Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm a EU students dreaming about applying (successfully to Oxford.
    However, I am, well, poor - at least in comparison with the British standard of life. In my country my family leads a decent life but due to the difference in the value of our currencies my parents probably wouldn't be able to provide me with any significant help.

From what I gather, as a EU student I can get a tuition fee loan, and if I'm not mistaken, Oxford also cuts the fee by up to 3000 for the poorest students? I would also be considered for a bursary of 4500 a year. It seems to me, too, that there is another 1000 for the taking in your first year, and some colleges like Hertford offer additional bursaries - in case of this college, another 1000.
    It's a whole lot of money, but is it enough to survive on? I did some calculations and it seems that all that money would let me pay for the accommodation and food, but not much more, and there are some other costs for sure, not to mention flights to and from home.

It seems to me that working is discouraged at Oxford and probably there's not much time for that considering the heavy workload. I am a fairly established freelancer though and I could make some additional money through writing - it wouldn't be an amount to see me through each month though...

I have no idea if I could get in but I'd like to assess my financial ability before I start being serious about applying to Oxford so that I don't end up in and unable to go due to finances...
    Does anyone has any experience with making a living without the grants and loans available to Home students?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    Im also an EU student hoping to apply successfully to Oxford.
    From what ive read, uk and eu students only have to pain tuition and personal costs, so no college and accomodation to worry about!
    Tuition fees are 9000 per annum, however, if you ask for it, the uk government pays for the tuition BUT you must pay it all back with interés when you are working and and earning mora than...(i dont remember the figure exactly but it was above 1000..:s u might want to check that out). On top of that as u have said, Oxford offers a generous package of financial aid so I wouldnt worry too much because in the end, its worth it!
    If you are getting the greades , are passionate about your subject and willing to work hard, i would seriously consider to apply
    What can you lose? GOOD LUCK!!
    P.d. just for curiosity, what do you wanna study?

ReputationRep:
    hi! Im eu student too also hoping to apply to Oxford successfully.
    From what ive read, tuition fees are 9000 per annum and no accomodation or college costs for being eu student.
    I also think that the government pays for the tuition if you ask for it, however you will have to pay it back with interest when you are working and earning mora than...(i dont remember the exact figure...:s) you may want to look into that. Oxford also gives, as you have said, a lot of bursaries and financial help, so.. if you are getting the grades and willing to work hard...I would seriously consider applying.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viridiana)
    Hi!

I'm a EU students dreaming about applying (successfully to Oxford.
    However, I am, well, poor - at least in comparison with the British standard of life. In my country my family leads a decent life but due to the difference in the value of our currencies my parents probably wouldn't be able to provide me with any significant help.

From what I gather, as a EU student I can get a tuition fee loan, and if I'm not mistaken, Oxford also cuts the fee by up to 3000 for the poorest students? I would also be considered for a bursary of 4500 a year. It seems to me, too, that there is another 1000 for the taking in your first year, and some colleges like Hertford offer additional bursaries - in case of this college, another 1000.
    It's a whole lot of money, but is it enough to survive on? I did some calculations and it seems that all that money would let me pay for the accommodation and food, but not much more, and there are some other costs for sure, not to mention flights to and from home.

It seems to me that working is discouraged at Oxford and probably there's not much time for that considering the heavy workload. I am a fairly established freelancer though and I could make some additional money through writing - it wouldn't be an amount to see me through each month though...

I have no idea if I could get in but I'd like to assess my financial ability before I start being serious about applying to Oxford so that I don't end up in and unable to go due to finances...
    Does anyone has any experience with making a living without the grants and loans available to Home students?
    Thanks!
    I think you understand the situation correctly:
    • the UK government would give you a loan for your tuition fees, which would be £9000 a year. (only UK students are eligible for the Moritz-Heymann scheme, which gives a £3000 cut for students from low income families)
    • the UK government would not help with your living costs. This puts you at a disadvantage compared to UK students.
    • Oxford gives away money to UK and EU students from low income families. The amounts for students starting in 2016 are not yet public, but they will be very similar to the 2015 levels. The first year bonus doesn’t happen any more. If you're from a <£16000 household you'd get £4500 a year.
    • Working during term is strongly discouraged, but there is a long summer, which is an opportunity to work.

£4500 a year is almost certainly not enough to live on. You should probably be thinking about £5500 minimum, I expect most spend a fair bit more. (Each person will be quite different in what they spend, obviously the more you have, the easier your life would be.)

You've realised already that different colleges offer different financial support. Also note that the cost of accommodation and food can vary between colleges. If you do apply, look at the college websites to try and find those things out. (St John's is a good place to check out for being cheap...)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much!
    Actually I have been thinking about either Hertford or St John's as Hertford seems to be offering this additional 1000 pounds for the poorest students which would put me at the 5500 that you recommend, provided that I get both bursaries... And St John's generally seems rich, cheap, also they offer some kind of discount card - neat.

Could you also tell me something about living self-catered? I've seen some opinions around here about people managing to live comfortably spending as little as 15 pounds up to 40 pounds per week on food while cooking themselves. However, catering seems very expensive at all colleges, making it about 60 pounds a week - a big difference for someone poor. Do you think cooking and shopping is time consuming enough to consider overpaying for not having to take care of it?

Thanks a lot again to you and anyone who might help
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imsomeone)
    Hi!
    From what ive read, uk and eu students only have to pain tuition and personal costs, so no college and accomodation to worry about!
    Tuition fees are 9000 per annum, however, if you ask for it, the uk government pays for the tuition BUT you must pay it all back with interés when you are working and and earning mora than...(i dont remember the figure exactly but it was above 1000..:s u might want to check that out). On top of that as u have said, Oxford offers a generous package of financial aid so I wouldnt worry too much because in the end, its worth it!
    If you are getting the greades , are passionate about your subject and willing to work hard, i would seriously consider to apply
    Good luck with your application!

