Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    The HHH-Rollins feud had the potential to be great but it's kinda come out of nowhere with the latter starting off RAW calling out Hunter who hasn't been around for ages so that doesn't particularly excite me.

Styles, from the segments I've seen, is really shining on the mic but as I'm out of the loop on WWE these days, what's the story with Cena backstage? I knew he had an a haughtiness about him but are people lining up to spill their **** about him in public?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    WWE needed to pull the trigger on Triple H vs Rollins much sooner, admittedly. They've obviously wanted to hold back and fire it out for Rumble to Mania, but that's been poor really. It should have happened much sooner.

Oh, and by the way, huge rumours online that Sami Zayn has heat backstage at the minute. Nobody seems to know why, but apparently his questionable win over Rollins - and that segment last week where he came across as a bit of a mug alongside Roman Reigns and Rollins - is aimed at making him look weak and foolish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Styles, from the segments I've seen, is really shining on the mic but as I'm out of the loop on WWE these days, what's the story with Cena backstage? I knew he had an a haughtiness about him but are people lining up to spill their **** about him in public?
    Recently Riley was asked about what really happened with Cena and, though he says it's really stupid, he's not ready to talk about it yet because it changed his career and life. (So probably he broke an unwritten rule like moved a bag off a chair or didn't say hi, so Cena had his career ended.)

Since Riley said that, some others have come out to comment on it. Ryback had some comments, one including how when he was told a fan wanted to thank him for helping his kid change his ways, he said "**** him" and walked off.

It's nothing really new, JTG said in his book he was punished by Cena by having merch pulled because he used 'loyalty' and 'respect' to describe his tag partner in a magazine interview.

Ryback theorises that Triple H is calling up a lot of guys from NXT and signing big talent elsewhere in big groups to negate Cena picking them off one by one. And I guess if anyone knows how to stop a self-delusional power-mad dickwad, it's Triple H.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and Cena saying something like he was the guy keeping Smackdown afloat for 10 years screams for Undertaker to interfere and remind him of the truth, it also lets Taker get eliminated by Cena. Because, you know, guys can get eliminated by non-participants for some reason.

Wouldn't go so far as to say that could be a heel turn, but that line and that feud would be one way to do it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea where Taker's going if Balor doesn't return this weekend. Apparently, Balor could be cleared medically to compete now - he's definitely hinted at that on Twitter, as well - which could give WWE its Rumble winner. Samoa Joe would be an outside pick to win it, too.

Whatever happens, I'd start Lesnar and Goldberg at 1 and 2, make Sami Zayn the Iron Man, and have The Undertaker, Braun Strowman, Samoa Joe and Finn Balor or Chris Jericho (depending if the former is fit) as the final four.

ReputationRep:
    Dream first 10 minutes for the rumble. Brock enters #1 and Goldberg #2. Goldberg goes for the spear right off the bat, Brock gets a knee up and knocks him out and tosses him right over the rope. Huge shock pop. Ellsworth enters at #3 and gets destroyed by Brock with heyman cutting promos during it all ... and then Joe comes out at #4 and has a massive face off and brawl with Brock. Would be amazing!!

Taker to enter #24 and win the Rumble last eliminating The Miz. Taker challenges Cena for the title at Mania - career vs title!

I really hope Miz is in the match about 40-45 minutes and keeps hanging around the outside of the ring and just slipping in to hit finishers and eliminate people when it's a safe opportunity.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    Dream first 10 minutes for the rumble. Brock enters #1 and Goldberg #2. Goldberg goes for the spear right off the bat, Brock gets a knee up and knocks him out and tosses him right over the rope. Huge shock pop. Ellsworth enters at #3 and gets destroyed by Brock with heyman cutting promos during it all ... and then Joe comes out at #4 and has a massive face off and brawl with Brock. Would be amazing!!

Taker to enter #24 and win the Rumble last eliminating The Miz. Taker challenges Cena for the title at Mania - career vs title!

I really hope Miz is in the match about 40-45 minutes and keeps hanging around the outside of the ring and just slipping in to hit finishers and eliminate people when it's a safe opportunity.
    I'd like that.

