Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Long read on Vince and WWE in Vice Sports > https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...usiness-empire

Not a total surprise that WWE and Vince BS but the line about fudging attendance figures was more telling as it wasn't challenged. Especially the last WrestleMania which was boasted about openly about breaking the record. I assume they were able to exaggerate as a certain portion of an arena will be boxed off due to setting up the stage etc?

On the whole, not a great article for the WWE. And Vince doesn't come off well but it's what has been reported for a long time that the biggest obstacle to their success is the guy in charge. He seems to be hell bent on expanding that he's making bad decisions on the area of the business (programming) that matters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    the power struggle when Vince dies will be a thing to behold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    the power struggle when Vince dies will be a thing to behold.
    If Vince dies Triple H should take the lead the company will go a much better direction imo
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Realistically, there's a few possibilities of direction for the Rumble in January. I can see the following winning, or coming close:

RAW: Goldberg, Brock Lesnar, Roman Reigns, Triple H, Seth Rollins, a returning Finn Balor.
    SmackDown: John Cena, The Undertaker, Dean Ambrose.
    NXT: Samoa Joe.

ReputationRep:
    Vince is apparently 'spooked' about the World of Sport thing airing on ITV on New Years Eve. WWE are going to be holding a press conference next week at the 02, probably to announce some sort of UK Classic.

World of Sport would easily beat WWE in UK ratings, as World of Sport will get millions and WWE only gets 150k a week (mostly because it's on at 1am on a subscription channel). Interesting to see what unfolds in 2017.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    WWE need to bring SummerSlam to Wembley, tbh. I'd love a Mania in London, but the weather in August will probably be more welcoming than April.

ReputationRep:
    WWE need to bring SummerSlam to Wembley, tbh. I'd love a Mania in London, but the weather in August will probably be more welcoming than April.
    They had it at the old Wembley in 1992 so you never know. Plus the Network now makes it easier for people to watch. I would say it's more likely for them to bring a B show PPV like Payback or Roadblock to the UK though. If they do a PPV in the UK I'm certainly going even if it is down south (I'm from Cumbria).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by batman1308)
    They had it at the old Wembley in 1992 so you never know. Plus the Network now makes it easier for people to watch. I would say it's more likely for them to bring a B show PPV like Payback or Roadblock to the UK though. If they do a PPV in the UK I'm certainly going even if it is down south (I'm from Cumbria).
    Aye. I'd definitely go. I was lucky enough to go to NXT when it was in London, and it was amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Aye. I'd definitely go. I was lucky enough to go to NXT when it was in London, and it was amazing.
    Only been to one WWE event and that was WWE in Manchester last month with my family. I go to my local indie but there isn't many shows around where I live and due to a health condition I can't travel on my own just yet to see shows like Progress and WCPW, but hopefully in the next year that'll be a goal.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Anybody catch Cena on SNL? Hearing mixed reviews.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Solid episode of RAW that. The New Day break Demolition's record for the longest WWE Tag-Team Championships reign, and they did so by overcoming opponents in two separate matches.

The first came against the Club and Sheamus/Cesaro, with the latter thrilling yet again with their dynamic grappling and brilliant technique style. They need to be the ones to relinquish The New Day of the belts in my view, but if WWE isn't keen on that idea, they'd be advised to have The Revival debut soon (maybe this Sunday at Roadblock: End of the Line?) to win the straps. Nothing would get them as over with the crowd as winning the belts at the first attempt - and they definitely deserve to be on the main roster, to be honest.

After the bout, The New Day threw a celebration party backstage - and drew the ire of Stephanie McMahon, who booked them in a main event against Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns, as well as Chris Jericho and Kevin Owens.

That main event, which the New Day managed to win after dissension between Jericho/Owens, came after the Rollins Report was hosted. That segment was strong, with some concise storytelling: the audience were reminded of Rollins' issues with Triple H, we saw Jericho/Owens' tension rise, and it set up the main event for later in the night, which the two teams would go on to lose after Rollins levelled Jericho with a pedigree and Woods stole the pin.

