Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It was a solid RAW. Can't help thinking the main event at Battleground would be better with Cena/AJ shoehorned in, too, though.

Sure, both matches will be stellar as separate entities. Styles and Cena are undoubtedly able to top their last outing (which itself was superb) and Ambrose and Rollins' feud is a programme which can just run and run and run for a decade, a la Michaels vs Triple H.*

But the ambiguity of the title, and which brand it's going to, would hang over the main event. And a four-way match, or five-way if Reigns returns, would leave so many possibilities.

Still, I'm happy with the shape of the Battleground card so far. The four aforementioned superstars did great work last night, especially Rollins, who delivered a stellar promo on the fifth anniversary of CM Punk's pipe bomb.

*Enzo and Big Cass squaring off against the Social Outcasts gives both teams something to do until the brand extension, and ensures a few weeks of great, entertaining promos. Similarly, I wasn't sold by the New Day vs Wyatt Family feud (the latter should have returned as faces), but the promos are great and it's a fresh match up. In truth, the Wyatt Family need gold - and quickly. They've failed to hold a strap since debuting as a faction, bar Harper's all too brief IC title reign.

The Highlight Reel was great, showcasing a more serious side to Zayn. It's hinted the pair are going separate ways when the draft is made - and that's the right decision for me. Keep them apart, keep the match fresh for the future. They've already gone toe to toe a lot.

It looks as if del Rio could be set for a Sheamus feud. It's hard to see the fans investing without one of the them (likely the former) committing to a face turn, but again, they are two solid workers and the matches will be decent. Crews and Cesaro need something to do - quickly.

It's a shame to see the Miz's reign wasted with Kane. Plenty of other superstars need elevating over Kane.*
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    This week's SmackDown spoilers:

Spoiler:
    Show

- In a Fatal 4-Way match to determine the top contender to Rusev's United States Championship, Cesaro def. Sheamus, Apollo Crews and Alberto Del Rio. An angry Sheamus assaulted Cesaro after the bell. Rusev, the opportunist, hit the ring and demanded the match begin immediately.
    - United States champion Rusev def. Cesaro to retain his title.
    - Dana Brooke def. Billie Kay.
    - WWE Champion Dean Ambrose appeared on an instalment of Miz TV with WWE Intercontinental champion The Miz. The two exchanged barbs before a fight broke out. The Miz was left standing, somewhat unbelievably.
    - The Wyatt Family's Braun Strowman and Erick Rowan def. two unnamed local competitors.
    Sasha Banks def. Summer Rae.
    - WWE champion Dean Ambrose def. WWE intercontinental champion The Miz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    This week's SmackDown spoilers:

Spoiler:
    Show

- In a Fatal 4-Way match to determine the top contender to Rusev's United States Championship, Cesaro def. Sheamus, Apollo Crews and Alberto Del Rio. An angry Sheamus assaulted Cesaro after the bell. Rusev, the opportunist, hit the ring and demanded the match begin immediately.
    - United States champion Rusev def. Cesaro to retain his title.
    - Dana Brooke def. Billie Kay.
    - WWE Champion Dean Ambrose appeared on an instalment of Miz TV with WWE Intercontinental champion The Miz. The two exchanged barbs before a fight broke out. The Miz was left standing, somewhat unbelievably.
    - The Wyatt Family's Braun Strowman and Erick Rowan def. two unnamed local competitors.
    Sasha Banks def. Summer Rae.
    - WWE champion Dean Ambrose def. WWE intercontinental champion The Miz
    Is WWE so short on attention-span and low on writing material that they're literally doing feuds that last minutes these days?

Who the heck is Billie Kay? (Rhetorial question.) I don't watch WWE really and I know all about Bayley, why the hell is everyone else getting called up before? Give that girl the money she's worth.

ReputationRep:
    Seems as though they are making a change with the titles.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yep, two world titles are coming back. You'd imagine we'll see a second tag-title too.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    This week's SmackDown spoilers.

Spoiler:
    Show

- Seth Rollins def. Jey Uso. Dean Ambrose sat in on commentary. After the match, both men talked trash before Rollins retreated, wanting no part of the world champion.
    - Zack Ryder def Sheamus. After the match, Ryder told Tom Phillips in a brief promo that he wants a shot at Rusev and the United States Championship. Backstage, The Bulgarian Brute laughed off the idea of Long Island Iced Z as a credible threat.
    - Natalya attacked Becky Lynch from behind before her scheduled match could begin. She trapped The Lass Kicker in the Sharpshooter until being pulled away by referees and officials.
    - Xavier Woods partook in a sitdown interview.
    *- Enzo Amore and Big Cass had a promo interrupted by The Club. An exchange of barbs followed, and officials set up a match between AJ Styles vs. Amore as a result.
    - AJ Styles def. Enzo Amore.
    - Chris Jericho and Kevin Owens had a backstage confrontation.
    - WWE intercontinental champion The Miz defeated Kalisto.
    - Charlotte and Dana Brooke interrupted a Sasha Banks promo. The Boss vs. Brooke was made official for Raw.
    - Sami Zayn def. Chris Jericho. Kevin Owens was in on commentary and inadvertently setup the distraction that would lead to the finish. He would also flatten Zayn with the Pop-up Powerbomb to close out the show.

