Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello I need help with the understanding of chemical bonding I know tht they bond to become stable for example oxygen takes beryliums 2 protons so they will both become stable and they will make a compound so they will become berylium oxide correct me on my knowledge and is this ionic or covalent bonds if not what is this called and what is ionic and covalent bonds please give easy example and no wikipedia explaination I would appreciate this thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Read your revision guide/textbook.
    Then come here if your stuck..don't expect people to teach you it. JS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria1812)
    Hello I need help with the understanding of chemical bonding I know tht they bond to become stable for example oxygen takes beryliums 2 protons so they will both become stable and they will make a compound so they will become berylium oxide correct me on my knowledge and is this ionic or covalent bonds if not what is this called and what is ionic and covalent bonds please give easy example and no wikipedia explaination I would appreciate this thank you.
    In simple terms:

Bonding always involves the transfer or sharing of electrons. In ionic bonding electrons are transferred and in covalent bonding they are shared.
    This allows elements to have a full outer shell, and ideally be more stable.
    In this example two electrons are transferred, not protons, to the oxygen giving both a stable electron structure. This attracts them to each other and they form a bond. This is ionic bonding.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria1812)
    For the sake of chemistry, protons NEVER move. Electrons are transferred. The rule is this (at GCSE): every element is maximally stable when it's outer shell has exactly 8 electrons in it. Oxygen as an element has only 6, so in order to get 8 it forms molecules.

There are two ways the electrons can be used in a bond- they can be donated from a metal to a non-metal (ionic bond). Or they can be shared between two non-metals (covalent bond).

ReputationRep:
    An Ionic bond is the electrostatic force of attraction between a positively charged cation (metal) and a negatively charged anion (non-metal) due to a transfer of electrons.

A Covalent bond is the sharing of electrons by two non metals.

Bonding results in stability for the atoms as the transfer or sharing of electrons allows for a full outer shell of electrons to be attained.

Remember that it is always the electrons that are transferred or shared and never the protons which remain tightly i the nucleus.

If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.