Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    This is the hottest Jericho's been in a long while, and I'm more than glad they give him the last laugh vs Samoa Joe, the first star to have done so?

I do hope he stays on the card post WWE and doesn't leave for a while, he deserves to be treated as a star even after jobbing to almost everyone.
    Talk of him leaving post-Mania, which would be such a shame.

"They are the friends of Jericho... cheer me on, mannnnnn"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    This is the hottest Jericho's been in a long while, and I'm more than glad they give him the last laugh vs Samoa Joe, the first star to have done so?

I do hope he stays on the card post WWE and doesn't leave for a while, he deserves to be treated as a star even after jobbing to almost everyone.
    Fozzy is on tour after WM.

People don't realise that guys like Kane, Jericho and the Dudleys are asking to put other guys over, hence why that's happening.

ReputationRep:
    Reigns v Undertaker confirmed (by confirmed I mean the way indication Undertaker gives to his opponents to let them know he's chosen them by looking at the sign..)

I'm digging this match far more than Cena v Taker, that's for sure.

They probably will play up to Reigns behaving heelish during the build-up, match and then the next day, he'll be back to Roman and challenging Lesnar for the title again.

It requires a big ask for Reigns to carry Undertaker, from a physical point of view but if he has been making strides in the in-ring department then it's a great opportunity to showcase his improvement, surely? Undertaker will be able to guide him through the match so historically, he's in with a legend of the industry yet it'll be a challenge for Reigns to carry an old guy through a match. Some spots might be off bounds but I'll be looking forward to the build and the match.

ReputationRep:
    Undertaker's slow style doesn't help, but at least it's not Triple H's slower 'style'.

He'll only get popular and have 4* matches if he's having 10-minute explosive matches, not 20-minute matches or technical affairs, against someone to call the spots who knows psychology. Don't know if Undertaker still does those explosive short matches though.

ReputationRep:
    Reigns vs Taker can just rely on big spots and hits tbh, doesn't need to be a fast flowing match. It should be simialr to Reigns vs Strowman where the former is more trying to survive and outsmart his opponent instead of matching strength.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Reigns vs Strowman is obviously the template Reigns and Taker need to follow. Their bout at Fastlane was my match of the night. Could've done without Strowman's top-rope suicide dive, mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Reigns vs Taker can just rely on big spots and hits tbh, doesn't need to be a fast flowing match. It should be simialr to Reigns vs Strowman where the former is more trying to survive and outsmart his opponent instead of matching strength.
    Just 10 minutes shorter.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Why on Earth is James Ellsworth still getting WWE screen time? And why is the company so big on Mojo Rawley? On SmackDown, we saw the latter confirm himself as the first entrant of the Andre the Giant Memorial Trophy Battle Royal, after Ellsworth and Carmella had teamed up to lose to John Cena and Nikki Bella in a mixed tag team match. I think Carmella needs to be with Enzo and Cass, given the latter duo's recent drop in popularity (owing to Enzo's annoyance) and Ellsworth needs to go. I'm really hopeful for the Cena and Nikki vs the Miz and Maryse match and angle. The latter duo beat down the babyfaces following their win, and the Miz delivers just enough truth - or perceived truth - in his promos to strike a chord with the audience.

There wasn't much in terms of in-ring action, with Randy Orton beating AJ Styles (as we all expected) to head to WM33 to face Bray Wyatt. You imagine AJ will now seek a feud with Shane O'Mac, given the fact he beat Luke Harper (twice) and then was made to overcome another obstacle in Randy for a chance to feature at Mania. I don't want to see AJ vs Shane, but it's happening. We also saw Alexa Bliss and Mickie James defeat Becky Lynch and Natalya after Daniel Bryan had announced Bliss will defend her WWE SmackDown Women's Championship against EVERY member of the SmackDown women's roster at Mania, which will be a mess. The other segment featured Dean Ambrose and Baron Corbin brawling, which is a really welcome development in terms of their storyline. Corbin looked like a monster and I fancy him to win the Intercontinental Championship at Mania and enjoy a decent run with the secondary belt.

