Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Update on Rollins' injury to be given on RAW tonight.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Two matches booked for Fastlane, then: Roman Reigns vs Braun Strowman, and Kevin Owens vs Goldberg for the WWE Universal Championship.

The latter is particularly interesting, because all the rumours recently have suggested the company may put the strap on Goldberg for the bout with Brock Lesnar at WM33. We saw Lesnar issue a challenge last week, which Goldberg accepted Monday night. The Reigns/Strowman dynamic was at play largely on Monday, with the latter interrupting the main event between Reigns and Samoa Joe. It'll be interesting to see if Strowman becomes the latest canon fodder for Reigns. We know the company is big on him, but we know how much WWE values Reigns. Strowman himself beat four jobbers and piled them up on top of each other earlier in the night, which was a drastic misuse of his surging popularity and talent. We've seen that much a million times before.

Samoa Joe, meanwhile, was treated like an absolute star. He picked up the win over Reigns - albeit in a dirty finish - and clashed with Mick Foley in a fantastic opening segment, which saw Joe align himself with Triple H for giving an "opportunity", and Reigns interrupting to declare WWE "his yard" (the feud with the Undertaker is coming, isn't it? Please tell me it is!).

The other fantastic segment of the night was Owens/Chris Jericho and Goldberg, with Jericho accepting the latter's challenge to a Fastlane bout. Jericho himself retained his US Championship against Sami Zayn, after interference from Owens, and that points to a third match between the pair at the PPV early next month. I'd definitely welcome that. The two have fabulous in-ring chemistry and it'll be a blockbuster, I'm sure.

We also saw Akira Tozawa make his long awaited debut, squaring off with Drew Gulak and picking up the win after Cesaro cut a backstage promo segment bigging up the Japanese star's in-ring acumen, and later in the night, the cruiserweights got even more mic time (surprisingly) when Austin Aries cut a segment with Neville, who vowed to defeat his next challengers. TJ Perkins, Jack Gallagher and Cedric Alexander - who got the pin and looks set to be the number one contender - beat Noam Dar, Tony Nese and Neville.

The other matches to feature on RAW were both tag bouts - Enzo and Big Cass interfering in the Club vs Sheamus and Cesaro, suggesting we're en route to a three-way feud for the titles - and the New Day, who are now languishing in the midcard with literally nothing to do (they need some direction - and quick) picking up a win over the Shining Stars.

ReputationRep:
    With the way Rock-Cena II panned out with the former winning the strap from CM Punk at the Rumble, I would hazard a guess it will be something similiar again at Fast Lane for Goldberg v Owens.

Or it could be Jericho costs Owens the match - as it seems he helped put him in it judging by the brief RAW recap I read - setting up their WM match as well. Would not think a title has to be at stake for their Mania match as there's a strong narrative around it anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    With the way Rock-Cena II panned out with the former winning the strap from CM Punk at the Rumble, I would hazard a guess it will be something similiar again at Fast Lane for Goldberg v Owens.

Or it could be Jericho costs Owens the match - as it seems he helped put him in it judging by the brief RAW recap I read - setting up their WM match as well. Would not think a title has to be at stake for their Mania match as there's a strong narrative around it anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Considering how dominant Goldberg has looked, I doubt Owens will even get close to winning. I think this match is where Lesnar interferes and beats down Goldberg to reignite their feud.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can't see anything other than Lesnar interference costing Goldberg. Owens vs Jericho does need the title, the narrative is built around Owens proving that he didn't need Jericho to retain the title. Plus Lesnar needs to even up the odds a little bit before Mania.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Considering how dominant Goldberg has looked, I doubt Owens will even get close to winning. I think this match is where Lesnar interferes and beats down Goldberg to reignite their feud.
    (Original post by jam276)
    I can't see anything other than Lesnar interference costing Goldberg. Owens vs Jericho does need the title, the narrative is built around Owens proving that he didn't need Jericho to retain the title. Plus Lesnar needs to even up the odds a little bit before Mania.
    Either a Jericho or Lesnar interference looks likely - but reports are suggesting Owens won't be the champ at Mania, which remains to be seen. Goldberg vs Lesnar doesn't need the title - and even if WWE did give it to the winner, what then? They're part-timers. We may not see the gold until Summerslam ffs.

In better news, apparently Seth Rollins is "good" for WrestleMania, despite a few days where his status was "touch and go."

