Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Best and worst signings of the season so far? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Sanchez is worth about £50m and Arsenal got him for £30m. Not sure if Cesc or Costa are worth much more than the £30m/£35m Chelski parted with in contrast.

Pelle, Tadic, Perez, Colback all brilliant too.

It's not so apparent yet, but I also suspect people will look back on the £12m Arsenal paid for Calum Chambers as a great bit of business from this year too.

Worst signing is Mangala. Obviously LFC and Falcao make up some of the worst too.
    Pretty sure you're tweaking the prices to suit your argument. Following prices are from transfermarkt.

Sanchez was £37m, Costa £33m, Fabregas £29m. All great buys and considering you sold Fabregas to Barca for £35m, we landed a bargain seeing as we have him for his best years. Costa has been worth his fee too, very difficult to land a huge name striker for that kind of price right now.

Chambers cost £17m, quite overpriced for a player who is Debuchy's deputy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't call 12M for Chambers great business, same with Chamberlain, it's just simple paying for potential, Chelsea did the same with Lukaku e.g.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Pretty sure you're tweaking the prices to suit your argument. Following prices are from transfermarkt.

Sanchez was £37m, Costa £33m, Fabregas £29m. All great buys and considering you sold Fabregas to Barca for £35m, we landed a bargain seeing as we have him for his best years. Costa has been worth his fee too, very difficult to land a huge name striker for that kind of price right now.

Chambers cost £17m, quite overpriced for a player who is Debuchy's deputy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Transfermarkt are frequently wildly inaccurate with transfer fees. Not a single credible source has Sanchez at anywhere but £30m-£35m and Calum Chambers certainly didn't cost £17m initially, £12m was the basic fee(rising potentially to £15m IIRC)

According to them, Vermaelen was sold for £9m for instance when every single Spanish and British source quotes £15m.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Fabregas easily the best signing - he's been instrumental for chelsea.

Worst - hard to look past nick powell; only a loan but a donkey on the pitch and an awful attitude off it, no wonder he's hardly played.

Just looking at my team, Ulloa has been a decent signing - averaging a goal every 4 shots, given a run and regular service that's a prolific season

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think a loan can really be considered the worst signing. I mean the exact same can be said of Balotelli for example (donkey with an awful attitude) and he cost 16m.

ReputationRep:
    Best is obvious: Sánchez, Costa and the snake Fabregas

Alex Song has been great for West Ham aswell even though he is a ****

Worst: Balotelli (to think we got Welbeck for the same price), the majority of Liverpool's other signings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClockEnderAFC)

Worst: Balotelli (to think we got Welbeck for the same price), the majority of Liverpool's other signings
    pathetic
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fideo)
    I don't think a loan can really be considered the worst signing. I mean the exact same can be said of Balotelli for example (donkey with an awful attitude) and he cost 16m.
    I don't think that it being a loan makes much difference -most signings have shown at least glimpses of what the manager saw in them, Powell however we spent ages chasing and prioritising, missing out on other targets, he turned up with a disruptive attitude, as a result he's been a complete waste of a squad place and when he's played if anything he's cost us points (wasteful nonsense vs WBA when a point was definitely attainable and all three was realistic). However, I'd forgot about balotelli - who is essentially that but also a waste of the Suarez money, so yeah - balotelli is the worst signing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if Ulloa's great business. Obviously, in terms of Leicester City's current ability/squad, he is a standout player. But two goals in thirteen appearances isn't prolific and he won't have the ability to keep them up, whereas say, Austin will at QPR.

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised there's been no mention of Bojan. Cost £500k and he's been man of the match in most games he's played.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClockEnderAFC)

Welbeck has been pretty rubbish in general but has basically stat padded with one good CL performance vs Galatasaray and scoring for England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Welbeck has been pretty rubbish in general but has basically stat padded with one good CL performance vs Galatasaray and scoring for England.
    Arsenal have been rubbish in general though tbf. He's scored the winning goals vs West Ham and West Brom away for instance and showed enough to suggest he'll be a solid £16m signing. I think he will improve quite a bit as well after a year or two on the training ground with AW. Obviously Gala were making him look world class, but he showed glimpses that night of a potentially top striker. And obv he's killed it for England.

But end of the day, Welbeck is never going to be a 30 goal a season striker but he offers enough all round to be worthwhile.

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite happy with Welbeck tbh. Since Giroud came back from injury Welbeck's been played out wide but when he plays down the middle he's a good option to have and can score, but even out wide his work rate is excellent and he contributes a lot to the team. Hopefully with that ****ing idiot Giroud getting suspended Welbeck will get a decent run of games and kick on from his goal vs West Ham.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Transfermarkt are frequently wildly inaccurate with transfer fees. Not a single credible source has Sanchez at anywhere but £30m-£35m and Calum Chambers certainly didn't cost £17m initially, £12m was the basic fee(rising potentially to £15m IIRC)

According to them, Vermaelen was sold for £9m for instance when every single Spanish and British source quotes £15m.
    Their 'market value' figures always make me laugh. £17.6m for Podolski, yet £15m for De Gea?

£5m for Anderson is my personal favourite. We'd be lucky to get a bid of 50p and a Wispa chocolate bar.

ReputationRep:
    Mario Balotelli probably the worst, for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I actually expected Bojan to flop quite hard, so it's refreshing to see he isn't.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Bump, any updates to this now the season is all but over?

Going to put Cresswell, Bojan, Can, Bertrand, Fabregas, Sanchez and Herrera in the 'good' category.

Falcao, Mangala, Balotelli, Lovren and everyone QPR signed are the worst.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)

Going to put Cresswell, Bojan, Can, Bertrand, Fabregas, Sanchez and Herrera in the 'good' category.

Don't agree on Fabregas and Mangala really, but the others are good calls. I'd add blind and and Alderweireld to the 'good'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)

Fabregas and Costa are the two clear standouts, they've won the league title.

Shaw has been utter ****e all season (including too many pork pies and constant injury), luckily he's young and he should come good next season.

ReputationRep:
    Best
    - Diego Costa
    - Fraser Forster
    - Alexis Sanchez

Worst
    - Di Maria
    - Falcao
    - Van Gaal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)

Balotelli and Lovren are awful.

By the way what have you seen that suggests Herrera is good? I've seen nothing for him. He doesn't influence games and he's nowhere near Fabregas' level despite costing a similar amount. What exactly is good about him, or do you just like his style?

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.