The Student Room Group

Help! A-Level Maths for a Scottish Student

Hi, I'm a Scottish student doing Advanced Higher Maths and Applied Maths: Mechanics right now (the Scottish equivalent of A-level). Unlike A-levels however we have no 'Further Maths', nor do we have the flexibility of choosing 'modules'. Now, I really enjoy maths and would be motivated enough to do an A-level course in Further Maths in my own time (my Advanced Higher pretty much covers the normal A-level Maths). But, I'm a complete stranger to the system!

Could someone please explain to me how the A-level courses are structured? If I wanted to do Further Maths at A-level, do I choose the specific modules I want to do? Do I then get examined on these modules, on separate dates? Is it actually too late for me now to have the time to be examined on all the modules? And what are all these exam boards about - do I just go with any of them?

I haven't done 'AS levels' obviously - is it permitted to simply sit an A-level this way?

My school would be able to get me registered with an English exam board if I wanted to do the A-level.

Thank you!
Original post by Ecasx
Hi, I'm a Scottish student doing Advanced Higher Maths and Applied Maths: Mechanics right now (the Scottish equivalent of A-level). Unlike A-levels however we have no 'Further Maths', nor do we have the flexibility of choosing 'modules'. Now, I really enjoy maths and would be motivated enough to do an A-level course in Further Maths in my own time (my Advanced Higher pretty much covers the normal A-level Maths). But, I'm a complete stranger to the system!

Could someone please explain to me how the A-level courses are structured? If I wanted to do Further Maths at A-level, do I choose the specific modules I want to do? Do I then get examined on these modules, on separate dates? Is it actually too late for me now to have the time to be examined on all the modules? And what are all these exam boards about - do I just go with any of them?

I haven't done 'AS levels' obviously - is it permitted to simply sit an A-level this way?

My school would be able to get me registered with an English exam board if I wanted to do the A-level.

Thank you!

You can't do further maths without also doing maths at A level.
This means you taking 12 maths exams. You are not too late to register for exams in the summer but could you fit the exams into your summer schedule ? The syllabus is very flexible and you'd have choices on options that are explained in the specifications on the examiners web sites

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ecasx

Thank you!

A levels are sat over 2 years.

In year 1, for 16-17 year olds, you do AS levels, which is graded from E-A.

In year 2, for 17-18 year olds, you do A2 levels, which is graded from E-A*.

Both the AS and A2 level weigh 50% towards your A level.

Anyway, you can choose any board which appeals most to you. AQA is the most established, but Edexcel is the most common for maths.

To do A level further maths you must also do A level maths, which, if you're already covering maths, will be more than easy.

Maths AS consists of:

Core 1
Core 2
Decision 1/ Statistics 1/ Mechanics 1 (you choose).

Further Maths AS consists of:

FP1
Decision 2/ Statistics 2/ Mechanics 2
Decision 1/ Statistics 1/ Mechanics 1

Obviously, you can't overlap.

Maths A2 is:

Core 3
Core 4
Decision 2/ Mechanics 2/ Statistics 2

Further Maths A2 is

Further Pure 2
Further Pure 3/ Further Pure 4
Decision 2/ Mechanics 2/ Statistics 2
Reply 3
Original post by Ecasx
Hi, I'm a Scottish student doing Advanced Higher Maths and Applied Maths: Mechanics right now (the Scottish equivalent of A-level).

Thank you!

You can't take Further Maths without also taking Maths. Doing all of both in a single exam season would require you to take 12 90 min exams spread from 11 May-24 June. (The exact dates depend on exactly which units you pick and whch exam board but are available now.)

To take Maths you have to do 6 units:
Core Maths 1-4 (that's 4 units of pure maths), plus 2 applied Maths units
To take Further Maths you have to take another 6 units
Further Pure 1,
at least 1 from FP2 and FP3
Any other units you've not already done to make the 6.

As an example, a fairly standard collection would be:
C1-4
FP1-3
Mechanics 1-3
Statistics 1 & 2
but there are other applied options available such as Decision Maths.

The entry deadline for this sumer is 21 February so you would need to make your mind up fairly soon. Edexcel or AQA are probably the most common boards for Maths, but check to see which board(s) your school is registered with. (There's not a massive difference in content but the approach varies a bit.)

Quick Reply

Latest