A few comments:
    Accommodation is NOT FREE - this is part of your 'personal costs'. The 'college fee' thing is I believe just for postgraduate students or international students, and is basically waived for most (all?) undergrads.
    Most students apply for the UK government loan for tuition fees - 9000 pounds is a LOT of money for most students to find each year. As you said, you do need to pay interest on the loan - however unalike private loan companies the repayment conditions are very reasonable - the interest is pretty low (I believe 3% above inflation?) and you don't have to pay it back until you are earning a decent salary. If you haven't paid it back in 30 years then the remaining debt is cancelled.
    As you mentioned, Oxford offers a generous financial aid package - although as FluteFlute says it is still unlikely to fully cover your costs. Most UK students receive a student loan, and sometimes an additional grant, from the government to help with their living costs - and even then wealthier parents are expected to contribute additional money on top. If the Oxford financial package plus parental support will be insufficient to cover your costs, you should consider finding other sources of funding - some countries offer scholarships/ bursaries to students studying abroad, and there may be charities or companies you can apply for for bursaries/ sponsorship.
    I would also suggest strongly factoring finances into your college decision - some are much more expensive or generous than others. In particular, check the costs of accommodation, food (although you can sometimes cook yourself to save money - but check your college has student kitchens!), utilities, kitchen charge, etc. since these can all add up and vary significantly between colleges. As a VERY rough guide, the older/ more prestigious/ richer colleges tend to have cheaper costs and/ or more generous financial aid.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Hi thanks for your input! Are you Spanish? I'm thinking of Comp Science & philosophy

4500 pounds a year seems to be quite a lot to me considering you have to be in Oxford only for half a year... I also have around 2000 pounds saved already myself and I try not to spend it in case I went to study to a British uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    Good luck with your application!

A few comments:
    Accommodation is NOT FREE - this is part of your 'personal costs'. The 'college fee' thing is I believe just for postgraduate students or international students, and is basically waived for most (all?) undergrads.
    Most students apply for the UK government loan for tuition fees - 9000 pounds is a LOT of money for most students to find each year. As you said, you do need to pay interest on the loan - however unalike private loan companies the repayment conditions are very reasonable - the interest is pretty low (I believe 3% above inflation?) and you don't have to pay it back until you are earning a decent salary. If you haven't paid it back in 30 years then the remaining debt is cancelled.
    As you mentioned, Oxford offers a generous financial aid package - although as FluteFlute says it is still unlikely to fully cover your costs. Most UK students receive a student loan, and sometimes an additional grant, from the government to help with their living costs - and even then wealthier parents are expected to contribute additional money on top. If the Oxford financial package plus parental support will be insufficient to cover your costs, you should consider finding other sources of funding - some countries offer scholarships/ bursaries to students studying abroad, and there may be charities or companies you can apply for for bursaries/ sponsorship.
    I would also suggest strongly factoring finances into your college decision - some are much more expensive or generous than others. In particular, check the costs of accommodation, food (although you can sometimes cook yourself to save money - but check your college has student kitchens!), utilities, kitchen charge, etc. since these can all add up and vary significantly between colleges. As a VERY rough guide, the older/ more prestigious/ richer colleges tend to have cheaper costs and/ or more generous financial aid.
    Upss! right, you pay accommodation but not college fee. And yes i9nterest is 3% when you are earning more tan 1750 if i remember correctly...thanks for the correction!

ReputationRep:
    Hi thanks for your input! Are you Spanish? I'm thinking of Comp Science & philosophy

4500 pounds a year seems to be quite a lot to me considering you have to be in Oxford only for half a year... I also have around 2000 pounds saved already myself and I try not to spend it in case I went to study to a British uni
    yeeess im Spaniish though im not going to uni in some years time cause im taking my igcse´s this year... Maybe a bit too early to think about oxford..
    yes saving is a very good idea...hmm im thnking about phyics...maybe math..

ReputationRep:
    yeeess im Spaniish though im not going to uni in some years time cause im taking my igcse´s this year... Maybe a bit too early to think about oxford..
    yes saving is a very good idea...hmm im thnking about phyics...maybe math..
    Will you be doing Bachillerato? Cause I am Yeah physics and math are difficult subjects...

ReputationRep:
    Will you be doing Bachillerato? Cause I am Yeah physics and math are difficult subjects...
    eerrmm..no i follow the english curriculum but studying sociales and lengua...
    which course are you in right now?

ReputationRep:
    eerrmm..no i follow the english curriculum but studying sociales and lengua...
    which course are you in right now?
    I'm in Poland doing the Polish A levels and Bachillerato at the same time

ReputationRep:
    • (Original post by Viridiana)

By the way do you know the equivalent of `conservatorio´ courses with ABRSM?? cause i havent been able to find it from a reliable source.
    Thanks beforehand

ReputationRep:
    • (Original post by Viridiana)
      I'm in Poland doing the Polish A levels and Bachillerato at the same time

i may seem an idiot but...are you polish or spanish??

ReputationRep:
    By the way do you know the equivalent of `conservatorio´ courses with ABRSM?? cause i havent been able to find it from a reliable source.
    Thanks beforehand

Sorry but I have no idea what you're talking about... :/ I'm Polish and attend a Spanish bilingual school You teach yourself Spanish in a year (well, they teach you) and then you can go through the Spanish curriculum and have the Spanish qualification.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but I have no idea what you're talking about... :/ I'm Polish and attend a Spanish bilingual school You teach yourself Spanish in a year (well, they teach you) and then you can go through the Spanish curriculum and have the Spanish qualification.
    oooh I see haahhah if you have any problems with the spanish just askk. and good luck with everything!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.