Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,
    Yes it is time for the TOK presentation to be done. :p:
    Since I am quite interested in business I would like to do a presentation on that but I have no ideas what so ever of a good and interesting topic.
    A friend did outsourcing and my tok teacher proposed to do something on globalization but that does not interest me because the subject is too broad.
    Do you have any ideas?

Thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    would this be a good subject to discuss in class?
    are monopolies harmful (beneficial) to the corporate world?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    for the TOK presentation, you shouldn't just pick a general question lke the one you just suggested. it's more to the point of you finding a specific situation and discuss the TOK around it. for example, re monopolies: find one (or more) company that does hold a monopoly somewhere and discuss the TOK specifically around the situation with those companies. you are supposed to work the TOK issues around the examples, not work the examples around the TOK issues. meaning you base your discussion of the issues on the example you've selected, no find the issues first them go find examples to match them.

ReputationRep:
    HMs advice is good, I'd just possibly add a possible topic... Aid, how is it a disadvantage for a LDC? (too broad question, but narrow it down to a specific country you find something interesting about) You may also consider whether it can be morally a 'good' thing for the West to give aid if it actually disadvantages the development in the LDC... And hmm, this question possibly was more economics than business... You could also look at the role of a MNC in an LDC and talk about ethics around issues that occur (of course focus question on specific example).

ReputationRep:
    thank you guys
    I ll think about your suggestion.

After brainstroming with my family this topic came up
    -nuclear energy (find example )

What do u think?
    JeiB

ReputationRep:
    nuclear energy as a presentation concerning physics? Physics is fun...

though I think it is possible to deal with the topic, but find a recent example and provoke the listeners, they do not want to hear that nuclear energy is dangerous and possibly not the best source of energy etc. that will leave them with the 'so what' experience after a presentation...

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks for the advice
    If you have more ideas, please post them
    Thank you for your time

ReputationRep:
    erm dan is doing his on business...where are you dan?

ReputationRep:
    I did mine on ... can't remember now...
    Oh yeah, creating a test tube baby for the purpose of being a stem cell donor - "saviour sibling" babies.

ReputationRep:
    as opposed to dan who has about a third of your post count and has three gems? I feel you.

EDIT: Why why why is this post in this thread? I swear I post it on the other thread where we were talking about andy's post count (oh yeah, BratMUN). How on earth did it jumpt to here???)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HMSChocolate)
    as opposed to dan who has about a third of your post count and has three gems? I feel you.
    Damn, I didn't know it was wreck andy day today... ROFL.

Yeah I'm doing my ToK on business - not going to tell you the title because I don't want to be giving you my super idea. But yeah its possible - ethics in business-related work is imperative so its pretty much going to be involved in most case studies you look at.

For example Google's content filter in China that goes against their idea of "free information for all". Is it right for them to make money off of something that disregards their philosophy that was outlined when they first started??

ReputationRep:
    Oh, yeah another topic I considered doing was Chinese sensorship of movies. Btu that was back when Memoirs of a Geisha and Brokeback Mountain were jsut released and the Chinese government was banning both of them.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.