The Student Room Group

The WWE Society II

Scroll to see replies

Surprised they are not holding it off until WrestleMania.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5341
Survivor Series needs a boost, tbh.
Reply 5342
Predictions for No Mercy:

Baron Corbin def. Jack Swagger.
Curt Hawkins def. whoever he faces.
The Usos def. Heath Slater and Rhyno for the WWE SmackDown Tag Team Championships.
Becky Lynch def. Alexa Bliss for the WWE SmackDown Women's Championship.
Nikki Bella def. Carmella.
The Miz def. Dolph Ziggler for the WWE Intercontinental Championship and forces Ziggler into retirement.
Randy Orton def. Bray Wyatt.
AJ Styles def. Dean Ambrose and John Cena in a Triple Threat match for the WWE World Championship.
Reply 5343
Wow.

As announced by ESPN's Jonathan Coachman on Twitter, tonight's WWE No Mercy Pay-Per-View will mark the first time a WWE PPV opens with the "main event."

The triple threat match, which will see AJ Styles defend the WWE World Championship against John Cena and Dean Ambrose, is scheduled to go on first.

Presumably, WWE are doing this so viewers can watch the match and then switch over to the Presidential Debate.
Reply 5344
A very, very poor PPV from WWE last night.

Why on Earth wasn't the Dolph Ziggler vs The Miz the main event? Fair enough, WWE wanted to capitalise on the Presidential Debate by having the main event triple threat match first, so the ratings didn't suffer, but ending with the plodding and pedestrian paced Bray Wyatt vs Randy Orton was a farce.

Fair enough, Wyatt was crying out for the win and duly got it, and it was nice to see Luke Harper return, but that programme is so uninspiring, compared to the resurgence of Ziggler. The ending to the Intercontinental Championship match was perfect, in truth. So well crafted and well done, with the Miz - who is the company's number one heel behind AJ Styles right now - crying at ring-side. I'd have actually preferred the Miz to win, and Ziggler to be written off TV a while, but Creative capitalised on the momentum and interest surrounding the latter's character and they need to do great things with him now.

They can't afford to treat him like Heath Slater, who is now an afterthought having failed to capitalise on the momentum he first enjoyed when attempting to win a SmackDown Live contract. I'm glad he and Rhyno retained their titles last night, but full credit to the Usos: they have embraced the heel gimmick magnificently, shunning their high flying move set in favour of some more grapple-related action.

Cena vs Ambrose vs Styles was just brilliant - and, naturally, the right man went over. The former will spend some time away from the company now, by all accounts, and I think Ambrose is destined for a run in the midcard. Really, I'd like to see Cena and Ambrose pre-occupy themselves with each other, with either a babyface Wyatt or Orton facing AJ in the main event going forward. We shall see, though.

The pre-show match was good, with American Alpha shining, but everything else was just average: Baron Corbin and Jack Swagger are both stale and delivered a middle-of-the-road match, the Curt Hawkins segment was laughably bad and deserved no place on a PPV, and the lack of Becky Lynch was very disappointing.
Reply 5345
Awesome to see the women given the opportunity to compete inside the Hell In A Cell structure at the PPV of the same name. Charlotte and Sasha Banks fully deserve that feat, and RAW set up that match nicely, though I could have done without the Rusev/Lana/Roman Reigns introduction into the feud.

Aside from that, RAW was incredibly strong. Paul Heyman - as ever - delivered a stellar promo, setting up the Goldberg return as he and Brock Lesnar renew an old rivalry which will have fans salivating. In truth, WWE would be better off delaying their altercation until Royal Rumble or WrestleMania, but it seems as though it's geared up for Survivor Series.

It was good to see Chris Jericho display yet more brilliance, both in the ring and outside the ring, as he and Kevin Owens' relationship threatens to combust. We're obviously geared up for a Jericho vs Owens somewhere down the line, and that's a great decision: they have great chemistry in the ring, Jericho is in his best run ever, and the pair will tear the house down in the ring.

Seth Rollins vs. Chris Jericho was brilliant in the main event, and the latter's loss and subsequent beat down at the hands of Rollins progresses things further, with Owens failing to materialise to aid his 'best friend'. It's a shame we didn't see Jericho shoe-horned into the main event at Hell In A Cell, though, setting up a triple threat. There's still time for that, though.

