Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    What a load of $hit. I want my £10 and 6 hours back.

First wrestling I watched in years waited got Goldberg's pi$$poor performance and Undertaker was barely mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseafreak)
    for god sake that had so much potential and they go and give regins even more of a push when he doesn't need it. i'm pleased he didn't win but he doesn't need to be in the final two again, 3 years in a row ffs
    Hunter and Dean were the final 2 last year.

Anyway, great show. Owens/Reigns was great, Styles/Cena was a blowaway match of the year and the Rumble itself was entertaining throughout with a few shocks and big moments. Not a fan of Orton winning it, but I think the non title main events will be the big draws for Mania this year now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    Styles/Cena was a blowaway match of the year
    It's brilliant logic to lower everyone's expectations so much so that, when you do more than 5 moves, and do a pin after each one for a cheap 'I THOUGHT THAT WAS GONNA BE 3!' close two-count pop, people think it's an amazing match.

Styles is amazing, Kurt Angle says you just have to stand in the ring and he'll bounce off of you and do all the work, which is what happened. Note that all of Cena's great matches are with guys who have great matches all the time - HBK, Taker, Punk, Styles. Very top of the business.

That's how bad Cena is.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    What a let-down of a main event after a really, really solid PPV show. One of the best, dare I say, in years.

The pre-show, at two hours long, was ridiculous, but I enjoyed Jax's mauling of Sasha Banks and the tag team bout was fun. The two-ref shtick seemed a little gimmicky, and the Club's crowning moment fell a little flat as a result of poor booking and character development in recent months, but Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows thoroughly deserve the belts.

Babyfaces look better chasing the title, as is the case in the cruiserweight division, so it was pleasing (and predictable) to have Neville pick up the W against Rich Swann. He has breathed life into the division and deserves to carry the belt for as much as 2017 as possible. Have him clash with Swann, Cedric Alexander, TJ Perkins, Tajiri, Kalisto et al. Similarly, Bayley's eventual conquering of Charlotte needs to be delayed so it feels right at the time when it eventually happens. It was a shame to see the women's bout start the event, really. I'd have preferred them to hang fire and place it into a more meaningful slot.

There were a few shocks last night - namely Roman Reigns not being victorious in the match with Kevin Owens, owing to Braun Strowman interference, and John Cena picking up the belt against AJ Styles. The latter duo delivered a match-of-the-year contender, but Cena having the strap? I'm unsure. If SmackDown's main event at WM33 is Cena vs Orton, it's just a joke. I think Bray Wyatt will pick up the belt next month, though. As for what WWE has in line for Styles, I have no idea. He deserves a main event programme with another superstar, but that doesn't like happening. Unless it's Undertaker?

As for Reigns, it was absolutely the right decision to have Owens stay over, until he and Jericho's friendship eventually spectacularly combusts, allowing the two to feud for the title. Jericho has signed a new WWE contract, so it makes complete sense for him to carry the belt now. The addition of Strowman was an interesting surprise. It allowed Owens to play the scavenger, and Reigns now has a rival to pursue moving forward.

The other big shock of the night, of course, was Reigns' emergence at No. 30. I have to admit, I was worried he was going to go over - which would have been WWE's biggest trolling ever. Unfortunately, the winner - Randy Orton - wasn't much better. He's headlined numerous Manias, carried the belt multiple times, and he doesn't need the rub. Braun Strowman, the Miz, Sami Zayn, Bray Wyatt, Brock Lesnar, Goldberg, The Undertaker, Samoa Joe, Finn Balor... anybody but Orton, really.

The Royal Rumble itself went from cluster**** to enjoyable. There were a few spots - Enzo's opening promo (it made complete sense for Big Cass to kick things off), Tye Dillinger at 10, Jack Gallagher appearing with William, Kofi Kingston's usual antics, the dominance of Braun Strowman, the hint of a heel turn when Reigns eliminated Taker, the dissension of the Wyatt Family, Corbin downing Strowman. But there were plenty of lowlights - namely Orton's win, no Seth Rollins, a lack of Goldberg vs Lesnar, and no surprise entrants like Samoa Joe, Finn Balor, Kurt Angle, or Shinsuke Nakamura.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not even fussed about Reigns tbh, clearly looks like a heel turn coming but knowing the WWE it might not happen for a while either. Undertaker vs Roman Reigns will be a decent WM fight but I doubt Reigns is going over. Undertaker will most likely hit 25-1 at WM34 next year.

The rumble was wasted as well. I know you can't have all fighters involved at all times but the fight it self was just lazy, with half the contenders just lying on the floor waiting for their spots. Having Taker, Lesnar and Goldberg all come in near the end made the first half of the rumble boring, and one of the three should have entered much earlier to make the match more interesting, at least.

