Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Guys hitting on your girlfriend Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I've had issues with this from time to time.
    When I was a little younger I didn't mind the prospect of going to prison. So I was very quick to attack guys who did this.

however I've been interested in careers in which you need a clean CRB check. So I've had to try to develop new habits on how to deal with these situations.

I've found peoples points of view quite interesting on this.

The fact of the matter is it's disrespectful. Its making you look a fool in front of your partner and whoever else may be present.

Now a female friend of mine blames girls for this. She said in many of these situations the guys would not be hitting on the girl if they had not received either signal or reciprocation in the communication.

Now this is a tough one for girls too as being polite or just speaking to a guy can lead the guy into that more inappropriate but difficult to prove area of hitting on someone.

just curious on your guys thoughts, opinions, experiences of this? both guys and girls.

ReputationRep:
    - this is part of life, dating is a competitive business..
    - disrespectful thought it is, it is not clever nor civilised to respond with violence
    - best bet in this situation is to treat the guy with icy destain and your girl with love and affection..

ReputationRep:
    this happened to a girl I picked up in the bar, I responded by exchanging banter and made him look like a fool when I got him with the sly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick.w)
    Its making you look a fool in front of your partner and whoever else may be present.
    If she tells him where to shove his line, I imagine it would have the opposite effect.

ReputationRep:
    I've had guys hit on me whilst my boyfriend is stood there and find it weird that they would try whilst he's stood there holding my hand or with his arm around me. I just say no thanks, i'm not interested or if they don't take the hint i just tell them to go away or walk off with my bf.
    It's happened when he's not there as well. I've told him about it as I'd rather he heard about it from me, and he trusts me so knows I would tell them I'm not interested. I think that if a guy trusts his girlfriend then it shouldn't bother him unless the guy is very persistent or forceful with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't blame girls for guts hitting on them.. Guys just do wwhatever...

I was hitting on a girl in a club once and her bf was with her..I didn't know it was her bf but I was still hitting on her lol the bf did **** all coz he obviously felt inferior

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophi12)
    I've had guys hit on me whilst my boyfriend is stood there and find it weird that they would try whilst he's stood there holding my hand or with his arm around me.
    Far too many guys these days have absolutely 0 class and respect. They would probably even come up with stuff like "well you gotta try, show her there is something better out there" or "she deserves someone better" or something along those lines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarcasticMel)
    Far too many guys these days have absolutely 0 class and respect. They would probably even come up with stuff like "well you gotta try, show her there is something better out there" or "she deserves someone better" or something along those lines.
    Haven't hear those ones before. I would probably tell them to do one, especially if it's someone i don't know

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What if they don't know she has a boyfriend? Surely you can't blame them then.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    The last time I went out I had one guy put his hands all over my arse despite the fact it was clear I was with my boyfriend, and one guy who kindly asked if the guy I was with was my boyfriend because he wanted to dance with me if not. Obviously my boyfriend was very annoyed at the first incident as it's just unnecessary, but fine with the other who had the decency to ask. The best way to deal with it is to say something rather than using violence; it's best to avoid any more trouble

It is ridiculous the way some guys have the audacity to try and get with a girl when it's obvious (or should be) that she's with her boyfriend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If a guy doesn't know, then it's not their fault. However, if the girl tells the guy and he still tries then he's an idiot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't get why you think violence would be a good idea. Anyways...

If it's obvious that you're together and someone's flirting with her, then just say 'can't you see she's taken' or something to that effect and/or move away from them.

If it's not obvious, then your girlfriend should tell them that she's taken. If she doesn't, you can just say 'sorry mate she's taken' or something to the same effect.

ReputationRep:
    Well either you've got nothing to worry about, or she's not worth getting into a fight over.

ReputationRep:
    See I think its a major disrespect.
    (Original post by bittr n swt)
    I don't blame girls for guts hitting on them.. Guys just do wwhatever...

I was hitting on a girl in a club once and her bf was with her..I didn't know it was her bf but I was still hitting on her lol the bf did **** all coz he obviously felt inferior

as said here
    its basically a guy boying you off.

I think the issue is girls can essentially make it harder for you.

So if a guy is talking to your girlfriend and is being over familiar with her and she's just going along with it then you are forced to intervene.

now usually when this happens the blood goes from my brain down into my fists and legs and as my body prepares to fight. so my quick wit rarely comes to aid me here. instead what comes out is something very hostile that makes me look like the bad guy. something like "are you trying to **** my girl? you think your a smart guy init?" and all my years of trying to make a success of life by going to uni go out the window and i just resort back to a more watered down version of my former council estate self.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't bother me because I trust her and know that she's going home with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    - this is part of life, dating is a competitive business..
    - disrespectful thought it is, it is not clever nor civilised to respond with violence
    - best bet in this situation is to treat the guy with icy destain and your girl with love and affection..
    This! I'd trust my girlfriend (If I had one) to tell them where to go if they tried anything, if she went off with them, then that's a life saver for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick.w)
    So I've had issues with this from time to time.
    When I was a little younger I didn't mind the prospect of going to prison. So I was very quick to attack guys who did this.

however I've been interested in careers in which you need a clean CRB check. So I've had to try to develop new habits on how to deal with these situations.

I've found peoples points of view quite interesting on this.

The fact of the matter is it's disrespectful. Its making you look a fool in front of your partner and whoever else may be present.

Now a female friend of mine blames girls for this. She said in many of these situations the guys would not be hitting on the girl if they had not received either signal or reciprocation in the communication.

Now this is a tough one for girls too as being polite or just speaking to a guy can lead the guy into that more inappropriate but difficult to prove area of hitting on someone.

just curious on your guys thoughts, opinions, experiences of this? both guys and girls.
    You would attack someone for hitting on your girlfriend, seriously? It's not making you look a fool in front of your partner, you should trust your partner enough that they'd immediately say 'sorry I'm here with my boyfriend' if anyone tries anything.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Just laugh it off, not like they're going to get anywhere. Last time tbis happened to me whilst I had a gf I asked the guy if he wanted a drink, freaked him right out.

ReputationRep:
    If the girl your with is worth it you shouldn't have to do much anyway.

If he oversteps a barrier and gets physical or rude then obviously thats when you step in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taylorg292)
    You would attack someone for hitting on your girlfriend, seriously? It's not making you look a fool in front of your partner, you should trust your partner enough that they'd immediately say 'sorry I'm here with my boyfriend' if anyone tries anything.
    it kinda is. i'm not worried about my partner straying or anything. its just the initial disrespect to actually have the cheek to try it in the first place..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 5, 2015
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.