Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I think my best friend likes me and I like him back but too nervous to ask? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Take the leap of faith and challenge the friendzone! At your own pace and leaping distance of course (who said it had to be one big leap?) XD Just talk to him about it and discuss it with him, and if it's meant to be, it'll happen, but if not, just be best friends. What have you got to lose?

I should take my own advice, I'm so shy ._. Lol, good luck! :hugs:
    • TSR Support Team

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi guys,
    I've been mates with this guy for over 2 years and a few months ago, I developed feelings for him. He's given me some signs that he likes me (but I'm getting mixed signals at the moment). The thing is I don't want to ask him upfront so I was wondering, are there any ways of subtly asking a guy if he likes you?
    This question sounds weird but yeah..
    Why does it always have to be the guy who always takes the lead, if you really like him, why don't you ask him. Otherwise you will be wondering what if, is that what you really want?

ReputationRep:
    Why are you so sure?
    because when i fancied a girl who i was really good friends with, people said that about us and i did the exact same thing as that guy. I was just too much of a pussy to ask her out but i now know she fancied me back then, we dont fancy eachother anymore. thats how i know. If you choose to go with my advice, best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Why does it always have to be the guy who always takes the lead, if you really like him, why don't you ask him. Otherwise you will be wondering what if, is that what you really want?

Quite right.

My sister asked her husband out. She'd still be waiting if it had been upto him. ( He's shy).

Just say, 'come on let's get a coffee/ drink / look at my jam jars / see if we can find that cafe I told you about / a short cut to town etc. '

When you've got him on your own link your arm through his and look adoringly upwards. Smile and say 'you're sweet/ great/lovely....the tone of voice is all important....soft emotional.......if you have to, give him a quick kiss- probably develop into more if he likes you. And , ffs , he surely does. And he'll be eternally grateful. What more do you want?

(Original post by Rainbow Student)
    Take the leap of faith and challenge the friendzone! At your own pace and leaping distance of course (who said it had to be one big leap?) XD Just talk to him about it and discuss it with him, and if it's meant to be, it'll happen, but if not, just be best friends. What have you got to lose?

I should take my own advice, I'm so shy ._. Lol, good luck! :hugs:
    Thank you x

(Original post by pickup)
    Quite right.

My sister asked her husband out. She'd still be waiting if it had been upto him. ( He's shy).

Just say, 'come on let's get a coffee/ drink / look at my jam jars / see if we can find that cafe I told you about / a short cut to town etc. '

When you've got him on your own link your arm through his and look adoringly upwards. Smile and say 'you're sweet/ great/lovely....the tone of voice is all important....soft emotional.......if you have to, give him a quick kiss- probably develop into more if he likes you. And , ffs , he surely does. And he'll be eternally grateful. What more do you want?
    I was actually thinking of giving him a kiss on the cheek but then I chickened out. I wouldn't mind doing it but the idea of rejection terrifies me

ReputationRep:
    I was actually thinking of giving him a kiss on the cheek but then I chickened out. I wouldn't mind doing it but the idea of rejection terrifies me
    Well you can either have the 'rejection' now and for ever because you don't try or you can risk it and potentially live happy ever after. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Are you really going to limit yourself to those men who fancy you and do the approaching - you may not fancy any of them. Or, would you rather do a bit of pick and choose yourself?

What's the worst that could happen? He'll shy away - so you're back to square one but at least you now know you'd better look elsewhere so you've saved yourself a lot of wasted dreams.

Seems like a win win situation to me.

ReputationRep:
    Never going to know if you never even try.

It is risky when you're close friends, especially for a significant period of time, but the flip-side is that if they say yes and you end up in a relationship, the chances are that it'll likely be fruitful one as you pretty much know how to respond to one another.

I'd risk it! I did the same a few years back with a close friend and it didn't quite go well i.e. rejection, but after the initial awkwardness, our friendship became stronger than ever a month or two down the road. I didn't regret doing it and I was quite proud of the fact I went and told them
    Another friend of mine told her best friend he liked her and they're now in a 4 years+ relationship I believe.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you x

How does this instance of PRSOM even make sense? :laugh: And you are welcome. x

(Original post by Rainbow Student)
    How does this instance of PRSOM even make sense? :laugh: And you are welcome. x
    What do you mean? Oh god I am actually so nervous about telling him

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean? Oh god I am actually so nervous about telling him

PRSOM = Please Rate Some Other Members, meaning I went to rep your comment but I had to rep others before repping you "again". Stupid system thing! :rolleyes: Lol and don't worry about it, you'll regret never finding out. Better to just find out and talk about it. If he's a true friend, he'll understand and stay by your side as a friend. But in my opinion it sounds like there's something there.Talk to him. You'll feel better.

ReputationRep:
    OP,

Just tell him, it's always less awkward if the girl does it and easier to recover the friendship if it goes wrong. He's a shy guy, he will never ask you even if he does like you. Ask him and tell us what happens .

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by will2348)
    OP,

Just tell him, it's always less awkward if the girl does it and easier to recover the friendship if it goes wrong. He's a shy guy, he will never ask you even if he does like you. Ask him and tell us what happens .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You think he likes me then?

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty confident, yeah. I think you should ask to meet just the two of you and tell him how you feel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Has he ever given you signs that he likes you back? Or has he ever talked to you about girls that he has fancied in the past?
    Yeah he has. No he just jokes about liking famous girls

ReputationRep:
    :yep:

I think he does, but there's one way to find out

(Original post by IDukem)
    :yep:

I think he does, but there's one way to find out
    I'm incredibly nervous because I liked one of my best mates before and he gave me the signs and everything. He turned me down and we haven't spoken for over 3 years. I'm terrified of the same thing happening again

ReputationRep:
    I'm incredibly nervous because I liked one of my best mates before and he gave me the signs and everything. He turned me down and we haven't spoken for over 3 years. I'm terrified of the same thing happening again
    If this guy flat out doesn't want to be with you in any way shape or form after rejecting you, then it could be seen as you dodging a bullet. Kind of like a silver lining in a way.

It's your call, maybe try weighing up the good with the bad and whatever feels heavier i.e. leans in one direction, go with that

ReputationRep:
    Hoepfully you'll have spent NYE together and will have taken the opportunity as an excuse to have a smooch at midnight :love:

(Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Hoepfully you'll have spent NYE together and will have taken the opportunity as an excuse to have a smooch at midnight :love:
    Nope

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 2015
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.