Elsewhere, we saw Sami Zayn and Braun Strowman run over Jinder Mahal and Curtis Alex in a pair of singles bouts respectively. Strowman's dominance continued, but the more interesting aspect is the Zayn storyline. After the match, Mick Foley confronted Zayn and announced he and SmackDown's Daniel Bryan had worked out a trade that would send Zayn to the blue brand in exchange for a Superstar of "equal value," Eva Marie. That set off Zayn, who demanded a match with Braun Strowman at Roadblock. Foley motivated the former NXT champion and then gave Zayn 10 minutes at the pay-per-view to prove he could hang with the destructive big man.

The budding rivalry between Jack Gallagher and Ariya Daivari took centre stage Monday night during the latter's match against Lince Dorado, with the former interrupting proceedings and a brawl breaking out. Gallagher is definitely a unique athlete and probably the potential breakout star of the cruiserweight division. It is nice to see a secondary rivalry in the cruiserweight division, especially given the lack of development that has gone into it. We also saw TJ Perkins lose to Brian Kendrick. The Rich Swann absence was somewhat disappointing, though, given he is the champion who will defend against both men at Roadblock.

We also saw Rusev run over Big Cass, which probably sets up a match at Roadblock, I imagine. This was a logical next step, with Cass wanting to avenge the suffering Enzo experienced last Monday, and Rusev getting the best of Cass is the right move in that it makes him look like a monster heel going forward. Rusev left to boos, so it appears to be working.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like Zayn will be getting a push in 2017.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Roadblock: End of the Line card:

• Big Cass vs Rusev
    • Sami Zayn vs Braun Strowman in a 10-minute limit match
    • Rich Swann vs TJ Perkins vs The Brian Kendrick in a triple threat match for the WWE Cruiserweight Championship
    • Seth Rollins vs Chris Jericho
    • Sasha Banks vs Charlotte in a 30-minute Iron Man match for the WWE Raw Women's Championship
    • Kevin Owens vs Roman Reigns for the WWE Universal Championship
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Jesus Christ that Miz TV segment with AJ Styles may be the best segment on WWE programming this year. The pair were absolutely brilliant on the mic - they both killed it - and the Miz going after Styles' WWE Championship makes complete sense. I loved the line: "I'm not on your level, I'm above it."

Dean Ambrose and Dolph Ziggler both interrupted to set up a Fatal 4-Way main event, also featuring Luke Harper, which was refreshing. It's great to see Harper get the rub and get to square off in high stakes matches like this, especially after being booked so poorly of late - namely the loss to Kane. We saw Ziggler emerge victorious, which is quite a disappointing prospect in truth. With the win, Ziggler becomes No.1 contender for Styles' title. But we've see Ziggler compete at world championship level already this year, and his programme with Ambrose was a let-down, with the crowd struggling to invest in Ziggler as a legitimate challenger.

That said, there's seven weeks until the Rumble - so perhaps Ziggler will just get his chance on SmackDown in the coming weeks before fading into obscurity. I was pleased to see a lack of James Ellsworth shenanigans last night, to be honest, and the rest of the show went some way to developing/sowing the seeds for future feuds.

We saw the Hype Bros win a No. 1 contender battle royal to become The Wyatt Family and Randy Orton's next challenges. They beat the likes of Breezango, The Ascension, The Vaudevillains, American Alpha (surprisingly) and Heath Slater and Rhyno. We saw Slater eliminate his teammate by accident, again teasing a feud between the pair, and it was disappointing to see American Alpha exit so early, but I love the push Breezango are getting and the Hype Bros will be an interesting foil for Bray and Randy.

205 Live was very strong yet again, too. We saw TJ Perkins enjoy some character development, exhibiting some heel traits in the main event against Rich Swann. Swann, suffering an injury, was forced to tap out and give Perkins the win after a very good match. The Brian Kendrick's presence on commentary was a nice addition to keep the storyline going while the two babyfaces fought each other in a non-title contest. Kendrick tried to shake hands with both men after the match, ahead of their triple threat bout at Roadblock this weekend, but Perkins delivered a superkick to send him out of the ring.

