Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really a fan of WWE these days but flicked over the other day to see the Dudleyz and Edge and Christian.
    Firstly, can Edge compete anymore, I want to say he injured his neck?
    Secondly, could the Hardy Boyz return?????
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    I'm not really a fan of WWE these days but flicked over the other day to see the Dudleyz and Edge and Christian.
    Firstly, can Edge compete anymore, I want to say he injured his neck?
    Secondly, could the Hardy Boyz return?????
    Edge and Christian are both retired, but they pop up occasionally in non-wrestling segments and hosted RAW late last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Edge and Christian are both retired, but they pop up occasionally in non-wrestling segments and hosted RAW late last year.
    Ah, a shame. A TLC reunion would have been awesome between those three..

ReputationRep:
    I hope Nikki retains the title tonight- she proper deserves it, like la.

I truly hope that now with the NFL back, WWE truly goes back to the attitude era.

ReputationRep:
    Big rumour doing the rounds that Rollins and Cena's US Championship match will close Night of Champions, and NOT the bout for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship that Rollins has with Sting.

I'd be amazed if Rollins didn't drop the former belt to Cena. He'll beat Sting, probably in a shady finish, because even one clean win - and especially two clean wins - makes it nigh on impossible for Rollins to be booked as a cowardly heel moving forward.
    It makes sense to end with the US title match, storyline wise. Why would Seth want to defend his more important belt after going through a tough match with Cena when his odds of retaining it would be lower? If you've got to wrestle 2 matches in one night you take the one you care most about winning, first.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Very strange episode of RAW that.

The Authority kicking things off and announcing Sting would wrestle on RAW was huge, but the promo descended into foolishness and the same types of things we've seen in a tired-and-tested formula for two years straight now.

The New Day picking up the win over the Prime Time Players was undoubtedly the only choice Creative could go with, and I'm looking forward to seeing them beat the Dudley Boyz this Sunday. It makes sense for the former to triumph, simply because the Dudleyz chasing gold again is such a huge thing and WWE can't afford to give that up on the first round of this rivalry.

Why on Earth were the Wyatt Family on Miz TV, though? Dreadful booking. How is Bray the type of character to go on Miz TV? It made no sense whatsoever, and neither did the stare down with Ambrose/Reigns without leading to a physical confrontation.

Cena and Sheamus was a solid match-up, with good booking and good work from two steady in-ring hands. It made sense for Cena to go over here, considering he'll probably win back his US title from Rollins this Sunday. It's a shame that Sheamus - while carrying the MITB briefcase - had to take a loss, though.

The Owens and Ryback confrontation was my highlight, unsurprisingly. Much is made about how great Owens' in-ring promo work is, and backstage segments, but Ryback really grew into this and this rivalry will be brilliant. Having Owens discuss that book was very clever, too, and showed some of Creative remember previous subplots.

The less said about Neville falling to having to team with the Lucha Dragons, and feuding with the Ascension, the better. Remember when he was stealing the show on RAW in Rollins' Open WWE World Heavyweight Challenge, and Cena's US Open Challenge? Seems like a long time ago.

Cesaro and Rusev are two great competitors, too, but I wish that this Ziggler feud was being dropped. Rusev could be a great midcard presence, and eventually a main event heel. Cesaro is getting better each and every time I see him with his promo work, so he deserved the win here but it was lazy booking considering he has been an afterthought for Night of Champions.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Full Night of Champions card:

- Neville and The Lucha Dragons vs. The Cosmic Wasteland
    - Ryback vs. Kevin Owens for the WWE Intercontinental Championship
    - Dolph Ziggler vs. Rusev
    - The New Day vs. The Dudley Boyz for the WWE Tag Team Championship
    - Nikki Bella vs. Charlotte for the WWE Divas Championship.
    - Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns, and TBA vs. The Wyatt Family
    - Seth Rollins vs. John Cena for the WWE United States Championship
    - Seth Rollins vs. Sting for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship

ReputationRep:
    That card reminds me of a TNA pay-per-view line-up from the mid 2000s. The actual in-ring work will be really good but a lot of the finishes will be unsatisfying and the characters are so homogenized and flat and their "issues" with each other are so insipid there's no reason at all to care about who wins and who loses.