ReputationRep:
    Bret Hart needs to take a chill - or a humour - pill...

WWE‬ Hall of Famer Bret Hart went off on Triple H on the latest edition of the Sharpshooter Podcast on Bret Hart Radio.

He said, “I don’t care how many titles Triple H wins. He could never lace my f*cking boots up. Period.”
    Why?

Because Triple H had a higher rating than “The Hit Man” in ‪‎WWE2K15‬.

His rant went down while Bret discussed :‪‎WWE2K16‬ with his sons, Blade and Dallas.

Bret: I like the new one. I have some discrepancies with the game a little bit. I went to a thing last Fall when the latest 2K game was coming out. They were telling me how I’m an 85 or something like that and Triple H is a 98. I remember I was like, “Why would he be a 98?” And they go, “Well because he’s the boss and we have to suck up to the boss.” I dunno, he was laughing about it. It kind of pissed me off. I thought, “I don’t care how many titles Triple H wins. He could never lace my f*cking boots up. Period.”

Blade: WOAH! Shots fired!

Bret: He was a very good, medium, mediocre wrestler. He never blew me away with anything that he’s ever done. He’s never come up with much. He’s always been a very decent wrestler that could give you a good match. As far as being like mind blowing…

Dallas: The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be…

Bret: I never saw it. I’ve still never seen it. I’ve seen him in some matches and the whole “4 Out Of 10” thing came out of his match with Lesnar. Which should have been such a good match. It was a mediocre match, if that. That’s where the “4 Out Of 10” comes from. He’s always a guy that will give you a “5 Out Of 10” match every night. He’s going to give you all he can give you and that’s just my opinion. There’s certain guys where you put these video games out and I don’t care. I think you have to do justice to the wrestlers as they were in their careers. It should be based on reality. Not things like who you know in the office. Vince could make him 35 time World Champion and it doesn’t mean he’s 35 times better than everyone else that ever wrestled. He’s just not. As far as the games go I think they should be honest. Someone like Bruno Sammartino should never be a jobber on a video game. So on and so forth. I think you have to pay respect. When I think of a video game I think about how I’d love to have Buddy Rogers versus Ric Flair. Something like that. Where you can wrestle these legends against each other from different periods and stuff. They should always represent the reality of what the wrestling business is and was. It should also include the respect the wrestlers have for each other in the dressing room.

Blade: I’d love to see Grampie in there. I’d love to see you versus Grampie. It’d be a hell of a match.

Bret: I’d take my Dad down so fast! I’d have him in the Sharpshooter so fast!
    Meanwhile in TNA..

Spoiler:
    Show

Matt's accent at times had abit of a King Booker feel to it..

Admittedly he seems to be performing much better than the days when he'd do a new video promo from his bathroom..

ReputationRep:
    Well if we're posting awesome Matt Hardy creations:

What a sad song... hey... wait a minute...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Patriotic episodes of RAW are always dire - and, this week was no exception.

I get that kids and silliness is a massive part of the WWE audience, but it undermines the fierceness and severity of the action we do see if it's relied upon too much.

The food fight was a farce, and really undermined the Vaudevillians, who have gone from looking like genuine contenders a month ago to creative limbo. Why are they losing to The Golden Truth?

The multi-man tag team match just made absolutely no sense whatsoever, and I'd like Rusev/Titus' feud to be deeper than just patriotism.

At least Enzo and Cass will be elevated by working with Cena. They looked great on Monday night, and a programme with The Club can only benefit both teams in truth.*

I'm not keen on The Miz taking so many clean losses, I must admit. He's enjoyed a good couple of months, but feeding him to Ambrose will do him little favours.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't read the results since MITB, some one get me up to date?

ReputationRep:
    Patriotic episodes of RAW are always dire - and, this week was no exception.

I get that kids and silliness is a massive part of the WWE audience, but it undermines the fierceness and severity of the action we do see if it's relied upon too much.

The food fight was a farce, and really undermined the Vaudevillians, who have gone from looking like genuine contenders a month ago to creative limbo. Why are they losing to The Golden Truth?

The multi-man tag team match just made absolutely no sense whatsoever, and I'd like Rusev/Titus' feud to be deeper than just patriotism.