Orton vs Wyatt at Wrestle mania most likely, definitely cannot see Cena going into WM with the strap. I don't think it'll be a bad match on the card as long as Wyatt goes over. Rollins vs Triple H should be a delight too.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    I'm not even fussed about Reigns tbh, clearly looks like a heel turn coming but knowing the WWE it might not happen for a while either. Undertaker vs Roman Reigns will be a decent WM fight but I doubt Reigns is going over. Undertaker will most likely hit 25-1 at WM34 next year.

The rumble was wasted as well. I know you can't have all fighters involved at all times but the fight it self was just lazy, with half the contenders just lying on the floor waiting for their spots. Having Taker, Lesnar and Goldberg all come in near the end made the first half of the rumble boring, and one of the three should have entered much earlier to make the match more interesting, at least.

Orton vs Wyatt at Wrestle mania most likely, definitely cannot see Cena going into WM with the strap. I don't think it'll be a bad match on the card as long as Wyatt goes over. Rollins vs Triple H should be a delight too.
    The card is looking quite interesting:

Shaq vs Big Show
    Seth Rollins vs Triple H
    Kevin Owens vs Chris Jericho
    Charlotte vs Bayley
    Bray Wyatt vs Randy Orton
    Roman Reigns vs Braun Strowman

That leaves Cena/Styles/Undertaker free, as well as Ambrose and the Miz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    The card is looking quite interesting:

Shaq vs Big Show
    Seth Rollins vs Triple H
    Kevin Owens vs Chris Jericho
    Charlotte vs Bayley
    Bray Wyatt vs Randy Orton
    Roman Reigns vs Braun Strowman

That leaves Cena/Styles/Undertaker free, as well as Ambrose and the Miz.
    Nah I think Reigns will fight Undertaker. I don't see Reigns vs Strowman helping anyone tbh. Also a possibility Styles fights Cena again

ReputationRep:
    AJ Styles winning it back at Elimination Chamber would be good. But the following Smackdown he should defend it against Cena and Wyatt. With the winner as Wyatt. So Wyatt vs Orton at WM.
    Undertaker vs Reigns would be a great match, no one would hate that match..
    Ambrose vs Miz - Intercontinental Title would also be a decent match. Wouldnt mind seeing Miz as a world champ in the near future.

Overall Royal Rumble wasnt great, it could have been better. Orton winning was alright, not the best choice. It would be great for someone to win for the long-term run for example Wyatt, Amborse, Miz, Ziggler even. But Orton is still fine.

Kevin Owen vs Jericho - wouldnt be the best of matches. If they through in another challenger like Sami-Zayn then it would be great. Then have WWE add Braun Strowman to the Shaq vs Show match. Or Strowman face Mark Henry. Something like AJ Styles vs Cena vs Corbin vs Ziggler would be a great match in an extreme rules matchup.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Nah I think Reigns will fight Undertaker. I don't see Reigns vs Strowman helping anyone tbh. Also a possibility Styles fights Cena again
    I'd take both of those possibilities. I hope Strowman has something to do, though. He was given the Diesel push last night and looked impressive, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Roman vs Strowman will be the Roadblock match on the road to Roman vs Taker at mania I think. I hope this is the start of a Roman heel turn because NOBODY will cheer him against the beloved Undertaker so they need to just accept it and go that route
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    We've wanted a heel turn for Reigns for years. I'm unsure WWE will ever do it.

ReputationRep:
    Before the PPV, most people were rightly crapping on Undertaker winning it so Randy getting the victory - in my opinion - opens it all up. There are different routes the WM matches could now take such as Reigns v Taker etc and that's a tad more appealing had Undertaker won the damn thing. I'd assume Randy, like Big Show has over the years, conduct another face turn?

Styles losing the belt sucks as he seems to have been the star of the show for a year but I think he's getting a 'high-profile' match with Shane which won't be a great match but he's facing a McMahon, Vince will reason.

I didn't expect Goldberg to do Lesnar over again and you'd expect the latter to get the win at Mania eventually.

Owens winning was a surprise but a good swerve as it sets up, most likely, Owens v Jericho in a meaningful match for the title.

I've booked a long weekend and will be staying up for Mania, some of the matches are appealing so should be fun!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It hasn't actually been spoken about much, but Lesnar was one of the more intriguing aspects of last night for me.

WWE is in danger of making him look a real, real chump. You imagine he'll pick up a win over Goldberg at WM33, but Christ, last night was ridiculous. I'd have preferred both men to have eliminated each other with an over-the-top-rope clothesline before brawling through the arena.

