Goldsmiths really that bad? Watch

doctormbbs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi there,

I had originally put down Goldsmiths college as one of my choices for university but after reading some of the threads on this forum I've been really off-put and am considering changing it to something else...

My question is... is Goldsmiths really as bad as people make out?
Are there any positives?
vixky!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What bad things have you heard?
doctormbbs
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Just the general bad campus in a bad area and overall not an exciting environment to be in.
Eustacia
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For a start, the courses are good and Goldsmiths is highly rated for research, which is what is really important. There are also a lot of extra-curricular activities and there seems to be a good student atmosphere.

As for the area, admittedly New Cross isn't the nicest area, but it's not that bad, and it's easy to get into the rest of London. You need not live your whole university life in the area of your university.

I like Goldsmiths one hell of a lot and really don't understand the bad press it has got in this forum.
banksy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'll make this short and sweet.

(Original post by doctormbbs)
Yes, it really is.

Are there any positives?
Few.
banksy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Eustacia)
For a start, the courses are good and Goldsmiths is highly rated for research, which is what is really important.
Only if you're a research student...I fail to see how high ratings for research improve a universities offerings to undergraduates.
Highlander
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
:toofunny: :eek: you can't just leave it at that. :mad:
Eustacia
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by banksy)

Yes, it really is.

Few.
Can I ask what your reasons are ?

Re: Research, the high quality of the research done by professors shows that the quality of information given to students is high. Goldsmiths is also rated as 'Good' for teaching.
crisalis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i find it really frustrating and incredibly irritating that some of the prospective students rely on this forum to make up their minds. especially as hardly any goldsmiths students are actually registered here. having said that, i can't possibly let this go without recording my own opinion, as a current student, of how i've found my first month here and how i am looking forward to the coming months and years at goldsmiths.

i still cannot believe how lucky, or even 'blessed' i was to be placed in such an amazing flat with such incredible people. never before have i met this many commited students, who have bonded in such a fascinating way! from all around the world, from brighton, norwich, durham, london itelf, hidden places in asia, brazil, china, italy - every corner of the world, all in one place. nobody seems to be afraid of sharing their thoughts and their views about everything or anything. my course, in addition, has mesmerised me as i couldn't believe how much it explores! the teaching is of a high standard and the workload isn't for the lazy type.

it is true, however, that at first, new cross seems not to be a particularly desireable place to live at. but one has to realise that he/she won't be alone here. there are hundreds of students in the area, mostly first years - all in the same/similar position, thus with a thirst for adventures and dreams about london. it is truly awesome what a tube ride does - and even more on the way back when you're worn out and ready for a sit down - at your new home.

now, i did come to this forum for advice too and obviously didn't get much information apart from the odd negative comment from a frustrated soul. i hope this makes it more real for those of you who are interested in this espectacular institution! come visit and see it for yourself, it is your decision afterall.
dismal_laundry
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

Yes, it really is.

Few.
So Banksy, if you go to SOAS as your sig suggests, how much do you know about Goldsmith's and why do you hold such a negative opinion? Please explain. The area isn't "nice" middle class, but there are many people of our age who realize that a cocoon is itself a fragile illusion.
dismal_laundry
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by crisalis)
i find it really frustrating and incredibly irritating that some of the prospective students rely on this forum to make up their minds. especially as hardly any goldsmiths students are actually registered here. having said that, i can't possibly let this go without recording my own opinion, as a current student, of how i've found my first month here and how i am looking forward to the coming months and years at goldsmiths.

i still cannot believe how lucky, or even 'blessed' i was to be placed in such an amazing flat with such incredible people. never before have i met this many commited students, who have bonded in such a fascinating way! from all around the world, from brighton, norwich, durham, london itelf, hidden places in asia, brazil, china, italy - every corner of the world, all in one place. nobody seems to be afraid of sharing their thoughts and their views about everything or anything. my course, in addition, has mesmerised me as i couldn't believe how much it explores! the teaching is of a high standard and the workload isn't for the lazy type.

it is true, however, that at first, new cross seems not to be a particularly desireable place to live at. but one has to realise that he/she won't be alone here. there are hundreds of students in the area, mostly first years - all in the same/similar position, thus with a thirst for adventures and dreams about london. it is truly awesome what a tube ride does - and even more on the way back when you're worn out and ready for a sit down - at your new home.

now, i did come to this forum for advice too and obviously didn't get much information apart from the odd negative comment from a frustrated soul. i hope this makes it more real for those of you who are interested in this espectacular institution! come visit and see it for yourself, it is your decision afterall.
BTW Goldsmiths people- If you are having a great experience, well done and don't be worried if other people who don't go there put it down. You know better.
banksy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dismal_laundry)
how much do you know about Goldsmith's and why do you hold such a negative opinion?
I know quite a bit actually.
Eustacia
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I know quite a bit actually.
Would you care to enlighten us? If you can't then I think it's safe to assume that either you have a vendetta against Goldsmiths, or that in fact you know nothing about the college and are trolling this thread.
akmd
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think banksy is just trying to get a rise out of us. Best to ignore his rambling.

Goldsmiths is a perfectly decent place to study. It may be one of the lesser UoL colleges but that does not make it bad by any means. I'd certainly consider putting it on an application form.
filastini
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I saw crisalis lol, recognised her from her profile pic but was too scared to say hi :afraid:
crisalis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
just say hi!!
fundamentally
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
nt a
Are there any positives?
It isnt as bad as its reputation.
It is slightly better than Birbeck and the London Met.
If you fail to get in anywhere else, it should ok.
akmd
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It isnt as bad as its reputation.
It is slightly better than Birbeck and the London Met.
If you fail to get in anywhere else, it should ok.
WTF? Goldsmiths SLIGHTLY better than the London Met?

I'll think you'll find it's a LOT better than London Met! Goldsmiths is often in the Top 50 unis. London Met don't even allow any data to be released!
RieLouise
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by akmd)
WTF? Goldsmiths SLIGHTLY better than the London Met?

I'll think you'll find it's a LOT better than London Met! Goldsmiths is often in the Top 50 unis. London Met don't even allow any data to be released!
She's being provocative. For some reason she gets a perverse kind of pleasure out of it.
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by BellaCat)
She's being provocative. For some reason she gets a perverse kind of pleasure out of it.
As does that Banksy. Both should be banned from the 'University' sections lol

Research is still of high importance, and Goldsmiths does okay in that department. Whatever research is done gets brought down to undergrad level anyhow, so stupid assumptions from the trolls on this board are nothing but incredulous. Goldsmiths is not a bad university, and most assumtions on this board are merely because half of them are pompous stuck up twits who haven't seen the outskirts of their 10-acre estate.

Put them all in Delhi, and they would have a heart attack.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (879)
79.84%
Leave (222)
20.16%

Watched Threads