Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    They sent me both my TV license, and a rude letter telling me I don't have a license, on the same day (today).

I've had the license since 6th October :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i don't have one. they don't actually know that you don't have one. they're trying to get you to admit it.

ReputationRep:
    ohhhhhh...i seeeee now. my original thoughts (never read threads properley) were that you'd resisted license-dom and they were trying to make you think they'd caught you.

ReputationRep:
    i got sent those threatening letters all of last year...and i didnt own a tv

it got to the point of 'if you dont pay now we will fine you'
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Spig)
    ohhhhhh...i seeeee now. my original thoughts (never read threads properley) were that you'd resisted license-dom and they were trying to make you think they'd caught you.
    No, it just seems to be an extreme case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand's doing.

Although, TV Licensing aren't the brightest bunch around, I'll admit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spig)
    i don't have one. they don't actually know that you don't have one. they're trying to get you to admit it.
    You do know that if you are using a TV which gets its power from an electrical mains socket and are receiving ANY form of TV broadcasting, it's illegal not to have a TV license.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/students.jsp

On a side note - Popular Excuses

ReputationRep:
    i see. i don't think they're well organised at all.

a word abt TV Liscensing to all fellow evaders:

1) you are not legally obliged to let them search your house. politely tell them to **** off.

2) you are far more likely to get caught if you're at uni so probably not a good bet.

3) if you want to buy a telly, use a different postcode.

me is a hustler.:cool:

i know you;re not an evader OP, but hey ho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deej)
    You do know that if you are using a TV which gets its power from an electrical mains socket and are receiving ANY form of TV broadcasting, it's illegal not to have a TV license.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/students.jsp

you do know that i TOTALLY don't care abt it being legal. :rolleyes: sorry, but i obey rules which have some kind of logic ie. speed cameras as opposed to laws which merely line the pockets of people far richer than me.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by deej)
    Most of them seem like propaganda, but I liked:
    (Original post by Supersonic detection)
    While visiting a property that was listed as not having a TV Licence a woman answered the door together with some young children. The woman apologised for being in such a fluster and explained that she had just moved in and was just on her way out to collect the other children from school.

The Enforcement Officer asked if she had managed to get a TV Licence sorted. She said she had and she knew exactly where it was - in a shoebox on top of the wardrobe in the upstairs front bedroom. She asked if the he could call back later.

When he returned, the woman's husband answered the door. The Enforcement Officer asked if he could see the TV Licence. The man explained that they were in a bit of a state as they had just moved in and he didn't know where the licence was, his wife normally looked after that sort of thing.

At the exact moment that the officer explained that the licence was in a shoebox on top of the wardrobe in the upstairs front bedroom - a detector van drove past. "Flippin' heck," the man said, "I knew your detector vans were good but I didn't know they were that good."
    ( - and yes, Spig, I know the "detector" vans don't)

and

(Original post by The wife)
    The most common reaction from men confronted by TV Licensing Enforcement Officers is: "Oh, I thought my wife was dealing with it."
    (:rolleyes:)

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.