As for the Undertaker... all signs point to Finn Balor.

ReputationRep:
    It hasn't actually been spoken about much, but Lesnar was one of the more intriguing aspects of last night for me.

WWE is in danger of making him look a real, real chump. You imagine he'll pick up a win over Goldberg at WM33, but Christ, last night was ridiculous. I'd have preferred both men to have eliminated each other with an over-the-top-rope clothesline before brawling through the arena.

As for the Undertaker... all signs point to Finn Balor.
    I honestly thought that Goldberg destroying Brock Lesnar was great. It shows that it wasn't just a one-off at Survivor Series, where Lesnar thought Goldberg was like any other person, easy night. I honeslty think their wrestle mania match would be awesome. Obviously Lesnar beats Goldberg there.

As for the Undertaker, his match will probably be against reigns. I wouldn't mind this as long as Taker wins that

ReputationRep:
    When Goldberg went for the elimination I was 100% sure Lesnar was going to fling or suplex him out of the ring. I just couldn't believe Goldberg did him over like that again. It's poor booking though, because after years of buildup they've just destroyed Lesnar in a matter of seconds. They must be paying him a lot.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Lesnar is set for Raw tonight apparently.

Any ideas on Elimination Chamber lineup?

John Cena, AJ Styles, Bray Wyatt, and three from Luke Harper, Baron Corbin, the Miz, Dean Ambrose and Dolph Ziggler?

ReputationRep:
    John Cena and Randy Orton have faced each other in some capacity or another 21 times on PPV with the world title on the line and once in a #1 contenders match.

The two have had 19 televised singles matches, 10 of those occurring on pay per view and 9 being for the WWE World Championship.

Yikes.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, so they don't show Raw and Smackdown on the Network? They put them up 30 days later?

Wow it took WWE less than 24 hours to lose a subscriber, and I haven't even paid.

Any ideas on Elimination Chamber lineup?
    Becky Lynch, Alexa Bliss, Mickie James, Naomi, Natalya and Nikki Bella.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Right, I'm going to come straight out with this: the booking of Brock Lesnar has been one of the worst managed things from WWE since the turn of the century. The guy was a monster back in 2015, and WWE had big money with him. He's still a draw, and will always be a draw, but he has been booked so poorly in this feud with Goldberg. Obviously, we saw him challenge Goldberg last night - and the latter will undoubtedly accept the WM33 match challenge - but Lesnar should have been clobbering somebody, on a tear through the arena last night. Paul Heyman's promo was solid, but that's all I can say for it. Lesnar was just beside him, looking gormless.

Elsewhere, we saw a revitalised Kevin Owens - delivering a heck of a promo in the opening segment - retain his Universal Championship in a match with Braun Strowman after Roman Reigns interfered. It looks like we're heading for a triple threat match between those three, rather than shoehorning Chris Jericho into the rivalry with the combustion of their friendship. Still, Owens was great on the mic last night - passionate, fierce, sneering. Jericho tasted defeat to Sami Zayn in a great match between the Royal Rumble's Iron Men, too. But he was to end the night on his back after Strowman - smartly - removed his threat before his Universal Championship match.

The other big talking point, of course, was Seth Rollins. He met with Steph in the ring face-to-face, before the broadcast ended with the long-awaited meeting between Rollins and Triple H. There was a hint of a heel turn from Rollins, who was quite unhinged in the way he targeted HHH's kids and family. But Triple H was excellent, as usual, in the best role he has ever player: the mentor who feels betrayed. We've seen the story countless times, but it always gets a reaction, and seeing Samoa Joe debut adds depth to the story and breathes life into a programme which has run and run, without real development. I'd rather Joe was in the main event away from Triple H, but I'm pleased to see him.

The matches last night were largely unremarkable - not leas the Rusev and Jinder Mahal vs Enzo and Big Cass one, which saw the babyfaces win. That feud is just a waste of time for all involved. Remember when Rusev debuted and didn't get pinned for months? Now he's getting pinned by Enzo ffs. I imagine we'll see Strowman losing to Gargano in a singles match in 2019. Christ. The other pedestrian bouts were Tony Nese vs Mustapha Ali, which ended with WWE highlighting Nese's lack of charisma (gee, WWE, that's a smart move considering how the cruiserweight division is floundering) and a mixed tag team match between the Club and Charlotte, and Sheamus, Cesaro and Bayley. The latter picked up the W, but the red brand's tag division right now needs to freshen up. There's a lack of competitors and serious challengers there for the Club. Having Charlotte take clean losses to Bayley without relinquishing the title is smart, too.

