Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I dont go to Goldsmiths but appplied to go there. Being part of the university of London gives it a high status (in comapison to other london unis such as Brunels, Westminister, london met). i.e it belongs to the research university group. Being part of the UOL means you can use the libararys and resourses of other uol libararies which is very useful.

Inside the category of Universities of London however it is one of the lower rated unis, maybe because its entry grades are alot most of these unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crisalis)
    just say hi!!
    haha, hi and what else?

Me: Hi, I'm justfurry from TSR

You: :wtf?:

ReputationRep:
    i just read that book called "the alternative guide to British universities" and as i looked at the Goldsmith section, the first opening words were "when my friend looked at the uni, she cried...". seems pretty harsh but i am hearing a lot of negative things im gonna check it out my self but from what im hearing, is there any point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rico dan man)
    i just read that book called "the alternative guide to British universities" and as i looked at the Goldsmith section, the first opening words were "when my friend looked at the uni, she cried...". seems pretty harsh but i am hearing a lot of negative things im gonna check it out my self but from what im hearing, is there any point
    i don't know why it would have said that. goldsmith's buildings are really nice - a mix of old victorian and some really amazing glass modern buildings. if i didn't live so close, i'd have applied there - it's a good university, especially in regards to the arts and i really like it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rico dan man)
    i just read that book called "the alternative guide to British universities" and as i looked at the Goldsmith section, the first opening words were "when my friend looked at the uni, she cried...".
    It isnt that bad.
    On the other hand, it is not too great either.
    It is meant for those who are predicted BBB or less.

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait to go there! When I visited in Summer I realised it was the perfect place for me. I initially didnt want to go to Uni at all, I get good grades but I didn't feel like I wanted three more years of learning just like I've had at school. But Goldsmiths just feels so different, everyone I met was so enthusiastic and independant. Maybe after a few months there I'll feel differently but I don't really care I'm so excited I've got an unconditional offer and I couldnt be happier!

I'm so glad I discovered it, because I could be going somewhere run-of-the mill. I'm not gonna suggest any place because I wouldn't **** off an institute I've never visited, but my school wanted me to apply for Oxbridge and similarly traditional universities. Goldsmiths is so different to anywhere I visited to no one should be put off by the location or statistics (which are still pretty damn good!)

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fundamentally)
    It is meant for those who are predicted BBB or less.
    In that case, why are the entry requirements BBB or higher? The quote of BBB for entrance is (so I'm told) so as not to discourage people who are good students but whose grades have suffered due to background/illness etc, but for others they may raise the entry requirements and the academic standard is as good as anywhere in UoL. I very much doubt you would get in with less than BBB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeehiveC)
    The quote of BBB for entrance is (so I'm told) so as not to discourage people who are good students but whose grades have suffered due to background/illness etc, but for others they may raise the entry requirements and the academic standard is as good as anywhere in UoL.
    UEL have entry requirements of CCC.
    Would you say the same about them , that "the academic standard is as good as anywhere in UoL" ? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    UEL is not in the University of London...

ReputationRep:
    And entry requirements isn't really what you should judge the quality of a university on, is it? If you want to look at league tables, The Guardian league tables put Goldsmiths ahead of Durham and Royal Holloway, and in the subject-specific league tables (Guardian and Times) Goldsmiths is in the top 10 universities for anthropology, art and design, media studies, social policy, sociology and social work. I personally find it a good sign that they can get these results with lower entrance requirements than a lot of other good universities.

ReputationRep:
    I attended Goldsmiths for 2 months, and left with very mixed feelings. I was doing Drama, and HATED every minute of the course (Seriously, don't do the Drama course!) and found the uni itself to be disorganized, stupid and a bit unfriendly (and a bit of a dump - in a way)

However, I met some of the most amazing people there, people I am still friends with. The social life is fantastic, especially if you live in halls, because everyone seems so up-for-it (maybe I was just lucky as to who I was living with) and most people seemed laid-back, open minded and up for a laugh (and a drink! ) yes its true, that its a very arty uni, and the indie scene and all that kinda dominates, if this is your thing (and its mine) then obviously it's great. If not, then well maybe you should check it out first, but don't let it put you off. Let's just say that its not a very traditional uni.

The uni has a really great reputation for Fine Art and media, and people I knew on these courses loved it. Everyone else hated their course LOL - three of the best friends I had there left by Christmas (doing English, Psychology and Sociology) aswell as me. For creative subjects (except Drama!) I would think that it's a great uni to be a student at, because you havea great course and a great social scene. For academic subjects, I would maybe look elsewhere.