On 205 Live, we saw Austin Aries open the show and interview himself in what was a great segment, before Neville interrupted. The pair could really steal the show if they are given enough time at WM33. I hope the other cruiserweights get some spotlight, too, maybe in the form of a ladder match. Rich Swann and Jack Gallagher deserve a spot at the big event, and they picked up a win over Noam Dar and Daivari - the division jobbers - on 205 Live. We're clearly geared up for another Dar/Alicia Fox/mystery stalker angle. And we could also see The Brian Kendrick vs Akira Tozawa at WM33, too, though I doubt that feud will be given a match of its own. Last night, Tozawa beat a Kendrick imposter in quick fashion before the main event, which saw Aries make his in-ring return to beat Tony Nese.

ReputationRep:
    It was an awful show today that left me feeling disappointed when I should be feeling excited. Pretty much every segment was bad or badly done.

- Pointless and boring opening promo segment with authority figures. I thought this was SD, not Raw. And for an already-announced match as well. To top it off, one of them pretends the winner has never turned down the WM opportunity, probably because that means they'd also have to mention that really the runner-up, ROMAN REIGNS, should be main eventing WM now going by their rules. 0/10. Which leads to...

- ...Weekly 'Styles is mad at bosses' segment, even though Shane is clearly his biggest backer, and if they had any brains, Bryan would be the one pulling for AJ, that's if they're really setting up Shane/Styles and not mega-swerving us with Bryan/Styles. 1/10

- Cena and Nikki have zero chemistry, it's so cringeworthy, and it was a boring match. Plus Miz' promo seems to spoil and confirm a wedding proposal at WM, which no doubt Cena and Nikki will already know in advance and have planned out, completely proving Miz right. 4/10

- Randy, Mojo and Ziggler talk. No one wants this. 0/10

- Weekly Ambrose/Hawkins/Corbin rehash. 0/10

- Weekly 'Corbin beating up Ambrose' segment. 4/10

- Women's title devalued with cluster**** match announced. Awkward promo segment that didn't serve any purpose or build to anything. They were obviously just told to go out there and say "I should be challenging for your title" and then wait for the next guy's music. Bad direction. Negative numbers/10 due to how my excitement for the title picture was completely sapped by this booking. There are several better ways to keep a spot for Naomi if she's fit but exclude her if she's not, without listing them.

- Teddy Long Invitational Tag Match kinda boring. Was wondering why Becky, as the only face, was the one trying to make the hot tag all match but makes sense if Natalya's not in it. Still, we've seen Becky/Alexa/Mickie a lot, it's too much now. Ending was decent because at least something happened, though repetition continues as Becky loses another segment. 3/10

- AJ in-ring promo. Didn't listen. Didn't want to listen. I'm sure it was alright. Just pointless. 0/10.

- Styles v Orton in What The **** Have We Done match. Glad that Styles saw the RKO coming like everyone else, but other than that, just your standard Styles match. So above-average 6/10.

Glad I skipped through the show and didn't watch in real time.

Miz/Maryse on Talking Smack - 10/10. They are the faces in this feud, especially when Cena proposes at WM. That would only be saved by Nikki shock rejecting.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    It was an awful show today that left me feeling disappointed when I should be feeling excited. Pretty much every segment was bad or badly done.

- Pointless and boring opening promo segment with authority figures. I thought this was SD, not Raw. And for an already-announced match as well. To top it off, one of them pretends the winner has never turned down the WM opportunity, probably because that means they'd also have to mention that really the runner-up, ROMAN REIGNS, should be main eventing WM now going by their rules. 0/10. Which leads to...

Miz/Maryse on Talking Smack - 10/10. They are the faces in this feud, especially when Cena proposes at WM. That would only be saved by Nikki shock rejecting.
    Agree on both counts. Talking Smack is by far and away the best thing WWE produces. Surely the company needs to eventually trim an hour off RAW and set up some sort of post-match talk show for that, too?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The WM33 card is beginning to take shape:
    • Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton for the WWE Championship
    • Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar for the WWE Universal Championship
    • Chris Jericho vs. Kevin Owens for the WWE United States Championship
    • Bayley vs. Charlotte Flair vs. Sasha Banks for the WWE Raw Women's Championship
    • Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson vs. Enzo Amore and Big Cass or Cesaro and Sheamus for the WWE Raw Tag Team Championship
    • Alexa Bliss vs. every available competitor in the SmackDown women's division for the WWE SmackDown Women's Championship
    • André the Giant Memorial Battle Royal Battle royal for the André the Giant Memorial Trophy