Fell asleep during last nights Raw, I haven't watched a full Raw in ages because I'm normally working during it and when I'm off the show doesn't hold my attention and I drift off to sleep in the middle. Opening the show by announcing Sting in action and then revealing his opponent as Big Show is like giving someone a present and then watching them open it and finding a lump of horse turd in the box. Thought they were going to go with Sting vs Cena at first, which would've been a huge attraction and held viewers away from the NFL all night. But no.

Speaking of not holding viewers, The Miz TV segment was an awful way to start the 9pm hour. So Bray Wyatt, who hasn't been interesting in 18 months, talks to The Miz who hasn't been interesting for his entire career? Yeah, that'll keep people tuned in. Plus yay for the biggest pussy to hold the WWE title in years tapping out to a geriatric in five seconds. Seth either needs to beat the hell out of Sting and pin him clean on Sunday, or drop the belt, because fans have checked out totally on this incarnation of him as a phony champion that can't win a match without copious shenanigans.

Enjoyed the New Day match and Paige vs Sasha was good for what we got. Charlotte and Ric promo was fun, and the recaps of Sting's career. Was too tired to enjoy Cena vs Sheamus but it looked OK. Nothing else stands out.

ReputationRep:
    I can't go 5 mins scrolling through facebook without a video with "JOOOOHNN CENNNNAAA!" edited into it.

Latest one is the ending of Iron Man where he says in a conference "I am Iron Man" but you know what happens instead after he says "I am".
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    That card reminds me of a TNA pay-per-view line-up from the mid 2000s. The actual in-ring work will be really good but a lot of the finishes will be unsatisfying and the characters are so homogenized and flat and their "issues" with each other are so insipid there's no reason at all to care about who wins and who loses.
    This. It's probably the worst shape that I've seen WWE in. Even this time last year, we had a solid feud between Rollins and Ambrose carrying the company.

The characters are stale, there's too much emphasis on nostalgia, the finishes are lazy and unsatisfying.

Fell asleep during last nights Raw, I haven't watched a full Raw in ages because I'm normally working during it and when I'm off the show doesn't hold my attention and I drift off to sleep in the middle. Opening the show by announcing Sting in action and then revealing his opponent as Big Show is like giving someone a present and then watching them open it and finding a lump of horse turd in the box. Thought they were going to go with Sting vs Cena at first, which would've been a huge attraction and held viewers away from the NFL all night. But no.
    Sting vs. Cena would have been good, and sensible. It would make sense for the Authority to try and weaken both competitors before Sunday's bouts, and it would have led to a fresh face vs. face match-up that we hadn't seen, boasting two of the biggest superstars of their respective eras.

Speaking of not holding viewers, The Miz TV segment was an awful way to start the 9pm hour. So Bray Wyatt, who hasn't been interesting in 18 months, talks to The Miz who hasn't been interesting for his entire career? Yeah, that'll keep people tuned in. Plus yay for the biggest pussy to hold the WWE title in years tapping out to a geriatric in five seconds.
    Miz spends more time in Miz TV segments than in the ring these days. Speaking of Miz... what happened to Sandow? He hasn't been seen on WWE TV since May. That is farcical.

He was red-hot after WrestleMania, when he turned on the Miz and came close to winning the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal.

Fair enough, the Hogan controversy has buried the Axel gimmick and left the Mega Powers tag-team dead in the water, but Sandow deserves a place on TV.

Seth either needs to beat the hell out of Sting and pin him clean on Sunday, or drop the belt, because fans have checked out totally on this incarnation of him as a phony champion that can't win a match without copious shenanigans.
    He'll win clean for sure. Anything else would be a huge surprise.

Enjoyed the New Day match and Paige vs Sasha was good for what we got. Charlotte and Ric promo was fun, and the recaps of Sting's career. Was too tired to enjoy Cena vs Sheamus but it looked OK. Nothing else stands out.
    The New Day are easily the highlight of RAW and SmackDown every single week. They've completely nailed the gimmick, and I actually loved seeing their new ring attire last night.