More pleasing was the segment of Neville in the ring, with the Brit being coronated as the 'king of the cruiserweights' before Rich Swann appeared to run down the heel. I can't wait for this title reign. It should be similar to Tajiri or Chavo Guerrero's back in 2003/2004. He should just run with the belt for a long, long time.

ReputationRep:
    Right, I'm going to come straight out with this: the booking of Brock Lesnar has been one of the worst managed things from WWE since the turn of the century. The guy was a monster back in 2015, and WWE had big money with him. He's still a draw, and will always be a draw, but he has been booked so poorly in this feud with Goldberg. Obviously, we saw him challenge Goldberg last night - and the latter will undoubtedly accept the WM33 match challenge - but Lesnar should have been clobbering somebody, on a tear through the arena last night. Paul Heyman's promo was solid, but that's all I can say for it. Lesnar was just beside him, looking gormless.

Elsewhere, we saw a revitalised Kevin Owens - delivering a heck of a promo in the opening segment - retain his Universal Championship in a match with Braun Strowman after Roman Reigns interfered. It looks like we're heading for a triple threat match between those three, rather than shoehorning Chris Jericho into the rivalry with the combustion of their friendship. Still, Owens was great on the mic last night - passionate, fierce, sneering. Jericho tasted defeat to Sami Zayn in a great match between the Royal Rumble's Iron Men, too. But he was to end the night on his back after Strowman - smartly - removed his threat before his Universal Championship match.

The other big talking point, of course, was Seth Rollins. He met with Steph in the ring face-to-face, before the broadcast ended with the long-awaited meeting between Rollins and Triple H. There was a hint of a heel turn from Rollins, who was quite unhinged in the way he targeted HHH's kids and family. But Triple H was excellent, as usual, in the best role he has ever player: the mentor who feels betrayed. We've seen the story countless times, but it always gets a reaction, and seeing Samoa Joe debut adds depth to the story and breathes life into a programme which has run and run, without real development. I'd rather Joe was in the main event away from Triple H, but I'm pleased to see him.

The matches last night were largely unremarkable - not leas the Rusev and Jinder Mahal vs Enzo and Big Cass one, which saw the babyfaces win. That feud is just a waste of time for all involved. Remember when Rusev debuted and didn't get pinned for months? Now he's getting pinned by Enzo ffs. I imagine we'll see Strowman losing to Gargano in a singles match in 2019. Christ. The other pedestrian bouts were Tony Nese vs Mustapha Ali, which ended with WWE highlighting Nese's lack of charisma (gee, WWE, that's a smart move considering how the cruiserweight division is floundering) and a mixed tag team match between the Club and Charlotte, and Sheamus, Cesaro and Bayley. The latter picked up the W, but the red brand's tag division right now needs to freshen up. There's a lack of competitors and serious challengers there for the Club. Having Charlotte take clean losses to Bayley without relinquishing the title is smart, too.

More pleasing was the segment of Neville in the ring, with the Brit being coronated as the 'king of the cruiserweights' before Rich Swann appeared to run down the heel. I can't wait for this title reign. It should be similar to Tajiri or Chavo Guerrero's back in 2003/2004. He should just run with the belt for a long, long time.
    It has been questionable booking with Lesnar but I think they handled last night well. It wasn't the best of promo's but it did its job to build up for their match at WM33. We've seen Lesnar go on a rampage lots of times and after being obliterated by Goldberg twice, I don't think it would have been effective or necessary. I expect and hope Lesnar goes over because he still has a few years in him where as I don't see Goldberg staying after WM33 (yet to even see him fight a proper match!)
    I have a feeling their WM fight won't last longer than 2 minutes either though and I'd absolutely hate if they went down that road.

I feel like Roman Reigns will have his own match vs Strowman, and if he's not fighting Undertaker than it's probably the best road to go down. He definitely looked more like a heel yesterday but I guess they're going to build him up slowly instead of turning him straight away one night, and I can't wait for it. It'll make both men look strong just as long as Reigns doesn't win clean (odds are that he will).

Rollins vs HHH is going to massively push the former as baby face. I wasn't really too sold on him as a face really as people are just cheering him because of how good he is (similar to heel cm punk) but this is going to do wonders for him. Samoa Joe's debut was completely unexpected and I think WWE handled that perfectly. I haven't watched much of Joe but he looked great in the ring tbh. Heard rumours that Joe would go over Lesnar eventually and I didn't buy into it until last night. The problem is though is that Rollins will need to fight HHH at Wrestlemania but where does that leave Joe?

Not sure why they're burying Sasha Banks so quickly either just to push Bailey. I assume Bailey will beat Nia Jax at WM33, although I wouldn't mind if they Bailey was replaced with Charlotte either.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 13, 2017
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.