Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is really long winded, but I want to explain my situation properly and looking for the best advice I can get!

I'm 22 years old (about to turn 23) and I attended college when I was 16 but ended up dropping out after receiving the following grades:
    A - A level Literature, C - A level Geography, B - Psychology AS, D - Biology AS
    I worked behind a bar full time until 21 when I went to college and did the Access to Science last year. I completed that last June but chose not to go university that year due to moving house, missing UCAS deadline and not 100% sure of my course.

Fast forward to now; my UCAS hasn't been sent off yet but I have written my personal statement etc. and just getting ready to send it to my old tutor for a reference. However, it is not in a subject I wish to do. I am applying for human biology however but have decided this is not the route I wish to take anymore. I planned on doing my degree then working in some sort of job until I could afford post grad medicine but have realised this is a very unrealistic plan.

I have spent the last couple of months racking my brains to decide on a career and stick to it but I just can't. I asked my mum what she always thought I would do with my life and she said a vet. When I was younger I always wanted to be a vet or a doctor but, whilst I am clever, I'm not that good. Recently I have been looking at veterinary nurse, however, there are limited universities that offer this and I am not in a position to move to university - I was planning on commuting because of housing commitments with my partner and work etc. However, vet nursing is something I could see myself doing, whereas with my human biology degree I can't see what sort of career I could form without post-grad training.

My question is; should I still apply to university for my course? I was thinking of applying, doing a year whilst trying to gain animal work experience, then dropping out after the first year and reapplying. The reason for this is I was told my Access Course is really only useful for 2 years, and this is my second year. After that I'd have to go back to college which I cannot afford. Secondly, I have no experience with animals/in a vet setting. I don't want to waste anymore of my life screwing up decisions and never getting to university. Plus, after 4 years, I hate my job and have not been able to find another (not through lack of trying) and the idea of another year of work and not studying makes me feel sick to my stomach.

Anybody have any good advice? Like I said I'm literally pulling my hair out over this and don't know what to do. I'm so stressed I don't seem to be able to think realistically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tw1x)
    Sorry if this is really long winded, but I want to explain my situation properly and looking for the best advice I can get!

I'm 22 years old (about to turn 23) and I attended college when I was 16 but ended up dropping out after receiving the following grades:
    A - A level Literature, C - A level Geography, B - Psychology AS, D - Biology AS
    I worked behind a bar full time until 21 when I went to college and did the Access to Science last year. I completed that last June but chose not to go university that year due to moving house, missing UCAS deadline and not 100% sure of my course.

Fast forward to now; my UCAS hasn't been sent off yet but I have written my personal statement etc. and just getting ready to send it to my old tutor for a reference. However, it is not in a subject I wish to do. I am applying for human biology however but have decided this is not the route I wish to take anymore. I planned on doing my degree then working in some sort of job until I could afford post grad medicine but have realised this is a very unrealistic plan.

I have spent the last couple of months racking my brains to decide on a career and stick to it but I just can't. I asked my mum what she always thought I would do with my life and she said a vet. When I was younger I always wanted to be a vet or a doctor but, whilst I am clever, I'm not that good. Recently I have been looking at veterinary nurse, however, there are limited universities that offer this and I am not in a position to move to university - I was planning on commuting because of housing commitments with my partner and work etc. However, vet nursing is something I could see myself doing, whereas with my human biology degree I can't see what sort of career I could form without post-grad training.

My question is; should I still apply to university for my course? I was thinking of applying, doing a year whilst trying to gain animal work experience, then dropping out after the first year and reapplying. The reason for this is I was told my Access Course is really only useful for 2 years, and this is my second year. After that I'd have to go back to college which I cannot afford. Secondly, I have no experience with animals/in a vet setting. I don't want to waste anymore of my life screwing up decisions and never getting to university. Plus, after 4 years, I hate my job and have not been able to find another (not through lack of trying) and the idea of another year of work and not studying makes me feel sick to my stomach.

Anybody have any good advice? Like I said I'm literally pulling my hair out over this and don't know what to do. I'm so stressed I don't seem to be able to think realistically.
    What makes you think that your Access to HE Diploma 'expires' after two years? I'm not an expert on them, but I have found nothing to suggest that is the case - including in uni entry requirements.

You would certainly need a lot of experience working with animals to get into Veterinary Nursing.