Oh and yes, the surrounding area is AWFUL! *scared*

ReputationRep:
    As I sit here in the hallway of my flat @ goldsmiths with my two flatmates/the two of the most amazing people I have ever met. I cannot thank Goldsmiths ENOUGH, and stand by the decision that coming here was the best thing I have ever done.
    There isnt a newspaper which goes by without Goldsmiths being mentioned in it for being the hottest up and coming place to get your degree, last week I read and editorial in the Sunday Times Style magazine about 2 girls in their 3rd of goldsmiths who have just sold their underwear chain to Topshop, they not only design, make and model their stuff but find the time to complete their ENGLISH degree's. Do you find this at other London uni's?
    Its true that alot of people have never heard of Goldsmiths but anyone from a solid creative and educated background knows that Goldsmiths is the UK's LEADING creative arts university.
    I have never met a more friendlier bunch of people than when I moved here and very diverse. My flatmates come from China, USA to Ireland and Manchester.
    If your looking for somewhere which has the cutting edge of creative talent in the UK, refreshing outlooks on life, oppertunities like no other then look no further.
    And.
    For all the people who actually took notice of the other people who are cutting into Goldsmiths on this board, I suggest you go check it out for yourselves, our next open day comes up in Feb I think, and if you still decide that you don't want to be here don't blame me when a Goldsmiths student beats you to the mark in a future job interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slober)
    As I sit here in the hallway of my flat @ goldsmiths with my two flatmates/the two of the most amazing people I have ever met. I cannot thank Goldsmiths ENOUGH, and stand by the decision that coming here was the best thing I have ever done.
    There isnt a newspaper which goes by without Goldsmiths being mentioned in it for being the hottest up and coming place to get your degree, last week I read and editorial in the Sunday Times Style magazine about 2 girls in their 3rd of goldsmiths who have just sold their underwear chain to Topshop, they not only design, make and model their stuff but find the time to complete their ENGLISH degree's. Do you find this at other London uni's?
    Its true that alot of people have never heard of Goldsmiths but anyone from a solid creative and educated background knows that Goldsmiths is the UK's LEADING creative arts university.
    I have never met a more friendlier bunch of people than when I moved here and very diverse. My flatmates come from China, USA to Ireland and Manchester.
    If your looking for somewhere which has the cutting edge of creative talent in the UK, refreshing outlooks on life, oppertunities like no other then look no further.
    And.
    For all the people who actually took notice of the other people who are cutting into Goldsmiths on this board, I suggest you go check it out for yourselves, our next open day comes up in Feb I think, and if you still decide that you don't want to be here don't blame me when a Goldsmiths student beats you to the mark in a future job interview.
    i think goldsmiths is great too. i live nearby and my school had a lot of links to it, which is why i didn't apply (want to live somewhere else in london - sick of south london!)

goldsmiths is GREAT for the arts, which is what people will be applying to do there. there are so many famous and successful artists and people in the media who came from goldsmiths. the students at goldsmiths seem great too - and i like the surrounding area. sure, it is rough, but most of london is. it has a great student vibe and music scene, and is nmore affordable than lots of places, with excellent transport links and loads of pubs and bars.

i'd definitely have applied to goldsmith's for english if i didn't live so close by already :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend started at Goldsmiths in september doing psychology, he got in through clearing as he dropped a grade and couldnt get into his first choice Surry. He went having never looked around and knowing nothing about it which I thought was a huge mistake. However he absolutly LOVES it!! I've never seen him so happy! Ive been up to visit him quite a few times and everyone is so friendly and his accomodation is fantastic (Loring Hall's) it seems great as it is on campus and there is no commute to lectures and central London is only 10 mins away!
    I had been put off applying to London uni's because of the prices and areas where some of the campuses are, yet seeing what an amazing time he is having it's definitly changed my mind!!
    Hope this helps, good luck where ever you go!

ReputationRep:
    ok, from this, i can tell there are alot of die hard fans of this uni here, and a hell of a lot more people who think its crap. i'm one of the people who think its crap. to put it simply, my teacher graduated with psycology there. now she's my general studies teacher. its as simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samanovich)
    ok, from this, i can tell there are alot of die hard fans of this uni here, and a hell of a lot more people who think its crap. i'm one of the people who think its crap. to put it simply, my teacher graduated with psycology there. now she's my general studies teacher. its as simple as that.
    no offence, but maybe your teacher needs to raise her game.
    Blur and Vivienne Westwood graduated from Goldsmiths and now they're Blur and Vivienne Westwood..... :cool:

p.s. You spelt Psychology wrong......

ReputationRep:
    LOL
    I can't wait to go to university and meet such ignorant characters...

I applied to Goldsmiths because it was in London and offered International Relations. It's not a top choice , more of a reserve/ filler but really and truly I wouldn't mind going there. Alot of uni's aren't in great places, or have halls/campus' in non "middle class" areas, but that doesn't stop them from applying to Manchester or Nottingham...
    I have friends who went to Goldsmiths last year who said it's a great uni, that isn't pretentious, it's something you need to see for yourself. I found that it was the type of uni I'd like to go in social terms .... But boyyy, it's your prerogative.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting set of debut posts.

There's no such word as 'alot' btw.

ReputationRep:
    You may notice that the majority of the 'die hard fans' actually go to or went to Goldsmiths, and thus might actually have some idea about the college. As for your teacher, maybe she was lazy at uni and got a 3rd? If so, she would have probably ended up as a General studies teacher wherever she went. Also, please learn to use capital letters.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe she likes General Studies. Or perhaps she likes teaching, or perhaps she likes teachers' hours which allow her to spend more time with her children, or many other reasons. How can you generalize from your teacher to an entire uni? Get serious.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 10, 2010
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.