Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Boyfriends going to Afghanistan :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, my boyfriend's in the army too - apparently it shouldn't be too dangerous because I think they're mostly working as peacekeepers with the UN now but there'll pretty much always be an element of danger so I guess it's one of those things you kind of have to get used to.

As for your relationship - the likelihood that he's going to go off you just because he's over there is generally considered to be pretty slim - again, without being crude, they're stuck with a load of other guys for however many months so I think he'll generally be pretty pleased to see you again - if anything I've found that the paranoia's usually the other way seeing as it's kind of easier for you to find someone else. Other than that, they have computers and stuff out there so you can still talk on fb etc and sure it takes a bit of extra work to keep it going but if you think it's worth it then it doesn't have to be the end of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,

I met a guy in summer who is in the army and these last few months have been absolutely amazing. We get on so well and I love spending time with him. He makes me so happy!

However, in a few months time he is going to Afghanistan for 5 months and I am really scared of what that's going to do to our relationship. What if 5 months away from me makes me realise he doesn't like me? And of course what if he dies .

I know I have about three months till he goes away but for the next few months he is on a course so we will only be seeing each orher every other weekend if that so that may make me
    "Get used to" not seeing him.

But I am really scared and worried.
    Give him a small photo of you he can take there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guy Secretan)
    What did you first find attractive about him also how long into the relationship did you sleep with him.
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The time passes faster than youd think
    My fiance was away for 3 months and we live together! So it was a real shock to the system. It was hard and time does drag sometimes but before you know it it is time to come home!

Make sure to send him parcels (of useful stuff! They often have more shower gel etc than they could drown in because they get sent so much) as they love recieving them and just write letters etc.

If you want to talk about it then do so, but remember youve only been with him a few months and this IS HIS JOB. That will always win. They dont look at it like we do. My partner always said about how excited he was to go and when od get upset because i felt like he wanted to leave me hed get exasperated becaise this is what he trains for, his whole point of a job. Always, always remember that.

Good luck x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2015
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.