about her. She's a very religion-focused person therefore there's obviously many subjects I cannot talk to her about, because she'd just lecture me. The worst thing is I have tried to suggest to her something like 'hey we should hang out more out of school' before and all she said was 'yeah of course' but I find that whenever she goes out with her other 'best friends' I'm never invited - I know for sure this is not because me and them don't get on, because we have always been absolutely fine. To me it's just ridiculous that she then has the cheek to tell me all about what they've done. Yes I'm pressed because this girl always talks about being friends for life and what-not, whilst I can't imagine us keeping in touch for longer than a week or two after we leave for uni. It's kinda depressing.

I just feel like sending a text does not take long and its not like shes the type of person thats never on her phone. Also, I also send a merry xmas or birthday text. Yet on her birthday when I sent a text she didn't reply. HOWEVER SHE SENT A HAPPY BIRTHDAY TEXT TO ANOTHER GIRL!! This girl is someone that we are friends with outside of school who goes to another sixth form and I think they met up during the holidays without me

Wow, we are literally going through the same thing! As girls we like to talk about personal stuff but having a friend that does not want to is sooo weird to me! She also always talks about school work and its just boring. I also feel like she tries to compete with me and show off about her grades. I agree with you that when I go to uni theres no way that we will be in contact.

(Original post by Katie_p)
    Oh dear how sad.

Is it really that much of an issue? I only sent texts to those who sent one to me, because I know they're the sort of people who would be upset if I didn't reply. Never send messages like that myself, not because I'm a bad friend, but because I simply see no point. Even my boyfriend didn't get one from me.

I sent her a b-day text. I forgot to mention in the first post that she sent a b-day text to a girl from our old secondary school and I think they met up this holiday.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    You're reading too much into this. She may have had signal problems.

ReputationRep:
    What did we do before mobile phones? :daydreaming:

Sent Christmas cards and letters, did you send her a card?

I bet she's sat waiting by her letter box, wondering where her Christmas card is, just as you were sat eagerly by your phone.

Instead of worrying about your Christmas text (you could have text/called her), you should have just enjoyed Christmas day with your family and stuff.

:pierre:

ReputationRep:
    She was probably just busy, I didn't text my good friends on Christmas and they didn't text me either. Its not a big deal.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    She was probably just busy, I didn't text my good friends on Christmas and they didn't text me either. Its not a big deal.
    Same. I got Christmas cards from 2 of them and the ones I saw before Christmas, we wished each other a Merry Christmas then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikki1805)
    What did we do before mobile phones? :daydreaming:

Sent Christmas cards and letters, did you send her a card?

I bet she's sat waiting by her letter box, wondering where her Christmas card is, just as you were sat eagerly by your phone.

Instead of worrying about your Christmas text (you could have text/called her), you should have just enjoyed Christmas day with your family and stuff.

:pierre:
    Haha, i miss you honey bubu. remember me?

ReputationRep:
    ****ing mobile phones.

**** phones is what I say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    ****ing mobile phones.

**** phones is what I say
    Lol you're surely a guy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm friends with this girl, I text her merry christmas (last year)... happy birthday etc. However, on my birthday she did not text me. Wasn't bothered as she got me a present.

However, I was at least expecting a merry christmas text so I didn't text her to see if she would. I didn't get a text or a call?!?!

She only messages me for homework help. Also, we have been friends for years but never talk much of personal stuff. Shes my only friend and I feel like I barely know her!

What shall I do? I have no other friends in sixth form and I eat lunch with her.

Anyone else have a friend like this? Is it normal not to wish a friend a happy christmas or birthday? Why won't she text me?
    Me and my friends don't do "Merry Christmas" texts, therefore I didn't receive any. I'm not annoyed about this, because it's quite normal. Those people who are important will have given me a card/present in person when I saw them maybe, and so receiving a text on the day wouldn't make a difference.

I think you're maybe over analyzing it. Your family may have received more texts, but that's obviously just how their friends operate. It's certainly not what EVERYONE does, so the fact that your friend didn't doesn't mean they're a bad friend. They were probably busy and distracted with their family (or whoever they spend Christmas with).

On the other points, if you'd like to speak to them about more personal stuff maybe start the conversation yourself. Ask questions, show an interest in what they've been doing. They might think you're not interested.
    Just talking to them should help sort things out and make you happier

(Original post by OU Student)
    You're reading too much into this. She may have had signal problems.
    I think I have an overly sensitive personality. One of the reasons I find it hard to make friends. I over analise everythingggg

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 31, 2014
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.