Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Just realised Punk cried during the post-fight press conference. Ah man. I feel for the guy.
    And looked like it after the fight, but none of this is surprising. The whole fight was done as soon as the bell rang, he worked 2 years for nothing, and now he has to just sit on it and wait months for the next fight to put it right.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    2 years of hype for nothing. I know this was going to happen. Hopefully this is a reality check for him and he returns to WWE.
    Such a shame, too, because Gall is a cretin.

(Original post by Neverdie)
    And looked like it after the fight, but none of this is surprising. The whole fight was done as soon as the bell rang, he worked 2 years for nothing, and now he has to just sit on it and wait months for the next fight to put it right.
    Punk won't have another right in UFC. They won't allow it. Fact.

He may stay in MMA and fight a few amateurs, but he will never be featured at a UFC event again. White has pretty much confirmed that.*

ReputationRep:
    I found out on Twitter he'd lost so quickly, just after I'd jumped into bed but incredibly disappointed for him as he'd put in alot of effort to get to that stage of being in the Octagon.

Credit to Gall, he wanted to take him down asap and really push him and take control which he did and Punk never recovered although he did break out of the choke hold at one point but Gall locked it back in. Punk's post-fight stuff was nicely handled and again, rooting for him as at the age of 37, he invested so much with injuries and surgery and it all ended quickly and painfully for him psychologically more than anything else.

He was pushed by Dana into this position because of who he was rather than his experience level which was ZERO. IDK if the prelims which I see advertised (again, seem like a televised dark show to prep the next MMA fighters) wouldn't have been a better arena to enter rather than a place on the main card but I hope he continues for another fight at least. His stock would have been damaged after the performance so Dana might cut him loose having maximised what he has out of him for his own needs and he can politely discard him.

On a side note, he had his foot on the cage at one point trying to escape (which the commentators said wasn't allowed) but a fighter pushing another into the cage and hemming them in is?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    I found out on Twitter he'd lost so quickly, just after I'd jumped into bed but incredibly disappointed for him as he'd put in alot of effort to get to that stage of being in the Octagon.

Credit to Gall, he wanted to take him down asap and really push him and take control which he did and Punk never recovered although he did break out of the choke hold at one point but Gall locked it back in. Punk's post-fight stuff was nicely handled and again, rooting for him as at the age of 37, he invested so much with injuries and surgery and it all ended quickly and painfully for him psychologically more than anything else.

He was pushed by Dana into this position because of who he was rather than his experience level which was ZERO. IDK if the prelims which I see advertised (again, seem like a televised dark show to prep the next MMA fighters) wouldn't have been a better arena to enter rather than a place on the main card but I hope he continues for another fight at least. His stock would have been damaged after the performance so Dana might cut him loose having maximised what he has out of him for his own needs and he can politely discard him.

On a side note, he had his foot on the cage at one point trying to escape (which the commentators said wasn't allowed) but a fighter pushing another into the cage and hemming them in is?
    This has massively back-fired on UFC. They invested a lot in Punk - from hyping the initial signing, to the evolution documentary, but it became pretty clear pretty early on that Punk would struggle. All the rumours were that the training camp was an absolute nightmare and Punk would be humiliated - and if you notice - UFC stopped hyping Punk as much as the fight neared. Interest in him definitely waned from the first announcement confirming he had signed with UFC, and you have to wonder whether the company had any faith in him at all to deliver a spectacle.

ReputationRep:
    This has massively back-fired on UFC. They invested a lot in Punk - from hyping the initial signing, to the evolution documentary, but it became pretty clear pretty early on that Punk would struggle. All the rumours were that the training camp was an absolute nightmare and Punk would be humiliated - and if you notice - UFC stopped hyping Punk as much as the fight neared. Interest in him definitely waned from the first announcement confirming he had signed with UFC, and you have to wonder whether the company had any faith in him at all to deliver a spectacle.
    Dana, like all businessmen such as McMahon, is a ruthless SOB and he won't hesitate to discard Punk but this was his and Lorenzo's decision to offer him a UFC career knowing full well he was 37, had no prior experience and had the potential to be a humiliating outcome for everyone concerned. IDK the ins and outs of the contract Punk signed and if it does have a 'break' clause of some sort then that's fine but if it's something more concrete and long-term then they are going to have to see it out and show some loyalty. Punk wanted to do this, yes, but he was encouraged to and that's a decision Dana is going to have to live with.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Dana, like all businessmen such as McMahon, is a ruthless SOB and he won't hesitate to discard Punk but this was his and Lorenzo's decision to offer him a UFC career knowing full well he was 37, had no prior experience and had the potential to be a humiliating outcome for everyone concerned. IDK the ins and outs of the contract Punk signed and if it does have a 'break' clause of some sort then that's fine but if it's something more concrete and long-term then they are going to have to see it out and show some loyalty. Punk wanted to do this, yes, but he was encouraged to and that's a decision Dana is going to have to live with.
    Punk shouldn't have even been fighting in such a high profile event, though.