I can't see any advantage in starting a course next September with the express intention of giving it up after a year. It will cost you a lot of money in the long term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tw1x)

I think going to university and spending all that money on a degree you don't really want to do is pointless.

I'm not aware either that an Access course qualification has a limited 'life', although it could be that what whoever told you this meant was that unis do like to see evidence of recent successful study, and two years may have been the timeframe they had in mind. In that case, you could consider 'keeping your hand in' by doing an OU course in an area that interests you, instead of signing up for a course you really aren't committed to.

On the veterinary nursing option, my understanding is that it can be difficult to get relevant work experience beforehand, and that some courses don't offer clinical placements that you will need to complete the qualification. So you would want to check this out very carefully first. Also, that you are unable to move to do your degree will limit your choices, because not that many unis offer veterinary nursing, but that's your decision to make.

What I would say is that your degree subject is not necessarily in itself what opens up career options for you. Graduate schemes in general do not specify subjects, only grade (usually a minimum of a 2:1). If you can't find the work experience or a suitable course locally to where you live to enable you to do veterinary nursing, human biology - or perhaps zoology? - may be a sensible compromise - but only if you are prepared to spend the money.

It's worth remembering that - contrary to popular belief - many many people go to university for the first time much later in life than aged 18 or 19. They not only survive to tell the tale, but also often do rather well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    I think going to university and spending all that money on a degree you don't really want to do is pointless.

I'm not aware either that an Access course qualification has a limited 'life', although it could be that what whoever told you this meant was that unis do like to see evidence of recent successful study, and two years may have been the timeframe they had in mind. In that case, you could consider 'keeping your hand in' by doing an OU course in an area that interests you, instead of signing up for a course you really aren't committed to.

On the veterinary nursing option, my understanding is that it can be difficult to get relevant work experience beforehand, and that some courses don't offer clinical placements that you will need to complete the qualification. So you would want to check this out very carefully first. Also, that you are unable to move to do your degree will limit your choices, because not that many unis offer veterinary nursing, but that's your decision to make.

What I would say is that your degree subject is not necessarily in itself what opens up career options for you. Graduate schemes in general do not specify subjects, only grade (usually a minimum of a 2:1). If you can't find the work experience or a suitable course locally to where you live to enable you to do veterinary nursing, human biology - or perhaps zoology? - may be a sensible compromise - but only if you are prepared to spend the money.

It's worth remembering that - contrary to popular belief - many many people go to university for the first time much later in life than aged 18 or 19. They not only survive to tell the tale, but also often do rather well.
    Thanks for that, its given me a lot of thought. I was thinking of applying for a university a little further afield (about 1.5 hours commute either way) but on a part time basis, which would enable me to continue working alongside and perhaps do some volunteer work with animals in the meantime.

About the time limit with the access course, yes I think that is what my tutor meant. But studying again this year, particularly at college, isn't really an option because there are no loans available to me.

I understand a lot of people go to university later and I have no ill feelings about the matter, my mum did university at 30. The problem is, I'm just fed up of being stuck in minimum wage jobs, attempting to make ends meet. I want to start building my career up so me and my partner can begin to live comfortably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tw1x)
    Thanks for that, its given me a lot of thought. I was thinking of applying for a university a little further afield (about 1.5 hours commute either way) but on a part time basis, which would enable me to continue working alongside and perhaps do some volunteer work with animals in the meantime.

About the time limit with the access course, yes I think that is what my tutor meant. But studying again this year, particularly at college, isn't really an option because there are no loans available to me.

I understand a lot of people go to university later and I have no ill feelings about the matter, my mum did university at 30. The problem is, I'm just fed up of being stuck in minimum wage jobs, attempting to make ends meet. I want to start building my career up so me and my partner can begin to live comfortably.
    A long commute and part-time work alongside studies will be hard work but rewarding if you can manage it. Certainly a trade-off between the long commute but having more choices about your course could well be worth it.

You can get loans for part-time study now - and that includes the OU, if you are signed up for a degree programme with them. If you decided not to complete it, you would be in the same position as someone who dropped out of regular uni.

I can understand you wanting to get out of minimum wage jobs, but getting a degree doesn't necessarily mean you will never have to do a minimum wage job again. The key to moving into better-paid jobs is developing your skills range - and you don't need a degree to do that. You will have acquired quite a few skills doing your Access course - worth thinking about what these are and refreshing your CV to reflect them better.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.