Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Guys hitting on your girlfriend Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick.w)
    it kinda is. i'm not worried about my partner straying or anything. its just the initial disrespect to actually have the cheek to try it in the first place..
    Thing is the whole idea of the fact it disrespects you by someone hitting on your partner makes it sound like your girlfriend is your property. It massively depends on the context.If a guy comes up to your girlfriend while you're there and goes 'your boyfriend isn't good enough for you' or whatever then yeah he's been disrespectful to you but otherwise your girlfriend is the one who is dealing with it, it doesn't affect you.

My ex used to find it funny if guys hit on me, he'd come up and give me a massive kiss on the cheek and go 'alright mate?' to the guy who would then scuttle off. Take it as a compliment that your partner is good looking, personally I would find it a massive turn off if a guy I was with got aggressive because someone hit on me.

ReputationRep:
    Like other people have said, violence probably isn't the best way to deal with*this situation.

However, what I'm thinking is if you'd look to violence as an option maybe you're not suited to a career that requires a clean DBS?

Some girls actually run off with the guy sometimes, I am just saying maybe it isn't their fault the boyfriend could hold on to her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taylorg292)
    Thing is the whole idea of the fact it disrespects you by someone hitting on your partner makes it sound like your girlfriend is your property. It massively depends on the context.If a guy comes up to your girlfriend while you're there and goes 'your boyfriend isn't good enough for you' or whatever then yeah he's been disrespectful to you but otherwise your girlfriend is the one who is dealing with it, it doesn't affect you.

My ex used to find it funny if guys hit on me, he'd come up and give me a massive kiss on the cheek and go 'alright mate?' to the guy who would then scuttle off. Take it as a compliment that your partner is good looking, personally I would find it a massive turn off if a guy I was with got aggressive because someone hit on me.

ok context. there was a guy hitting on here. it was just talking normal conversation. i can tell he likes her but i ignore it i let her handle it cuz its just civil.

then he starts speaking to me and asking me normal questions but he's eyeballing me and becoming quite weird. I can sense a faint tinge of hostility but its not obvious enough to comment openly on. the guy says how amazing she looks and its a bit sleezy but i let it pass.

then he comes up again saying it again but its getting sleezyre and he's standing quite physically close to her in an almost intimidating way and asking quite forcefully for her number. this isn't an immediate thing. he comes up normal enough and works his way into this aggressive stance. which she has gone a long with, all the way up until this point and is still essentially going a long with it but she's looking panicy and nervous and putting on a fake slightly worried looking smile. it's clear she can't deal with what's going on so i intervene and i physically push him away to the point where he almost loses balance but doesn't and point away telling him to step away. which luckily he did but i was expecting a fight. i mean this is me being nice btw. when i was younger i'd of just straight up attacked him.

ReputationRep:
    Blokes will peacock. I agree that you really ought to know your place in a situation like that, but giving someone a shiner and putting yourself at risk of harm or inconvenience isn't proportional. If you're in a nightclub and you push someone, you'll get kicked out if they hit you - bouncers are indiscriminate. Depends on whether you think it's worth the inconvenience.

Also, your other half may be able to deal perfectly well with the situation at hand - again in a bar/nightclub she won't need you to protect her from harm.

ReputationRep:
    ok context. there was a guy hitting on here. it was just talking normal conversation. i can tell he likes her but i ignore it i let her handle it cuz its just civil.

then he starts speaking to me and asking me normal questions but he's eyeballing me and becoming quite weird. I can sense a faint tinge of hostility but its not obvious enough to comment openly on. the guy says how amazing she looks and its a bit sleezy but i let it pass.

then he comes up again saying it again but its getting sleezyre and he's standing quite physically close to her in an almost intimidating way and asking quite forcefully for her number. this isn't an immediate thing. he comes up normal enough and works his way into this aggressive stance. which she has gone a long with, all the way up until this point and is still essentially going a long with it but she's looking panicy and nervous and putting on a fake slightly worried looking smile. it's clear she can't deal with what's going on so i intervene and i physically push him away to the point where he almost loses balance but doesn't and point away telling him to step away. which luckily he did but i was expecting a fight. i mean this is me being nice btw. when i was younger i'd of just straight up attacked him.
    Okay so in this case this guy isn't just hitting on your girlfriend he's been sleazy, repeatedly coming up to her, acting hostile and your gf looks super uncomfortable. I wouldn't push a guy though I'd just ask if your gf would like to leave/move to another spot (in a club or wherever you are). Her being harassed by creepy guys isn't disrespecting you as a guy though, it's disrespecting her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taylorg292)
    Okay so in this case this guy isn't just hitting on your girlfriend he's been sleazy, repeatedly coming up to her, acting hostile and your gf looks super uncomfortable. I wouldn't push a guy though I'd just ask if your gf would like to leave/move to another spot (in a club or wherever you are). Her being harassed by creepy guys isn't disrespecting you as a guy though, it's disrespecting her.
    either way he needs the disciplined hand of the father he should of had.

some people need trauma before they learn lol.

ReputationRep:
    If you're the kind of person who feels so aggrieved at being "disrespected" by another man surely the whole career issue won't matter because you'll end up leaving jobs left and right the second a male boss asks you to do a task you feel is beneath you?

ReputationRep:
    either way he needs the disciplined hand of the father he should of had.

some people need trauma before they learn lol.
    There's so much wrong with what you just said I can't even...please go see a counsellor for anger management. Violence isn't the way to prove your 'manliness' or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    This one guy always hits on my girlfriend. But it's okay, because it's me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So I've had issues with this from time to time.
    When I was a little younger I didn't mind the prospect of going to prison. So I was very quick to attack guys who did this.

however I've been interested in careers in which you need a clean CRB check. So I've had to try to develop new habits on how to deal with these situations.

I've found peoples points of view quite interesting on this.

The fact of the matter is it's disrespectful. Its making you look a fool in front of your partner and whoever else may be present.

Now a female friend of mine blames girls for this. She said in many of these situations the guys would not be hitting on the girl if they had not received either signal or reciprocation in the communication.

Now this is a tough one for girls too as being polite or just speaking to a guy can lead the guy into that more inappropriate but difficult to prove area of hitting on someone.

just curious on your guys thoughts, opinions, experiences of this? both guys and girls.
    It's Not the girls fault at all...unless she is obviously flirting in which case I'd tell her as her boyfriend that it is disrespectful to your relationship and it is upsetting.
    Having said that blokes have hit on me in bars when I'm with my partner and they know they are winding my partner up/ doing it for 'banter' i tell them where to stick it and make them look stupid. let your partner fight their own battles as it would perhaps irritate her if you fight her battles for her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    haha nice one man!

PRICK.
    the funny thing is, it's already done and you can't do nothing about it. I would do it again if i can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    The last time I went out I had one guy put his hands all over my arse despite the fact it was clear I was with my boyfriend, and one guy who kindly asked if the guy I was with was my boyfriend because he wanted to dance with me if not. Obviously my boyfriend was very annoyed at the first incident as it's just unnecessary, but fine with the other who had the decency to ask. The best way to deal with it is to say something rather than using violence; it's best to avoid any more trouble

It is ridiculous the way some guys have the audacity to try and get with a girl when it's obvious (or should be) that she's with her boyfriend.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wasn't the first one a bit of a liberty, even if you weren't with your bf..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    - this is part of life, dating is a competitive business..
    - disrespectful thought it is, it is not clever nor civilised to respond with violence
    - best bet in this situation is to treat the guy with icy destain and your girl with love and affection..
    It won't let me rep you (repped too much already apparently) but you've laid out every point and I completely agree.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 5, 2015
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.