Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eggpotato)
    You would think so, but I guess my sheer laziness and lack of motivation brought me down... I absolutely hated geography.

I thought I could manage a D without revising but I guess I'm not as smart as I thought haha. Leaving a couple of smart-ass comments on the paper probably didn't help either. I recall responding to a question with something like "not choosing a subject like geography would have helped".
    I hated it too at AS. Too boring lol

Hahahaha that's hilarious. I did something similar at GCSE on a biology paper

ReputationRep:
    I haven't revised at all and I have 1 week left until my mocks! :afraid:
    I'm doing History, English Language and Maths!
    I don't know what to do either, and I've been procrastinating to the max

Anybody doing the same subjects as me? Any tips, tricks and advice for quick revision?

ReputationRep:
    I done my mocks before christmas and got:
    Biology - A
    Geography - A
    Psychology - B

I started studying in September; I just go over my notes every night after the gym and I find it's extremely effective. Good luck everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    And you ended up applying to Cambridge! I did badly in chem tests, but I know why. It was because I just did them without even knowing things. But once I got the tests back, I saw what went wrong and just rectified that with a teacher.

I just don't understand how that happens in real exams without ECs
    Haha yeah! I'm not really a very obvious applicant, no one really expects that much of me so that just makes me more determined to do well!
    And I know what you mean, it seems pretty impossible to get quite such a low score without ECs, to be honest with my mocks I'd done loads of revision, but I hadnt really been revising properly, if you know what I mean. I've got my revision techniques nailed now!

Good luck for the 10th Jan! I'm rooting for you!
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by subjunctivehistorian)
    Haha yeah! I'm not really a very obvious applicant, no one really expects that much of me so that just makes me more determined to do well!
    And I know what you mean, it seems pretty impossible to get quite such a low score without ECs, to be honest with my mocks I'd done loads of revision, but I hadnt really been revising properly, if you know what I mean. I've got my revision techniques nailed now!

Good luck for the 10th Jan! I'm rooting for you!
    :eek:
    Yeah, people spend hours with a revision technique that is quite frankly **** for them. I think it's about how you work, like my way of past papers works for me, and it means I only need to spend minimal time prepping. So everyone needs to find their most effective way.

Ah thanks a lot! Hope it goes well for us both :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sacred Ground)
    I done my mocks before christmas and got:
    Biology - A
    Geography - A
    Psychology - B

I started studying in September; I just go over my notes every night after the gym and I find it's extremely effective. Good luck everyone.

Thats good. I just started my own study routine and its turning out to be really effective. If only I started at the same time as you. Goes to show that studying is better than last minute revision.

You will also have to study quite effectively. I finding that reviewing your notes the next day, next week and month helps to achieve recall of information, especially if you study biology which is a rather content based subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carstairs)
    i haven't done a scrap of revision yet and i feel awful........but not awful enough to do anything about it...
    I've done only the barest amount for maybe 2 of my subjects lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Solid)
    Thats good. I just started my own study routine and its turning out to be really effective. If only I started at the same time as you. Goes to show that studying is better than last minute revision.

You will also have to study quite effectively. I finding that reviewing your notes the next day, next week and month helps to achieve recall of information, especially if you study biology which is a rather content based subject.
    I recite my notes every time I walk the dog, I can recall most things from unit 1. The joys of dog walking.

ReputationRep:
    Basically you would need to apply next year with ukcat or bmat, also be careful that some schools are picky about re-sitting AS modules when you are doing A2s.

The bit that worry me is your math, if you work as hard as f*** even A*s are possible next year(i am doing the same subjects with further maths as well (economics till AS only) ). People not going to top unis like oxbridge for medicine will usually go for the ukcat( timed MC instead of written answers ) 1/4 of it is called quantitative reasoning, which is a bit like C1 and easy bits of S1 and M1 without calculators. (GCSE level maths and physics)

Also, they do look at your GCSE profile and I assume it is not as strong as other candidates, perhaps you might want to consider some access to medicine courses...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Solid)
    Here we can discuss our mocks that we done for A-levels or any mocks coming up. So far I got:

D for Maths, D for Biology, E for Chemistry and C for economics.

Does anyone think that I can get all four A's for AS by the end of this year? Is there enough time?
    Man my parents hate me now man, they had such high expectations of me!
    I need to get into medicine!
    You absolutely absolutely can. I was in exactly the same position - I had never got higher than a D in any mock papers especially for chemistry and Cs and Bs for bio. Practice papers are the key, I seriously fell down in that stance. You can absolutely do it, if you need any more specificity I'm happy to help but for a minute don't think you can't because it's doable if you put time into it and revise smart!

Good luck buddy!

ReputationRep:
    I got Ds and an E in my mocks last year, and even though I worked really hard after I got those results, I only went up to Cs and a D. I'm redoing the year, so luckily I get another chance, but it's imperative that you work hard from the very beginning of the year (not just doing what's expected, like homework); it's unlikely you'll ever really catch up otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    Start revising from examiner reports!

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.