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Jericho has already shown he's a mastermind several times, and he probably has some brilliant plan and it turns out it was a great idea to have this match.

People are expecting Lesnar interference so that probably won't happen, and in fact wouldn't make sense. If Goldberg wins the title, Lesnar gets a title match at WrestleMania. He would want Goldberg to win.

So perhaps what we'll see is a 'swerve', where Lesnar attacks Owens to help Goldberg win, Jericho is all "what the hell? That wasn't the plan!", Heyman explains that now Lesnar will win the title as well as beat Goldberg once and for all in one go, and Owens can blame Jericho for everything. If they're even splitting up.

Additionally people are subconsciously forgetting that there can be title matches and changes on TV, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the main titles changes inbetween FL/EC and WM. If Owens/Cena loses, he gets a rematch at least.

ReputationRep:
    Just asking, but is anyone aware of dave meltzer or falcon arrow? If you want spoilers of anything to do with WWE these guys have got it meltzer literally exposed the attendance of wrestlemania 32 lol it was 95000 not 101000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    Jericho has already shown he's a mastermind several times, and he probably has some brilliant plan and it turns out it was a great idea to have this match.

People are expecting Lesnar interference so that probably won't happen, and in fact wouldn't make sense. If Goldberg wins the title, Lesnar gets a title match at WrestleMania. He would want Goldberg to win.

So perhaps what we'll see is a 'swerve', where Lesnar attacks Owens to help Goldberg win, Jericho is all "what the hell? That wasn't the plan!", Heyman explains that now Lesnar will win the title as well as beat Goldberg once and for all in one go, and Owens can blame Jericho for everything. If they're even splitting up.

Additionally people are subconsciously forgetting that there can be title matches and changes on TV, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the main titles changes inbetween FL/EC and WM. If Owens/Cena loses, he gets a rematch at least.
    Yup, plus it seems like it'll be Goldberg defeating Owens, Lesnar taking the title at WM and Reigns beating Brock at Summerslam. The intervening period for Reigns, it seems, will be handling Strowman and then Undertaker? I don't see Reigns v Strowman going over two PPVs, latter seems ideal "fodder" for Roman to look strong before he faces the Undertaker.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yup, plus it seems like it'll be Goldberg defeating Owens, Lesnar taking the title at WM and Reigns beating Brock at Summerslam. The intervening period for Reigns, it seems, will be handling Strowman and then Undertaker? I don't see Reigns v Strowman going over two PPVs, latter seems ideal "fodder" for Roman to look strong before he faces the Undertaker.
    I thought the "this is my yard" line from Reigns was very telling on Raw. Made a Taker feud seem a logical next step.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I know SmackDown has a thin roster, but I can't help feeling the blue brand gave fans too much last night. We saw a phenomenal Fatal 4-Way match - featuring four of this weekend's Elimination Chamber participants, as well as all the Tag Team Turmoil duos together, and Dolph Ziggler vs Apollo Crews, which will no doubt feature on the PPV card this Sunday.

The Fatal 4-Way was just exceptional, exceptional in-ring work. AJ Styles looked phenomenal, Baron Corbin - who picked up the win - looked like a star, the Miz's work was great again and Dean Ambrose was solid, dependable and assured as ever. The opening segment was electric, with the crowd - in Daniel Bryan's hometown - loving his presence. I loved the Miz's mic work, and I loved the "you stole my entrance music" line from Ambrose to Corbin.

But, while the match was good, did it give too much away ahead of Sunday? I know they're all going to be up against Bray and John Cena, too, and in the steel structure, so perhaps not. But I could have probably done with a talking segment, or a contract signing, a la the Mickie James vs Becky Lynch and Alexa Bliss vs Naomi feuds. We also saw all the tag teams thrown together for a six-man tag bout, with the Ascension, the Vaudevillians and the Usos beating American Alpha, Breezango (are they faces?) and Heath Slater and Rhyno. The match feels a mess and screams of creative not knowing what to do with the tag division. Surely American Alpha retain, and surely the Usos run them close? They're the only logical contenders. No other team has momentum, regardless of Konnor and Viktor getting the pin.