Woods is so good in his role. I think he has a future as a manager whenever he decides to pack in the ring work for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone going WWE Live at the o2 in November? will be my first time seeing it live so hopefully a decent line-up!

ReputationRep:
    This. It's probably the worst shape that I've seen WWE in. Even this time last year, we had a solid feud between Rollins and Ambrose carrying the company.

The characters are stale, there's too much emphasis on nostalgia, the finishes are lazy and unsatisfying.
    I think it might be the flattest it's been since 95. I mean there's been some awful years recently (2005, 2007, 2010 and 2011 spring to mind) but there's usually been something interesting, one of the top storylines is normally fun even when the others suck. Right now, there's nothing.

Sting vs. Cena would have been good, and sensible. It would make sense for the Authority to try and weaken both competitors before Sunday's bouts, and it would have led to a fresh face vs. face match-up that we hadn't seen, boasting two of the biggest superstars of their respective eras.
    I thought that's why they'd go that way, I know they don't wanna give away a WrestleMania type dream match on Raw but their ratings were in trouble even before football season. They need a bump!

Miz spends more time in Miz TV segments than in the ring these days. Speaking of Miz... what happened to Sandow? He hasn't been seen on WWE TV since May. That is farcical.

He was red-hot after WrestleMania, when he turned on the Miz and came close to winning the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal.

Fair enough, the Hogan controversy has buried the Axel gimmick and left the Mega Powers tag-team dead in the water, but Sandow deserves a place on TV.
    I wish Miz would spend even less time in the ring and less time doing segments too. He should go do network shows I won't watch, or help out at the performance center, or just generally go the **** away.

The Sandow thing is a shame but he got over when Vince didn't want him to so he has to disappear now.

He'll win clean for sure. Anything else would be a huge surprise.

The New Day are easily the highlight of RAW and SmackDown every single week. They've completely nailed the gimmick, and I actually loved seeing their new ring attire last night.

Woods is so good in his role. I think he has a future as a manager whenever he decides to pack in the ring work for sure.
    I'd be surprised if Seth beat Sting (or literaly anybody) cleanly. I'm expecting him to retain by some form of screwjob or interference. They've booked themselves into a corner again, Sting can't win the title, but he can't lose cleanly again either after he lost to Hunter in his first match.

Thank God for the New Day ... they're just about the only thing I enjoy watching in WWE right now.

ReputationRep:
    Sting picking up the win scares me as I think it means Seth will defeat him Sunday. Good to see they haven't completely eradicated hogan by mentioning his bout with the stinger at star cade 97. Nikki surpassing Aj in that predictable fashion pissed me off, was hoping for a miracle I suppose with charlotte defeating her for the title.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I think it might be the flattest it's been since 95. I mean there's been some awful years recently (2005, 2007, 2010 and 2011 spring to mind) but there's usually been something interesting, one of the top storylines is normally fun even when the others suck. Right now, there's nothing.
    2010? Even with the summer of Nexus?

2011? Even with Punk's pipebomb?

I do agree, though. It seems to have stagnated big time lately. They need a decent main event programme, but Rollins has been booked like a coward so it's hard to invest in him against Sting, a man who wasn't strong enough to beat an ageing Triple H at WM31.

The midcard has improved no end, with Ryback and Cena holding the titles, but there are too many superstars treading water - Randy Orton, Sheamus, Ambrose, Wyatt etc etc.

I'd be surprised if Seth beat Sting (or literaly anybody) cleanly. I'm expecting him to retain by some form of screwjob or interference. They've booked themselves into a corner again, Sting can't win the title, but he can't lose cleanly again either after he lost to Hunter in his first match.
    He has to win one match this weekend, and I have a feeling he will - but with a shady finish against Sting. That will be a shame.

If he won two matches cleanly, he'd be nigh on impossible to book as a heel going forward because that's a hell of a feat. We haven't seen that since Jericho in 2001.

Rollins has been booked so poorly, losing numerous matches on TV, that it's hard to really invest. I have a feeling that the best thing WWE could do this weekend is have Rollins beat Sting and Cena - both in shady finishes.

Then, have him talk up the achievement. Let him rile the Universe with his grating promos. He's so strong at coming over like a weasel. Having him boast could lead to Triple H taking exception with his comments of being 'the best ever', and it could set up a mouth-watering feud between the pair.

