Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Kevin Owens picked after THE MIZ ffs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    I guess that makes sense though, because Miz is a champion and you'd want to secure the titles to your brand (might swap at Battleground I guess).

I do think this means that Ambrose will drop the title on Sunday though. Can't see the WWE Title staying on Smackdown whilst the new world title goes to RAW.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think cesaro will ever get a push, this is really upsetting

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth were corbin, ziggler and big show picked before cesaro

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why is Braun Strowman on Raw by himself? He needs Wyatt for him to even be utilised.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    There's some major questions from the draft, to be honest.

The Wyatt Family's future is obviously a major talking point, but I'd also argue that the future of the Club is more up in the air. I guess a lot comes down to Balor, and how he is utilised.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    DB made it quite clear he didnt want the Miz, just the IC title.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heavyhandscott)
    DB made it quite clear he didnt want the Miz, just the IC title.
    I'm talking about realism. Kevin Owens is a bigger draw than the IC title. To say 15 or 16 superstars are bigger than he is is laughable, and that's what WWE have done.

ReputationRep:
    No posts for 3 days? Damn! Did everybody miss WWE Battleground 2016? Shame on you if you did!

I don't get to say this very often but WWE produced an excellent, top quality pay-per-view event from start to finish tonight. Brilliant in ring action, logical storytelling for the most part, bucketloads of intensity where it was needed and a main event booked to perfection. This was the freshest presentation the company has delivered on a self-contained show since the early days of the initial brand split in 2002 and its certainly piqued my curiosity to see where we go from here ... I may have to start watching Raw and SmackDown Live on a regular basis again every week.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    For a minor PPV, Battleground had a lot to look forward to. And, full credit to WWE, because the show completely delivered for the most part.

The decision to put Ambrose over with Dean retaining the strap at the expense of Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns was completely the right one. SmackDown is in need of a ratings boost, and giving them the WWE Championship suggests WWE is backing it to succeed and sees it as an even competitor to RAW.

It also gives them the chance to turn Reigns heel and feud with a face Rollins on Monday nights, which is great.

Bayley's debut was excellently executed, and having Mojo Rawley debut to save Zack Ryder suggests the Hype Bros have a future together, or Rawley has a midcard championship feud in him.

Sadly. I felt both midcard championship matches were quite disappointing. We've seen the Rusev bout dozens of times before, and The Miz being beat down by Darren Young was odd. Maybe it means we're getting a darker version of Young. The gimmick with Backlund will clearly end up with Young turning heel at some stage - because all babyface protege programmes with a legend do. But both Ryder and Young weren't valid challengers, and nobody really expected either champion to relinquish the belt. They need a decent fearsome challenger, in truth.

AJ Styles getting pinned sets up a Cena grudge match at SummerSlam, but I wasn't happy he took the loss rather than The Club. It doesn't hurt his momentum too much, as it was a tag match. Enzo Amore was on fire with the promo, and it's great to see that pair on Monday night where they can have time to cut promos and shoot barbs week in, week out.

I guess a couple of more missteps were The Wyatt Family's bout with The New Day, which feels underwhelming and still open to some extent. It doesn't feel complete, and I think we've got more to see from Xavier Woods vs Bray especially. I'm glad Bray got the win, though. He needs to be booked dominantly and strike fear into the SmackDown roster.

The Highlight Reel - overly long and quite boring, in truth - was also a shame, but full credit to Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens for delivering a masterclass. I was really disappointed Cesaro and Chris Jericho weren't on the PPV, but with matches like this, I completely forgot. They now need to be kept apart for a while. They have a rich and storied rivalry, akin to Shawn Michaels and Triple H, but the fans can't be overexposed to it otherwise it becomes mundane and less special.

Also, lol @ Breezango picking up a win on the pre show against the Usos.*

ReputationRep:
    Nothing actually happened though. I usually like a shock result or two on a PPV card, but I predicted the outcome of every single match weeks before they happened. Fair enough the in-ring quality may have been good but then so is NXT/most RAW's.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zayn is Bae)
    Nothing actually happened though. I usually like a shock result or two on a PPV card, but I predicted the outcome of every single match weeks before they happened. Fair enough the in-ring quality may have been good but then so is NXT/most RAW's.
    You can always tell whose going to emerge victorious at a PPV, though. I've been watching far too long. I'm in it for the in ring action these days.