Dolph Ziggler lost to Apollo Crews, and was then booked to face both him and Kalisto in a 2-on-1 Handicap match this weekend. How is that a heel move? Babyfaces have the odds stacked against them - not heels. Speaking of which, you imagine Cena will have the odds stacked against him on Sunday. He picked up the W over Randy Orton in the main event, suggesting he'll be relinquishing the strap come Sunday. We saw Luke Harper interfere, and he'll face Orton in singles competition at Elimination Chamber. Bray was absent from the Fatal 4-Way earlier in the night, but played a part in the main event, suggesting WWE may be placing the belt on him as we all expect.

205 Live, meanwhile, saw Jack Gallagher pick up the win to become number one contender to Neville's WWE Cruiserweight Championship. He will take Neville on at Fastlane, after beating Cedric Alexander, TJ Perkins, Noam Dar and Mustapha Ali. Alexander took out Dar to get the first elimination of the match, but Dar proceeded to knock Alexander off the top rope, allowing Perkins to eliminate him before he made Ali tap, but Jack got the win. To be honest, the fact four babyfaces were competing was odd - and maybe WWE should have showcased Tony Nese, who was absent from the card.

Mustapha Ali also pulled double duty, taking on Daivari in the opening match, which saw the former pick up the win after a high-octane starting match which gelled their styles incredibly well. Then, The Brian Kendrick delivered a promo before his match against Lince Dorado where he offered to be Akira Tozawa's mentor, before he picked up the win via submission. He was surprised by Tajiri, though, who fired the green mist at him, reigniting the feud they started several weeks ago.

ReputationRep:
    Elimination Chamber predictions:

- Ziggler def. Some Guys in a dreaded 'We Don't Know What To Do With Them' match
    Ziggler takes out Crews backstage before the match, then beats Kallisto one-on-one. An injured Crews can come to make the save later but get laid out too.

- Usos win Tag Team Cluster****
    **** knows, I haven't been watching. I just know Rhyno's ridiculously over and American Alpha are apparently good, but Usos are the go-to team. I figure WM will be AA v Usos, but you can't have AA win this match because then that's the whole division beaten and buried. Unless there's a new tag team coming, or The World's Greatest Tag Team make a shock return. Especially if that turns out to be Shelton and ANGLE. That's a way outside bet...

- Luke Harper def. Orton (after Erick Rowan interference if fit)
    Booking 101 says the MITB holder who's cashing in that night, or the Rumble winner wrestling in the pre-WM PPV, is a guaranteed loser. If Rowan is fit, I see him interfering to help Harper and try and get the family back together, convincing Bray that Orton is manipulating him, leading to a Wyatt family feud for WM. However this could equally work with Rowan attacking Harper, leading to Rowan vs Harper at WM.

Women's Matches = butterfly effect
    A cluster**** of bad, rushed booking due to Mickie suddenly signing long-term before Becky got the inevitable title win and second run as champ going into WM. So they switched Becky to Mickie and put faith in Alexa and kept the title on her, then realised they have no one else to challenge.

It was a mistake because Alexa is now getting no reaction and isn't performing as well as expected, and Naomi has barely been built and is a risk.

But all the matches have a butterfly effect on each other.

Becky/Mickie is probably standalone. It can't end so suddenly in just a few weeks of tag altercations, so they must be going to WM. But they could do that as part of the title match. It's impossible to imagine Becky not in the title picture, unless they're going one other route which I'm going to guess they are...

Nikki/Natalya is pointless unless it's an unofficial #1 contender's match and ending the feud now. So that means the result of this is dependent on the result of Alexa/Naomi, if it's going to be a 1-on-1 heel vs face match at WM.

Alexa/Naomi is an awful situation. I haven't seen a lot of Naomi but I'm figuring both have been rushed into this and lack the stature of a few of the other women. Unless the title's lost on TV before WM, SmackDown have ****ed up. Either they can cash in their losses and logically give the title to the more popular star (who would also allegedly get a hometown reaction at WM), or they keep faith in Alexa by giving her a proper win. Having Alexa win makes everything easier.

Really, all of these matches could be filler and the feuds just continued until the rematches at WM, with the heels winning at EC then the faces winning at WM, but that's ultimate deja vu.

A women's elimination chamber would've fixed all this. Maybe that was the plan, but it got nixed because the card would've been worse, or it would've done more damage to Raw.

So I call:

Becky def. Mickie by DQ
    Nikki def. Natalya
    Alexa (c) def. Naomi

Leading to WM:

Becky def. Mickie
    Nikki def. Alexa (c)

Which will be expanded on next...

