Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Do I have a right to annoyed? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've recently got together with a guy, and it was going great until the past week.
    He's 20 and has never had a job. He goes to college but that's all. He says he doesn't 'want to give up his weekends of drinking' which really annoys me. He is not even trying to get a job. He gets money from college but blows it in like a week then borrows money from his family. He said he doesn't need a job but he clearly does if hes relying on other people for money!I just don't wanna be with someone who makes no effort to get a job or anything. My parents and friends are not keen on him because he has no job.
    He takes everything as a joke and nothing seriously. I don't want to change him but feel we have different views. This whole week he has been sleeping till like 7 at night. He said everyday he will see me but he sleeps instead. Just feel like i'm waiting around him all the time.

Do i have a right to be annoyed with these kinda things?I do love being with him but I really dont know what to do, I tried to talk to him about it but he doesn't understand.
    help? Ive got depression and anxiety and im just starting to feel better but this had made me feel worse today.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't sound like this is going anywhere. I don't see you being that compatible.

How he lives his life is his business - including whether or not he gets a job whilst he's in college - but if it annoys you already, when it doesn't sound like you've been with him for that long, it will probably grow into a bigger and bigger issue over time.

I do think that you have a right to be annoyed that he keeps saying he'll see you and then he just sleeps instead. If you (general you) make plans with someone, you should keep them. Unless there's a really good reason why you can't. And if it keeps happening, yes, that's irritating. You shouldn't be expected to sit around until he finally makes some time for you.

If you've already spoken with him about it, and he doesn't understand the problem, then I reckon you'll be better off finding someone you're more compatible with.

ReputationRep:
    It's a surprise that you've got with this guy really. Generally girls would go for prospects/status, neither of which this guy has. He sounds like a loser, and his habits aren't compatible with yours. Do you see this going anywhere?

ReputationRep:
    That's not a relationship....

Get out if you have any self respect

ReputationRep:
    sounds like a ****

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to be with him, you are not obligated to be in a relationship with this guy. He sounds like he's not even your type of person (and I'm not surprised, I'm trying to find a good quality about him from what you've written and I can't find one).

If you've got depression, that is even more reason to be with someone who makes you happy, rather than this clown.

If you put up with this you can't complain. He won't change, well he may do in the future but he won't for now, this is just who he is.

If you want to put up with it then do, if not, run for the hills and don't look back.

If you're parents AND friends don't like him then that should tell you all you need to know. Other people's opinions helps a lot, they can look at the situation in another view and they won't be bias.

Open your eyes OP, and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leahjayex)
    I've recently got together with a guy, and it was going great until the past week.
    He's 20 and has never had a job. He goes to college but that's all. He says he doesn't 'want to give up his weekends of drinking' which really annoys me. He is not even trying to get a job. He gets money from college but blows it in like a week then borrows money from his family. He said he doesn't need a job but he clearly does if hes relying on other people for money!I just don't wanna be with someone who makes no effort to get a job or anything. My parents and friends are not keen on him because he has no job.
    He takes everything as a joke and nothing seriously. I don't want to change him but feel we have different views. This whole week he has been sleeping till like 7 at night. He said everyday he will see me but he sleeps instead. Just feel like i'm waiting around him all the time.

Do i have a right to be annoyed with these kinda things?I do love being with him but I really dont know what to do, I tried to talk to him about it but he doesn't understand.
    help? Ive got depression and anxiety and im just starting to feel better but this had made me feel worse today.
    Dont think there's a right to be annoyed with someone you've just got together with. It's either accept them as they are or bail out at this stage. Unless he's bloody fun to be with I would dump him as a waster.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I would only be annoyed if you'd already been together a while and he'd started to do these things.

Why are you with him, if all those things clearly annoy you?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2014
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.