I'd also like Lesnar and Goldberg #1 and #2, and they just brawl through the arena after eliminating each other with an over-the-top clothesline. Whoever is number three should then just be left stood in the ring waiting for #4.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Right, then. Predictions time folks:

NXT Takeover
    • Roderick Strong def. Andrade "Cien" Almas
    • Eric Young def. Tye Dillinge
    • Asuka def Peyton Royce and Billie Kay and Nikki Cross to retain the NXT Women's Championship
    • #DIY def. The Authors of Pain to retain the NXT Tag Team Championships
    • Shinsuke Nakamura def. Bobby Roode to retain the NXT Championship

Royal Rumble
    • Cesaro and Sheamus def. Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson to retain the WWE Raw Tag Team Championships
    • Nia Jax def. Sasha Banks
    • Alexa Bliss, Mickie James, and Natalya def. Becky Lynch, Nikki Bella, and Naomi
    • Neville def. Rich Swann to win the WWE Cruiserweight Championship
    • Charlotte Flair def. Bayley Singles match to retain the WWE Raw Women's Championship
    • AJ Styles def. John Cena to retain the WWE Championship
    • Roman Reigns def. Kevin Owens to win the WWE Universal Championship
    • The Undertaker wins the 2017 Royal Rumble

I'm going for the Undertaker over Braun Strowman, based purely on the current competitors announced. Finn Balor and Samoa Joe are my dark horse picks, if they appear.

ReputationRep:
    Just found out Channel 4 had a program about the women's Hell in a Cell and the women in general:
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/s...mand/65540-001

I figure if Kenny Omega is making a surprise return, it'll be in Styles' match, not the Rumble.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    Just found out Channel 4 had a program about the women's Hell in a Cell and the women in general:
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/s...mand/65540-001

I figure if Kenny Omega is making a surprise return, it'll be in Styles' match, not the Rumble.
    Omega's signing a new contract in Japan, he's said.

What I think is more likely is an Angle return. He told TMZ that he wasn't featuring - but he only gave an interview with TMZ, who famously have a healthy relationship with WWE and have even leaked news which contradicts what fans expect in the past, in order to create a swerve.

I'm disappointed by the NXT card this weekend. It's probably the weakest it has ever been, but I'll take the rough with the smooth, because this is the toughest to call Rumble in years.

Current odds:
    • Randy Orton 8-13
    • The Undertaker 4-1
    • Goldberg 9-2
    • Braun Strowman 6-1
    • Finn Balor 7-1
    • Samoa Joe 7-1
    • Chris Jericho 9-1
    • Bray Wyatt 10-1
    • Brock Lesnars 14-1
    • Baron Corbin 20-1

ReputationRep:
    Weird Orton odds.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Weird Orton odds.
    Bizarre. PWInsider reporting he's a late favourite as WWE MIGHT have Wyatt pick up the belt off AJ at Elimination Chamber.

From Cageseats:

The latest edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter (subscription required but recommended) is reporting on what the card looks like right now:
    • Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar
    • Undertaker vs. Roman Reigns
    • Seth Rollins vs. Triple H
    • Kevin Owens vs. Chris Jericho
    • Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton
    • Charlotte vs. Bayley vs. Sasha Banks vs. Nia Jax
    • Big Show vs. Shaquille O’Neal
    • Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal
    There will, of course, be matches added to that and some rumors include AJ Styles vs. Shane McMahon, John Cena vs. Samoa Joe, and a SmackDown women’s title match of some sort.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Nigel McGuinness set to be NXT announcer, replacing Corey Graves. TakeOver was OK last night. The card was probably the weakest ever, but there were some highlights - namely Asuka keeping the strap, and Roode beating Nakamura to become NXT Champion.

I hope WWE goes all in on Roode. He's brash, arrogant and reminds me of a young Randy Orton (2003 era). He needs to be given time with the belt to dominate the landscape of NXT. He could be a top heel champion - of the Samoa Joe, Kevin Owens ilk. The main event itself was really solid, but Roode pinning Nakamura clean in the middle of the ring without controversy probably suggests WWE is going to go big on him.

Both title landscapes seem a little stale. I don't know who will challenge Roode, and I don't know who will challenge Asuka. Both are lacking credible challengers, despite the three women Asuka lined up against in the Fatal 4-Way impressing. I'd suggest Nakamura vs Roode will run and run, but the former needs a call-up to the main roster soon (as does Samoa Joe, who we will undoubtedly see tonight).