We also saw Mustafa Ali up against Lince Dorado, making his 205 Live debut, with both men ended up being counted out after Dorado hit a moonsault from the ropes down to the floor. Both men were unhappy with the decision, but Dorado was willing to shake hands. Ali turned heel, though, attacking the masked competitor after a good opener which saw Jack Gallagher impress (yet again - surely he needs a title run at some stage?) by beating Drew Gulak. The commentators made sure to push his feud with Daivari, though, which is refreshing because the cruiserweights need one or two storylines running at the same time, rather than just the title picture. Gallagher and Daivari had a confrontation backstage. Gallagher offered to shake hands and make things even, but Daivari wasn't willing to let things go.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus Christ that Miz TV segment with AJ Styles may be the best segment on WWE programming this year.
    I'm not too sure about that. I enjoyed Miz's segment with Ziggler when Ziggler put his career on the line and also his rant on Talking Smack towards Daniel Bryan much more than that.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This year's Tribute for the Troops spoilers:

• An in-ring promo featuring Roman Reigns, Big Cass, Rusev, Lana and Kevin Owens led to Mick Foley booking a big tag team main event.
    • Cesaro and Sheamus def. The Golden Truth, The Shining Stars and The Club to earn a shot at the Raw Tag Team Championships Sunday at Roadblock: End of the Line.
    • Intercontinental champion The Miz issued an open challenge for a non-title match. Apollo Crews answered and was flanked by comedian Gabriel Iglesias.
    • Crews def. The Miz in a non-title match.
    • SmackDown tag team champions Randy Orton, Bray Wyatt and Luke Harper def. Dolph Ziggler and American Alpha.
    • Bayley def. Dana Brooke (with Charlotte ringside).
    • Cruiserweight champion Rich Swann, TJ Perkins and Jack Gallagher def. The Brian Kendrick, Tony Nese and Drew Gulak.
    • A backstage segment aired featuring The New Day, The Club (Gallows, Anderson and AJ Styles) and a reunion of The Shield.
    • Reigns and Cass def. Owens and Rusev in the main event.

ReputationRep:
    New Day, Wyatts, Club, Shield, some Authority faction, there's room for a 6-man tag division. Or an epic power struggle storyline that threatens to the tear the WWE apart, but without Jim Ross bah gawding over it I imagine it to be less epic.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The New Day vs Sheamus and Cesaro booked for Roadblock: End of the Line this Sunday.

Expect them to drop the belts.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Just watched Tribute for the Troops, which is always a glorified American-centred show, and this year was no different. The show opened with a speech from Shane and Stephanie McMahon thanking the troops for serving, before chants of "USA! USA!" led to Lillian Garcia's national anthem.

We saw Roman Reigns get interrupted during a promo by Kevin Owens, before Mick Foley pulled a Teddy Long and booked a tag-team match for Reigns and Big Cass vs. Owens and Rusev, who also interrupted to a great deal of heat alongside Lana.

The first match of the night saw four tag teams from the Raw brand compete for a shot at the Tag Team Championships at Sunday's Roadblock PPV, and Sheamus picked up the win for Cesaro/Sheamus against The Club, the Shining Stars and the Golden Truth, before the Miz was defeated in a non-title match by Apollo Crews, who has been poorly used ever since he was called up to the main roster. Management should have given him more time in NXT to develop his character.

We also saw the Wyatt Family pick up a win over Dolph Ziggler and American Alpha (a pleasing result, given the Tribute for the Troops show is usually babyface-centred with plenty of crowd favourites picking up victories) and the cruiserweight division given a six-man tag match to feature as many talents as possible (TJ Perkins, Jack Gallagher and Rich Swann beat Tony Nese, Drew Gulak and The Brian Kendrick).

There was a brief Shield reunion backstage - up against the New Day and the Club, with AJ Styles, in a trio of trios type backstage segment, before Reigns and Cass got the win in the main event.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wow.

WWE announced Thursday at the O2 Arena in London that a tournament will be held in January to crown the first-ever WWE United Kingdom champion.

According to WWE.com, the 16-man tourney will take place Jan. 14 and Jan. 15 at the Empress Ballroom in Blackpool, England, and it will air exclusively on WWE Network.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.