- AJ Styles wins EC
    No one wants Cena v Orton 4261, though people not wanting something hasn't stopped WWE before. However I have faith that AJ's evident ability in getting great matches kicking and screaming out of both Cena and Orton (and anyone else) will have him 'inserted' into the WM match so that it's Cena v Orton v AJ Styles. Orton can stay strong if he's cheated out a win by a reunited Wyatt family who realise his game.

Then Cena wins, beating Ric's record. Nikki, the other newly crowned champ of the other half of Smackdown, comes out to celebrate. Then Cena proposes.

Spoiler:
    Show

THEN RIKISHI BETRAYS THEM MID-DANCE.

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'll go Apollo Crews and Kalisto over Dolph Ziggler - but it's odd booking. Why is the heel outnumbered? It makes zero sense, unless we see some sort of pre-match shenanigans which sees Kalisto wiped out backstage and Ziggler take on Crews 1-on-1, only for Kalisto to return and help Crews win.

I think we'll see the babyfaces win, and Ziggler go on a rampage post-match. His heel turn had potential but it's stumbling right now. The backstage segment with Daniel Bryan on SmackDown Live felt odd. Obviously, Ziggler is still finding his feet as a heel and getting into his character, but it hasn't been a smooth transition, like Neville's was on RAW and 205 Live. He needs to get up to some dastardly deeds Sunday night - maybe getting frustrated at taking a loss and then attacking Kalisto/Crews with weapons.

Other than that, I think Alexa Bliss and American Alpha will both retain. The tag division has zero momentum, and the Usos are the only legit contenders for the straps. The Vaudevillians and Breezango can be written off now, and Rhyno and Heath Slater have had their moment. I imagine we'll see the latter duo disband and engage in a short singles feud, but it won't be booked well and Creative won't give it enough screen time, a la the Prime Time Players situation in 2014/15. As for Bliss... well, she's just the right title holder right now, isn't she? It's too soon for Naomi. It's a shame we didn't have a women's Elimination Chamber match.

I have high hopes for the Becky Lynch vs Mickie James feud, and the latter has some momentum and is hot since debuting. In these types of situations, the heel goes over - and it'll likely be a match we see a repeat of, at least on a couple of occasions, throughout the rest of the year. As for Nikki, she's on course for a mixed gender tag-team bout with John Cena, the Miz and Maryse at WM33 by all accounts. She'll pick up the win here and move onto bigger things.

That leaves the Elimination Chamber match, which will surely see Dean Ambrose and the Miz eliminated first and second, before Baron Corbin goes on a tear. He's been booked strongly recently and could be the standout performer. As ever, AJ Styles will be phenomenal - and definitely deserves to go to the final two. It'll be a swerve if John Cena doesn't make it to the final two, so I see him eliminating both Corbin and Styles, before Wyatt picks up the strap with the help of Randy Orton. Obviously, the pair will then clash in the coming weeks, setting up a WM33 match for the Championship, after Orton broke up the Wyatt Family from the inside. He'll definitely go over Luke Harper. It's the easiest match of the night to call. I'm a big Harper fan - he's a talented in-ring worker and arguably the most versatile big man in the company. He deserves a midcard run with a secondary championship (his IC title reign was over too soon a few years ago), but this match is basically an Orton showcase, especially with him being the Rumble winner and going onto Mania.

ReputationRep:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    Sesnational. I love Ranallo.

ReputationRep:
    If Cena is third from last and Styles/Wyatt is last, that'd be the ****.

ReputationRep:
    Corbin v Ambrose is bolted on for WM.

The women's title smells like a 4-way, or a lame tag match. If Naomi retains in her rematch, you can't have hometown face v Becky, and I doubt Becky's turning heel yet. But Alexa botched yet again again again, and this time one of them was the finish, TWICE! How much of a hard-on do they have for her still? Do they risk putting her in a WM title match?

Bray vs Randy obviously, but no sign on whether Cena or Styles will be involved, or perhaps they'll face each other one more time after their Rumble performance.

People have been expecting either Reigns or Cena vs Taker, but what about Taker vs Styles?