The Seth Rollins segment was also fantastic, and breathed life into the event after a stale couple of opening matches - Eric Young beating Tye Dillinger, and Andrade Almas losing to Roderick Strong. It was awesome to hear the crowd come alive for Rollins, and him calling out Triple H as he oversaw his NXT baby was just very, very smart booking.

The Authors of Pain defeated DIY to win the NXT Tag Team Championships, something which probably won't go down too well, but the latter duo - as babyfaces - will be better off chasing the titles. Interestingly, as an aside note, we saw Tyler Bate arrive in San Antonio. Could we see him at the Rumble?

ReputationRep:
    Undertaker is still my pick to win the Rumble but then again WrestleMania is in Orlando and the last time they went there the show closed with Taker winning the WWE title. Question is do they want to do the same thing again in the same market?

I hope Orton doesn't win it ... it's just going back to the well one too many times. If they're not gonna do the nostalgia pop with Taker then let's have a first time winner and elevate somebody fresh.

ReputationRep:
    Undertaker is still my pick to win the Rumble but then again WrestleMania is in Orlando and the last time they went there the show closed with Taker winning the WWE title. Question is do they want to do the same thing again in the same market?
    What market? The crowd at WrestleMania will be international, there's probably gonna be 10 Floridians there and they'll be the wrestlers.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    What market? The crowd at WrestleMania will be international, there's probably gonna be 10 Floridians there and they'll be the wrestlers.

I hope Orton doesn't win it ... it's just going back to the well one too many times. If they're not gonna do the nostalgia pop with Taker then let's have a first time winner and elevate somebody fresh.
    I hope Orton doesn't win it, but all rumours point to the contrary. He'll be winning tonight, apparently, before Wyatt picks up the belt at Elimination Chamber. That's a real waste of the main event scene on SmackDown Live, imho.

Balor needs to win. I hope he appears.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    I hope Orton doesn't win it, but all rumours point to the contrary. He'll be winning tonight, apparently, before Wyatt picks up the belt at Elimination Chamber. That's a real waste of the main event scene on SmackDown Live, imho.

Balor needs to win. I hope he appears.
    At least if they do Orton/Wyatt it'll probably go on in the 2nd hour of Mania and just be midcard fluff.

There was a point in 2014 where Wyatt was feuding with the shield and then Cena where I was behind the idea of him winning the title. By the time WrestleMania Play Button rolled around I'd realised what a dull one dimensional character he was and that was nearly 2 years ago now FFS. He's a solid midcard guy but he's not a WWE Champion.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    At least if they do Orton/Wyatt it'll probably go on in the 2nd hour of Mania and just be midcard fluff.

There was a point in 2014 where Wyatt was feuding with the shield and then Cena where I was behind the idea of him winning the title. By the time WrestleMania Play Button rolled around I'd realised what a dull one dimensional character he was and that was nearly 2 years ago now FFS. He's a solid midcard guy but he's not a WWE Champion.
    Just seems a waste to me when Styles has had such a monster run with the belt. All rumours have Cena winning tonight, which is a shame. He should be delayed from winning the championship for as long as possible, giving the 16th win a real special feeling. That should come at Mania.

ReputationRep:
    WWE are experts at the 'ruin a wish' game.

We want Bray's push! Ok, but Orton wins the Rumble and that's his WrestleMania opponent.

We want Daniel Bryan to win! Ok, but we'll make him ridiculously overpowered, beat 3 legends with one arm in one night, put him on after Lesnar beats the streak, then force him to retire.

We want the Club + We want the Brand split! Ok, let's split up the Club.

Heyyyy I want some Bayyyyley! Ok, but she comes ages after the other Horsewomen so there's no 4-way for the title at WrestleMania, and her feud involves awful promos about poems.

Bring up Finn Balor! Give him the title! Ok, but he gets injured during the title match he wins.

Push Roman! Ok, but only by making him the corporate champ yet still a face you're supposed to cheer.

Steph's tits! Ok, but HHH tries to turn her into Chyna and now she looks like Vince with tits.

I mean really.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like a done deal that AJ doesn't go to Wrestlemania as champ, but might win tonight? Hope to see Joe called up to the main roster tonight and do well in the Rumble, well overdue tbh.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 13, 2017
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.