ReputationRep:

Sadly. I felt both midcard championship matches were quite disappointing. We've seen the Rusev bout dozens of times before, and The Miz being beat down by Darren Young was odd. Maybe it means we're getting a darker version of Young. The gimmick with Backlund will clearly end up with Young turning heel at some stage - because all babyface protege programmes with a legend do. But both Ryder and Young weren't valid challengers, and nobody really expected either champion to relinquish the belt. They need a decent fearsome challenger, in truth.
    Maybe Ryder wasn't a valid challenger going in but they did more on the show itself to present him as a contender than they have in a long time, he actually looked like he really wanted to win the title and gave it his best shot and didn't get totally killed. I actually enjoyed the US title match.

The whole Darren Young character is awful. I hated that match and the finish was stupid.

Did anyone catch Cole saying "that was like flotting a swy" during the Wyatt match by the way? I couldn't stop laughing!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Looking forward to RAW tonight, but more intrigued for SmackDown. The latter only has two titles, the WWE Championship and IC strap, so you imagine they'll have to bring in an extra Tag-Team title and Women's Championship to make both divisions have something to fight for on the blue brand.

ReputationRep:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Orton's promo was at its best when he was bringing up Lesnar's drug test failure, to be honest. The issue is that we've now seen all facets of his character. Realistically, how long is it until he grows stale and the fans are bored of him again? Overexposure kills wrestlers - and he's been performing at 11 or 12 PPVs a year for more than a scare.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Right, first thing is first: The WWE Universal Championship is the worst thing I've ever heard.

But, at least Finn Balor is being booked seriously. The opening segment help set up his arrival, and the matches throughout the night proved his in-ring ability and the excitement he generates in the crowd when he performs. He's absolutely the right choice to face Seth Rollins at SummerSlam. I was dreading a Rollins vs Roman Reigns rehash.

The new look of RAW is great. Quite retro, with a new stage setup and logo, and I like it. I also like Braun Strowman's new look, and he ran through a local competitor as he attempts to escape the Wyatt Family shadow.

The less said about Enzo and Cass being forced to feud with The Shining Stars, the better. They are way above that level right now, and are hot off the back of trading barbs with AJ Styles (a future WWE Champion and likely next challenger for Dean Ambrose) and helping aid John Cena (the man who has carried the industry since 2004 ffs). Now they are feuding with Los Matadores Mk II? Ridiculous.

Aside from that, there were plenty of positives last night. Plenty of great in-ring action, with the two main matches setting up Balor vs Reigns. I'd have liked Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens to be showcased a little more, in truth. But you can't have everything.

Sasha Banks was - as usual - flawless, and it's good to see The Club lined up as The New Day's challengers. Those two teams will set the division on fire with good promos, talking segments and matches.

Welcome back Neville, too. Great to see his high flying nature back in the ring on Monday nights. He should be the centrepiece of the Cruiserweight division, to be honest.*

ReputationRep:
    The logo has grown on me, only seen quick glimpses of the new set but I like it. Assuming there'll be a SmackDown version of it tonight ... Twitter seems to be expecting the shows to have different staging but I'd be very surprised. It's not cost effective.

The only thing I don't like about Raw's new feel is the primary theme - I caught the new opening video on YouTube this morning, graphically cool but the song is the worst that the Raw series has ever had to date.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The true positive of last night was Balor. What a performance. His call up has been long overdue, and he's definitely a main event player by the looks of his booking and in-ring performance.

As for SmackDown, Bray vs Dean needs to happen. With AJ and Cena feuding, and Orton tied up, it just makes sense.*
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Shelton Benjamin is back baby!

SmackDown was really good - and I'm very surprised they went with Ziggler. He and Dean Ambrose will have a top match for sure, but it's odd the company decided to usher in a new era by throwing a challenge to the man they've consistently failed to push for nigh on five years.

Bray Wyatt would have been a better choice, to be honest. I'm glad Apollo Crews and Baron Corbin were elevated by taking part in the six-pack challenge. I thought Bray was the winner, especially given AJ and Cena feuding.*

Randy Orton is looking good, but he needs to cut the jokes. He's not Chris Jericho, and he needs to be booked better than this and deliver better promos if we're to fully invest in his character before SummerSlam, and then Backlash.

Still, it's always great seeing the RKO. Especially when it's delivered to somebody like the Miz.*

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.