At least Enzo and Cass will be elevated by working with Cena. They looked great on Monday night, and a programme with The Club can only benefit both teams in truth.*

I'm not keen on The Miz taking so many clean losses, I must admit. He's enjoyed a good couple of months, but feeding him to Ambrose will do him little favours.
    Completely agree with you on all of this.

It seems that WWE are just looking to waste time before the brand split.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Haven't read the results since MITB, some one get me up to date?
    Enzo and Cass joining Cena vs the Club in a tag match

Randy Orton vs Brock Lesnar at SummerSlam

Shield Triple Threat booked

Ncl about the rest
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Orton and Lesnar is a decent bout, to be honest.

It gives the latter something to do - and it's more of a drawer for the casual fans after the hype of his UFC fight. Is your regular man in the street going to be more inclined to watch is Lesnar is squaring off against Orton, or a relatively fresher face like Owens, or even Wyatt? It's obviously Orton.

It allows Orton to remind us why we've missed him, gives SummerSlam a high profile feud alongside the culmination (presumably) to the AJ Styles/Cena programme.

Orton is a deft hand in the ring, and this is a match we haven't seen before. Not only that, but it allows Orton to work as a heel. The company has plenty of creative options - but it'll end with Lesnar going over, and rightly so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zayn is Bae)
    Enzo and Cass joining Cena vs the Club in a tag match

Randy Orton vs Brock Lesnar at SummerSlam

Shield Triple Threat booked

Ncl about the rest

True, can give 0 ****s tbh. My man Orton vs Lesnar is going to be sick though

I bet Orton will win
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    I bet Orton will win
    Just can't see it post-UFC. WWE will look to build on that renewed popularity with a Lesnar win, surely?

ReputationRep:
    Just can't see it post-UFC. WWE will look to build on that renewed popularity with a Lesnar win, surely?

Was semi srs what with me being an Orton fan

ReputationRep:
    What's the point of Lesnar winning? His whole monster run was about giving Reigns the rub, and when that didn't happen it made him irrelevant. Beating Orton and moving on to another pointless feud that he'll win again until Reigns beats him clean doesn't sound appealing to me. Rather have Cena as World Champion again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zayn is Bae)
    What's the point of Lesnar winning? His whole monster run was about giving Reigns the rub, and when that didn't happen it made him irrelevant. Beating Orton and moving on to another pointless feud that he'll win again until Reigns beats him clean doesn't sound appealing to me. Rather have Cena as World Champion again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're giving WWE too much credit. His whole monster run was to build on the Undertaker's streak ending - not Reigns. Creative isn't capable of thinking that far ahead.

Lesnar is a legitimate beast, and a legitimate star. In an era where Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns being the flag-bearing champion for the company means RAW is getting its lowest ratings EVER, Lesnar being a star is massively important to WWE as a business.

They can't undermine that star power. Granted, Orton and Cena have star power of their own - hence why Lesnar vs Orton makes sense. But Lesnar is a cross-genre star. UFC fans like him, casual fans like him, MMA fans like him.

Orton should be used similar to Jericho. Get him rubbing up against young babyfaces as a heel, in my view. A Sami Zayn vs Orton feud would be tantalising.

Lesnar should be kept back for special events like this. He doesn't need a title - and nor should he get one. Use him sparingly, at the four major PPV events of the year. He's a massive draw.

ReputationRep:
    You're giving WWE too much credit. His whole monster run was to build on the Undertaker's streak ending - not Reigns. Creative isn't capable of thinking that far ahead.

Lesnar is a legitimate beast, and a legitimate star. In an era where Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns being the flag-bearing champion for the company means RAW is getting its lowest ratings EVER, Lesnar being a star is massively important to WWE as a business.

They can't undermine that star power. Granted, Orton and Cena have star power of their own - hence why Lesnar vs Orton makes sense. But Lesnar is a cross-genre star. UFC fans like him, casual fans like him, MMA fans like him.

Orton should be used similar to Jericho. Get him rubbing up against young babyfaces as a heel, in my view. A Sami Zayn vs Orton feud would be tantalising.

Lesnar should be kept back for special events like this. He doesn't need a title - and nor should he get one. Use him sparingly, at the four major PPV events of the year. He's a massive draw.

Jericho semi retired though so became a utility star. Orton should be no where near a Jericho role tbh, not yet at least.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Jericho semi retired though so became a utility star. Orton should be no where near a Jericho role tbh, not yet at least.
    What I mean is the level of Jericho in the card. He should be feuding with Shield members who don't hold the strap, Wyatt, Zayn, Owens, Cesaro et al.

Orton would make a fine placeholder champion, though, admittedly. I'm intrigued as to how the new champion will be crowned.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.