He didn't meet the requirements for a licence, but UFC got special dispensation because it was obviously such a high-profile name.*

The whole experiment has blown up in everybody's face - apart from Gall, who did exactly what he promised.

It's funny, because you could see Gall - who is a cocky **** at the best of times - was a little sheepish at the fact he and Punk had landed as the second most high profile bout on a major UFC fight, with just one pro fight between them.

ReputationRep:
    There's gonna be a biopic film made of Chris Benoit called Crossface. I got no idea what it's gonna be like.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Lol rumour of the day: Bryan gets involved in the IC bout and costs the Miz the strap.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Woah. Wyatt vs Orton has been cancelled after the latter wasn't cleared to compete by WWE. A real blow to the first brand-specific PPV. Hopefully they work something out and can create a surprise, because as it stands, the card is down from six matches to just five.

ReputationRep:
    Woah. Wyatt vs Orton has been cancelled after the latter wasn't cleared to compete by WWE. A real blow to the first brand-specific PPV. Hopefully they work something out and can create a surprise, because as it stands, the card is down from six matches to just five.
    There are rumuours about curt hawkins or shelton benjamin replacing orton tonight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longshot750)
    There's gonna be a biopic film made of Chris Benoit called Crossface. I got no idea what it's gonna be like.
    Documentary with interviews,matches and backstage footage
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jontyfernz)
    There are rumuours about curt hawkins or shelton benjamin replacing orton tonight
    Makes more sense for Luke Harper to return tbh. What a turn up that would be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longshot750)
    I kept thinking it was gonna be someone playing chris benoit as he spirals into madness. Personally woulda thought that missed diving headbutt from the ladder at wm 21 was basically it in a nutshell.
    They have not given any indication about the content type.It could be anything,even a musical

ReputationRep:
    even a musical
    I'd watch that.

ReputationRep:
    They have not given any indication about the content type.It could be anything,even a musical
    Avoid replying to longshot, he's been banned a few dozen times here (seriously) for being abusive, derailing threads and apparently paedophilia.

You start interacting with him or even mentioning and the thread gets destroyed for several pages, that's why we don't even read his posts now. Don't open that can of worms please, the thread was doing great without him.

Such a shame, too, because Gall is a cretin.

Punk won't have another right in UFC. They won't allow it. Fact.

He may stay in MMA and fight a few amateurs, but he will never be featured at a UFC event again. White has pretty much confirmed that.*
    Brock Lesnar lost his first fight, a lot of fighters do, and a lot of fights end quickly. All of Rousey's opponents weren't chumps.

People are more annoyed at Gall's cheap takedown than Punk losing. They would want to see him in another bout just to see what he can do. If he gets beaten again in seconds then fine.

Dana is hardly the most respected of guys in the world but he would like even more of an idiot if he tells Punk he can't fight in UFC again because it's too dangerous or he's no good. DANA'S the one who brought him in, it's his fault primarily. Give him a second fight and then if Punk does well it's all good, if Punk gets killed he can say "this is what happens when 'wrestlers' and celebrities try and get in our sport, this is serious business where the participants are trained killers".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    Avoid replying to longshot, he's been banned a few dozen times here (seriously) for being abusive, derailing threads and apparently paedophilia.

You start interacting with him or even mentioning and the thread gets destroyed for several pages, that's why we don't even read his posts now. Don't open that can of worms please, the thread was doing great without him.

No self respecting person would let some stranger on the web tell him who and not speak to.

When a abusive control freak can't control someone, he tries to control how others see him.

Maybe if you don't try to start arguments with me to boost your self esteem then maybe we won't end up in the WWE Society 10.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and just to clear stuff up about that "Paedophilia" statement, a while ago a member said she's half arab, as a half brown person myself I said "How u doin?" as a joke, we got into a convo and she said she was 16 and so I stopped the conversation like a decent human being.

ReputationRep:
    Omg, Kane, love this guy, hope he never retires.

Edit: He didn't need Randy, Kane can destroy the entire roster if he wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    I rest my case.

Moving on...

ReputationRep:
    Heath Slater is no longer the hottest free agent in wrestling.Sigh.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 23, 2017
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.