Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Help me lose weight! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't have scales in my flat but I weighed myself while I was home visiting my family for Christmas and ive ballooned to 11stone 2lbs! I knew I'd put on a bit of weight but didn't realise it was that much. Ive worked out that this means my bmi is now 28.3

I really need to lose weight, for my health and also to look better, but I don't know why I'm putting so much weight on, I didn't think I ate that much but it must be coming from somewhere!

Any tips or help with making meal plans would be appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    calorie deficit, it's that simple, the ONLY way to lose weight/fat is to consume less calories than you burn, calculate your tdee and eat a moderate 20% deficit to it to lose weight

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

no need for fad diets just eat food you like and be at a deficit every day, exercise 3-5x a week preferably lift weights and don't get deficient on protein or dietary fat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greg Jackson)
    calorie deficit, it's that simple
    I tried that but it's so difficult to only eat 1000 calories a day and not feel absolutely starving

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Odd socks)
    I tried that but it's so difficult to only eat 1000 calories a day and not feel absolutely starving

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you don't need to limit yourself to 1000 calories, just eat less than your TDEE with a MODERATE DEFICIT, e.g. if your tdee is 2000 cals, a 20% deficit = 1600 cals a day

ReputationRep:
    you don't need to limit yourself to 1000 calories, just eat less than your TDEE with a MODERATE DEFICIT, e.g. if your tdee is 2000 cals, a 20% deficit = 1600 cals a day
    So I worked out tdee and with a 20% deficit thats 1360 a day Id be allowed, ive heard people say that it's not healthy to eat so little, but if I eat more then I end up a whale

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I saw on the post above that you get hungry only eating 1000 kcal a day, so I found this diet that allows you to be completely satisfied, be healthy and still lose weight. And it's super easy to follow. Check it out: http://authoritynutrition.com/how-to...t-as-possible/
    It worked for me!

P.S. I know this sounds like I work for them and am advertising their website but I'm not really. I just want to help others like this diet helped me

ReputationRep:
    So I worked out tdee and with a 20% deficit thats 1360 a day Id be allowed, ive heard people say that it's not healthy to eat so little, but if I eat more then I end up a whale

Posted from TSR Mobile
    how tall are you? what did it give you for tdee and bmr? you shouldn't have to go under your BMR with a moderate deficit and you do some exercise 3-5x a week

ReputationRep:
    how tall are you? what did it give you for tdee and bmr?
    I'm 5'2", BMR was 1432 and TDEE was 1719. I put down 'desk job' because my job isn't active and I don't have time or money to go to the gym

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The biggest advice I have is to drink a glass of water before every meal, I know that from a nutritionist. It makes you feel fuller and you end up eating less, but it might help in other way too. Also, drink omega 3 pills or eat plenty of fish (and avoid chicken soup and skin, in case you are eating them). This actually helps you lose weight and is not hard at all to do

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5'2", BMR was 1432 and TDEE was 1719. I put down 'desk job' because my job isn't active and I don't have time or money to go to the gym

Posted from TSR Mobile
    OK well without feeding your insecurities, first thing you should change is time to exercise! This will make dieting SIGNIFICANTLY easier

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    well exercise then, that way you can eat more while losing weight, trying to diet while being sedentary and not exercising sucks so bad because your tdee is so low as it is and you end up having to eat as low as like 1200 cals a day, lol **** that **** i aint about that life

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol 1000 calories isn't enough, 1500 with decent exercise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    OK well without feeding your insecurities, first thing you should change is time to exercise! This will make dieting SIGNIFICANTLY easier
    I can't afford to go to the gym, and all the things that are free mean that people will look at me and see how fat and unfit I am and laugh at me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I can't afford to go to the gym, and all the things that are free mean that people will look at me and see how fat and unfit I am and laugh at me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    a) Didn't say you had to go to the gym! Walking is a good start!

b) It's January, the gym will be full of people in the same boat as you :hugs: this is DEF your insecurities talking now

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nobody laughs at fat people at the gym, if anything you would be commended for doing something about it. You could just take a 30 minute walk every day on top of your normal daily activities, reduce calorie intake to about 1,600 (based on the information you've provided) and the fat will melt off (not literally, but you know what I mean). It's all about consistency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iama)
    The biggest advice I have is to drink a glass of water before every meal, I know that from a nutritionist. It makes you feel fuller and you end up eating less, but it might help in other way too. Also, drink omega 3 pills or eat plenty of fish (and avoid chicken soup and skin, in case you are eating them). This actually helps you lose weight and is not hard at all to do
    I'll try the water thing :yep: can you still take omega 3 pills if you're allergic to fish?

well exercise then, that way you can eat more while losing weight, trying to diet while being sedentary and not exercising sucks so bad because your tdee is so low as it is and you end up having to eat as low as like 1200 cals a day, lol fuk that **** i aint about that life
    Yeah being as short as I am sucks I know I need to exercise but I can't afford the gym, and my asthma makes running difficult

(Original post by Infan2a)
    Lol 1000 calories isn't enough, 1500 with decent exercise
    Right, I guess im gonna have to find some form of exercise im not absolutely awful at

(Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    a) Didn't say you had to go to the gym! Walking is a good start!

b) It's January, the gym will be full of people in the same boat as you :hugs: this is DEF your insecurities talking now
    But if I walk at anything more than a normal walking pace then people will see me waddling along the street and laugh or make comments (my dad does this when he sees overweight women so I know it happens)

ReputationRep:
    I'll try the water thing :yep: can you still take omega 3 pills if you're allergic to fish?

Yeah being as short as I am sucks I know I need to exercise but I can't afford the gym, and my asthma makes running difficult

Right, I guess im gonna have to find some form of exercise im not absolutely awful at

But if I walk at anything more than a normal walking pace then people will see me waddling along the street and laugh or make comments (my dad does this when he sees overweight women so I know it happens)
    ive literally never seen this happen in real life srs, nobody cares what strangers are doing when they're walking down the street it is all in your head, tbh sounds more like you're making up excuses to not have to exercise, lettuce be reality the only person you're screwing over is yourself, I gave you all the information you need to get started now it's up to you to follow my advice. If you can't run then an hour's fast walking first thing in the morning while eating at bmr is fine and the weight will drop off, the the question is Do you want to stay fat? yes or no? how badly do you want it? because that's what it comes down to, I'm done sugar coating it because you'll eat that too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Econometrics)
    Nobody laughs at fat people at the gym, if anything you would be commended for doing something about it. You could just take a 30 minute walk every day on top of your normal daily activities, reduce calorie intake to about 1,600 (based on the information you've provided) and the fat will melt off (not literally, but you know what I mean). It's all about consistency.
    Okay, so 30 minutes walking is all Id need every day? I was expecting that im so fat Id have to spend hours at the gym. I really hope you're right and people don't laugh at me, I look horrendous

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's good but it won't take effect fast, so be prepared. I fully recommend it though, it's a miracle worker.
    Uhm, I don't think you can, they're natural fish fat, but you can search it. If you can't, drink green tea or take green tea pills, those are also great instead.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    1,360 calories is fine. Being overweight is not healthy

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.