Maryse got powder all over her after Nikki and Natalya brawled again after a double-countout, and if Kane and Jericho can feud over a cup of tea, Maryse can feud over butt powder. If it's Nikki/Cena vs Maryse/Miz, that leaves Natalya with nothing, unless they completely pull Alexa and replace her with Nattie.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    A decent PPV - but probably the weakest blue-brand specific show since the Brand Extension, to be honest. That's not a slight on Elimination Chamber, either. More of a sign of the strength of Backlash, No Mercy.

Last night was a good show but it was undermined by all the results being telegraphed. The only shock result, for me, was Naomi de-throning Alexa Bliss for the WWE SmackDown Women's Championship. In truth, that was the weakest women's match of the night - and the botched ending was ugly, and was a real shame for Naomi, who deservedly got decent fan chants after her triumph. The other women's matches were much better - Becky Lynch getting the W over Mickie James, who David Otunga told fans "hadn't wrestled in 7 years". FFS, Otunga. What about Asuka?! And also, we saw Natalya and Nikki carry on their feud, and the latter will have to wait to get her revenge after a double count-out.

After a backstage segment, WWE treated fans to a match nobody wanted or needed - let alone the superstars involved - on the pre-show, with Mojo Rawley (who is in career no man's land now Zack Ryder is injured) beating Curt Hawkins. That match underlines the lack of character development in certain SmackDown superstars right now. It was the same in the Dolph Ziggler Handicap match, which saw the fans back Ziggler over two under-developed babyfaces. Nobody cares about Kalisto, nobody cares about Apollo Crews, and the match (which solid in terms of action) was let down by that fact. For a brief period, we saw Crews get aggressive and angry - and that bodes well for his future. The sooner he drops the smiling, "happy to be here" gimmick, the better.

The tag bout was similar, in terms of there being a lack of a credible challenger to the belt holders. It was good to see Heath Slater - who has lacked screen time and development recently - go on a tear and impress. He and Rhyno are obviously heading for a split, and it makes sense to get a decent singles feud out of there. To be honest, I've always been a Slater fan. He could easily be a decent midcarder and challenge for secondary championships, but it'll likely never happen. The only team who had a shred of credibility in the turmoil match, aside from American Alpha, was the Usos. They again impressed, but after their decent heel turn, they've grown stale recently as a result of losses, a lack of aggression, and injuries. The Ascension went close and are clearly being primed for more of a push (something we should all welcome) but I think the team to relinquish Alpha of the straps is the Revival, once they debut.

The finest match of the Elimination Chamber was the main event, obviously, and I'm so glad for Bray Wyatt. I've loved him since 2013, and despite poor booking, always wanted him to succeed. The guy is gold on the mic and a really good worker (though not quite Luke Harper's standard). He got clean pins over John Cena and AJ Styles last night, something I love. The match itself was great - the booking superb: Baron Corbin went on a tear after Dean Ambrose rolled him up and exacted revenge, setting up an IC bout between the pair at WM33, and the Miz was cowardly and stayed in his pod before trying to pick the bones. I was surprised we didn't see the Miz pin Cena, and set up a WM33 match between the pair and their respective spouses. I was even more surprised Cena wasn't the first to be eliminated once he opened the match, but the bout was stellar.

The other high-profile bout was Randy Orton vs Luke Harper, and despite the former (rightly) going over and claiming the win, it was a great bout which showcased Harper's in-ring ability. He's a great worker, really athletic, and he shone on his first night as a bona fide singles competitor. I hope he has a long run with a secondary championship this year.

ReputationRep:
    Bray Wyatt looked fantastic last night, and I'm happy he's finally got his breakthrough. I do think he should do a face run with the title now though and that Orton should stay heel, but it's probably going to be the other way around.

Baron Corbin is becoming one of my favourite characters too.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Bray Wyatt looked fantastic last night, and I'm happy he's finally got his breakthrough. I do think he should do a face run with the title now though and that Orton should stay heel, but it's probably going to be the other way around.

Baron Corbin is becoming one of my favourite characters too.
    Corbin was great last night. He's obviously nailed on for a match with Ambrose at WM33, but given WWE's penchant for multi-man matches, I wouldn't be surprised if they shoehorn Ziggler, Crews, the Miz and Kalisto in there for a six-man ladder match or something. The pair are good enough to go one-on-one in my opinion, though. They deserve it, too. Ambrose had a stinker last year against Brock Lesnar - arguably through no fault of his own - which was a shame.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 23, 2017
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.