The cruiserweights were showcased much better this week, with TJ Perkins enjoying a backstage segment with The Brian Kendrick, as well as seeing Sin Cara debut in the division for the first time. And we saw Sami Zayn and Neville team together to beat The Social Outcasts, in what seems a smart move from Creative to give the pair something to do.

The mis-match tag-teams continue to spawn, after Cesaro and Sheamus, with the former facing Kofi Kingston and losing out after interference from the latter. Don't be surprised to see that tag-team do what nobody else has been able to: de-throne the New Day. After all, the Club are now involved in a programme with Enzo and Cass, which is very good and gives both teams a valuable feud going forward.

The Braun Strowman stuff is progressing slowly, but it's a shame Zayn and Neville are having to resort to tag-team action, considering the two former NXT Champions are capable of so much more. Similarly, Titus O'Neil is completely lacking direction - and he suffered a loss to R-Truth Monday night.
I made (unbroken) Matt Hardy gifs, and sharing is caring.

Reply 5347
The Hardy angle is the one thing TNA has going for it. Company is in entire disarray - and apparently WWE have pulled out as a buyer.
^And the guy who could buy it (Corgan) and who has helped fund TNA is suing Dixie. WWE more likely to buy their library catalogue and put it on the Network.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll definitely be watching the Goldberg vs Lesnar match, hopefully it's not a stinking pile of **** like their last encounter. Good to see AJ going over. Totally deserves it, after giving so much to the business he's definitely earned his place as one of the faces of the industry and genuinely one of the best workers around.

Don't really keep up with WWE other than that :lol: Mostly got the Network just to watch the classics and slowly working my way through all the WCW Nitros.
Reply 5350
Original post by Aky786UK
^And the guy who could buy it (Corgan) and who has helped fund TNA is suing Dixie. WWE more likely to buy their library catalogue and put it on the Network.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a mess, man. TNA has made mistake after mistake over the past decade, and it's quite a shame, because when you see the roster of talent they have had and have misused, it's a travesty.
Original post by Mackay
It's a mess, man. TNA has made mistake after mistake over the past decade, and it's quite a shame, because when you see the roster of talent they have had and have misused, it's a travesty.

Dixie seems to have followed Bischoff at WCW - to some degree - in trying to push herself as an on-TV personality/cosying up with the wrestlers and talent at the expense of the important things such as making sure financially you can run shows. There was a time when you heard the name Dixie Carter and never saw her - maybe Jarrett's exit meant she had to push herself on-screen but IDK why she would have felt the need to.
Reply 5352
I don't like this overexposure to PPV gimmicks, to be honest. We've got THREE Hell In A Cell matches at the upcoming PPV, and THREE Traditional 5-on-5 Survivor Series match-ups, too, given SmackDown challenged RAW on Tuesday night.
Reply 5353
So, there we go. Brock Lesnar and Goldberg are set to go head-to-head - and I didn't expect the latter's return to be so emotional. WWE would be unwise to go down that route, to be honest. Book Goldberg like a beast and have him run through competitors aggressively. Still, what a moment to see that return. Great stuff.

WWE has been very smart with the build to Seth Rollins vs Kevin Owens. They have booked the champion as a cowardly heel, which is shrewd, and we haven't seen Owens in the ring all too often. His title reign, thus far, has reminded me of Triple H circa 2003. He has been protected, while Rollins has shone in-ring, and he delivered another good promo segment to kick off the show with the champ before beating Jericho on Monday's RAW. It was smart to give Rollins the way, and dissension between Owens and Jericho continues to build, with the former costing the latter the victory inadvertently.

Elsewhere, Mark Henry and the Golden Truth beat The Shining Stars and Titus O'Neil in a match which was flimsy and just completely pointless, to be honest. The former three competitors have experienced gimmick changes in the recent months, but none have worked.

The New Day's days as champions are clearly numbered - and Sheamus and Cesaro are the team to get the straps off them, in my view. The pair are dysfunctional in a Team Hell No sort of way, and it was good to see Big E take on the former in singles action. Sure enough, he won after a miscommunication between the two new partners, but their team is something WWE is investing in and it's proving beneficial for both competitors, who now have some character development and a clear track.

Competitors without direction remain Neville, who lost to Bo Dallas of all people, before Dallas hurled Curtis Axel - his former stable-mate - into the barricade to signify that dark turn in direction, while Braun Strowman clubbered The Mile-High Trio with ease and desperately needs to move onto midcarders or cruiserweights now. It looks like he's on course for a programme with Sami Zayn.