Thank God for the New Day ... they're just about the only thing I enjoy watching in WWE right now.
    It's a New Day. Yes it is!

It's great watching them. They struggled to get over at first, but they are living, breathing and walking proof that nobody in WWE is a lost cause.

Any gimmick or character can be saved, with the right booking and commitment to the gimmick.

We're seeing that with Stardust now.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cocre)
    Anyone going WWE Live at the o2 in November? will be my first time seeing it live so hopefully a decent line-up!
    Not the O2, but I'll be heading to the Birmingham show.

(Original post by ArsenalWenger)
    Sting picking up the win scares me as I think it means Seth will defeat him Sunday.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Rollins will emerge victorious for sure. Sting can't be WWE World Heavyweight Champion realistically.

ReputationRep:
    Not the O2, but I'll be heading to the Birmingham show.

Rollins will emerge victorious for sure. Sting can't be WWE World Heavyweight Champion realistically.
    Any idea how close they usually reveal who's there? The artwork on the ticket site was Orton, Sheamus & Cena but not sure if that is just a generic filler.

ReputationRep:
    Rep to whoever posts the Raw TV ratings. Can't be 2.5 now the NFL is back.

ReputationRep:
    2010? Even with the summer of Nexus?

2011? Even with Punk's pipebomb?

I do agree, though. It seems to have stagnated big time lately. They need a decent main event programme, but Rollins has been booked like a coward so it's hard to invest in him against Sting, a man who wasn't strong enough to beat an ageing Triple H at WM31.

The midcard has improved no end, with Ryback and Cena holding the titles, but there are too many superstars treading water - Randy Orton, Sheamus, Ambrose, Wyatt etc etc.

He has to win one match this weekend, and I have a feeling he will - but with a shady finish against Sting. That will be a shame.

If he won two matches cleanly, he'd be nigh on impossible to book as a heel going forward because that's a hell of a feat. We haven't seen that since Jericho in 2001.

Rollins has been booked so poorly, losing numerous matches on TV, that it's hard to really invest. I have a feeling that the best thing WWE could do this weekend is have Rollins beat Sting and Cena - both in shady finishes.

Then, have him talk up the achievement. Let him rile the Universe with his grating promos. He's so strong at coming over like a weasel. Having him boast could lead to Triple H taking exception with his comments of being 'the best ever', and it could set up a mouth-watering feud between the pair.

It's a New Day. Yes it is!

It's great watching them. They struggled to get over at first, but they are living, breathing and walking proof that nobody in WWE is a lost cause.

Any gimmick or character can be saved, with the right booking and commitment to the gimmick.

We're seeing that with Stardust now.
    The Nexus thing and the Summer of Punk lasted about 6 weeks maximum before they'd successfully managed to ruin them and go back to the traditional format of John Cena beating everyone.

I'd like to see Rollins beat Sting cleanly but then what do you do with Sting if they do that? He's pretty much scorched earth at that point, so I'm guessing Seth will cheat and beat him and then lose the US title to Cena. I can't see Seth retaining the US title because he barely wants to wrestle anybody now let alone having to defend both!

I think they need to slowly start turning Seth around if he's going to keep the belt for a while and have him start retaining it in convincing fashion at the next few PPVs. Otherwise what's the point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubzeh)
    Rep to whoever posts the Raw TV ratings. Can't be 2.5 now the NFL is back.
    Last week was bad but to be fair it was labor day and holiday Raw's always draw badly. Still, dropping to 3,021,000 viewers in the 10pm hour was the worst since Xmas eve 2012!

I'm intrigued to see this weeks and see how the number changed over the 3 hours. I've got a feeling it'll dip off again throughout the night as people find out what the main event is.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    The main issue is that we all know he won't be winning. WWE has done him no favours by portraying him in this cheeky, jokey depiction either.

They've made a mistake by going with the TNA version of the character. Sting's gimmick was at its strongest last year, with solid booking at Survivor Series etc, but this year they've made him too Cena-lite.
    He was booke better before WM. He was anticipated, rare, cunning, threatning. Now its like oh he's here.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.