Personally, I felt the Rusev segment was drawn out and lengthy, and I was disappointed it was given so much time because there are infinitely more interesting feuds going on right now than his battle with Roman Reigns. One of them is the Club vs Enzo and Cass, which saw the former take on Karl Anderson and overpower him early on, which is a shame because the Club need to be booked dominantly and that just isn't happening.

We saw the cruiserweights develop a bit more and were treated to a six-man tag-team match too Brian Kendrick, Drew Gulak and Tony Nese vs. Cedric Alexander, Rich Swann and T.J. Perkins - but all competitors need to further their character out of the ring for us to fully invest.
There's no chance Goldberg is going to win. All the build up Brock Lesnar has right now would be wasted if he lost to Goldberg. If they really want to sell Lesnar than he can't lose to a part timer. If Goldberg loses (probably won't be clean) then he wins the rematch at Wrestlemania, or vice versa. If Goldberg only fights one match, then Lesnar will probably win and lose to someone fresh at WM, I hope?

Also the fact that Goldberg returns after 12 years leads me to believe that Punk will definitely be back at some point too.
Reply 5355
Original post by AR_95

Also the fact that Goldberg returns after 12 years leads me to believe that Punk will definitely be back at some point too.

Punk and Goldberg strike me as different characters to he honest. I'd argue Punk will never give Vince the satisfaction of him returning.
I'll join in the marking out mode but that was brilliant! Everything was done perfectly - the entrance a throw back to his WCW days with the camera following him in, pyro, music and the promo he cut was best he's done in his WWE run. I'm happy to join the nostalgia train and see Lesnar v Goldberg II but I didn't expect the crowd response would be that good in light of fans not being in the Attitude era and Sting's introduction hardly tore the roof down (maybe down to poor booking?) yet all pumped to see Goldberg!

Intriguing he said 'you're last' which suggests it will be a one-off match and then to retire and that gives me a feeling he'll go over. Or Lesnar wins and Goldberg agrees to do another match at Mania where I always thought these two would face off to consign that woeful WMXX match down the drain.
If it's at WrestleMania, Goldberg can win just to get rid of the power Lesnar's name has, and they don't have faith in their roster at the best of times let alone to beat Lesnar.

I suspect WWE is getting more and more envious of UFC and they would build it up showing Goldberg training and ****, then they'd have a brawl. It would also let them shill that 'anything can happen in WWE!" and something about special WrestleMania moments, which they like to do.
Reply 5358
Good to see the Swagger push has ended, then. He lost comfortably to Baron Corbin last night - and SmackDown in general was rather underwhelming, though Dean Ambrose seems to have been given a new lease of life since dropping the strap to AJ.
Reply 5359
That RAW fell flat. The opening segment opened brilliantly with Chris Jericho lamenting the loss of the List of Jericho, but descended into nonsensical humour. At this stage, they are booking Seth Rollins like Roman Reigns was booked in 2014 - comedic, John Cena-lite. It doesn't suit Rollins like it didn't suit Reigns, and it's a shame Kevin Owens is continuously put on the backburner of this feud, with the onus placed on Jericho and Rollins.

Still, there were some highlights over the course of the night - namely the segment between Charlotte and Sasha Banks in the ring, even if WWE continues to puzzle fans with its "triple main event" Hell In A Cell schtick. There can only be one main event, after all, and the women deserve it.

Enzo and Cass ditching the mic and going acapella was a whole load of fun, as was the further development of Braun Strowman's character during his face-off with Sami Zayn, but it's a shame the Club are being booked so weakly. They should be credible, threatening challengers to the New Day - who lost to Sheamus and Cesaro in my favourite bout of the night, as the latter duo develop further and add chemistry to their makeshift tag-team - but the Club are NOT dangerous at this stage. I actually think they are probably the most misused talent since the Brand Extension and Draft. Had they been traded to SmackDown, they'd have been relentless alongside AJ Styles, and surely have the blue brand's tag team straps.

I don't know on Earth, in 2016, we are seeing Titus O'Neil and the Shining Stars take up valuable space on a RAW programme going up against the Golden Truth. An absolute joke.

Better was Bo Dallas' bout with Curtis Axel, who got a big pop in his hometown and that helped Dallas' new, darker heel character develop a little further, while Brock Lesnar also returned to his hometown and that helped him get over before the Goldberg bout, even if Heyman's promo was a little stumbling and poor.

Quick Reply