Expect to be confirmed:

AJ Styles vs Shane McMahon
    John Cena and Nikki Bella vs The Miz and Maryse
    Roman Reigns vs The Undertaker
    Neville vs Austin Aries for the WWE Cruiserweight Championship
    American Alpha vs The Usos for the WWE SmackDown Tag-Team Championships
    Dean Ambrose vs Baron Corbin for the WWE Intercontinental Championship
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Holy ****.

WWE confirms the first weekend in May will be the inaugural tapings of "United Kingdom Championship Live.

The show will be filmed at Norwich's Epic Studios and be part of a series of WWE events in the UK that week, with Raw and Smackdown the O2.

Advertised: Tyler Bate, Pete Dunne, Wolfgang, Trent Seven, Sam Gradwell, Joseph Conners, Mark Andrews, Tyson T-Bone, Dan Moloney, James Drake, Saxon Huxley, and cruiserweight division stars Rich Swann, TJ Perkins, Akira Tozawa, Brian Kendrick, and Tony Nese.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It's not rare for an episode of RAW to feel like filler at this stage of the year, with WM still a few weeks away, and that's exactly what last night felt like.

There was some good plot progression between Triple H and Seth Rollins, with the pair brawling to close out the show, but a lot of it was treading water: we saw Paul Heyman kick things off with Brock Lesnar to deliver a promo about the Goldberg bout, but it was nothing new (even if it was excellent mic work as per), and a really good Kevin Owens promo before his tag team bout with Samoa Joe vs Chris Jericho and Sami Zayn.

The heels were absolutely great in that bout, earning a disqualification when they beat down the babyfaces and refused to stop. Recently, there have been hints of a Triple H/Samoa Joe/Kevin Owens stable. I'd love to see that. Recently, Triple H has been declaring a "nightmare" is coming for Rollins - could that be Finn Balor, or the Demon King? Intriguing. Last night, we saw HHH and Rollins clash after a combustion between the relationship between Mick Foley and Stephanie McMahon, which seemed incredibly rushed, but it showcased Rollins' bravery and injury and Triple H looked like a heck of a heel.

In terms of in-ring action, Big Show defeated Titus O'Neil in a squash, Roman Reigns beat Jinder Mahal in a squash (before Braun Strowman interrupted and ambushed him potentially sparking a Triple Threat with the Undertaker at WM33?) and Austin Aries picked up a win over Daivari to continue his ascent towards a Mania match with Neville. In terms of illogical booking, it was a shame to see Enzo and Cass vs Sheamus and Cesaro - a No. 1 Contender's bout for the RAW Tag-Team belts - end in a DQ when Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows attacked both teams, making a Mania Triple Threat. In what world would heel belt holders make their job harder?! There was another match in the tag division, too, with Tony Nese and Brian Kendrick beating Akira Tozawa and TJ Perkins via heel tactics in the opening male bout of the night.

There was a lack of Rusev, and a severe lack of the New Day, but probably the highlights of the show were the women's division, which progressed massively: Dana Brooke was cut free from Charlotte, turning babyface after she attacked the heel following a loss to Sasha Banks, Nia Jax ran over Bayley and will surely be added to the belt match at WM33, making it a Fatal 4-Way, and Banks showcased hints of a heel turn. Happy days.

ReputationRep:
    I don't remember if I shared this.

ReputationRep:
    anyone else really annoyed that AJ Styles isn't getting a proper title match or anything at Wrestlemania?

I know they are building this AJ v Shane McMahon thing but that just seems such a waste for someone as good as Styles.

also I hope Becky wins back the SD Womens title at WM33 as well, she's awesome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie Rushden)
    anyone else really annoyed that AJ Styles isn't getting a proper title match or anything at Wrestlemania?

I know they are building this AJ v Shane McMahon thing but that just seems such a waste for someone as good as Styles.

also I hope Becky wins back the SD Womens title at WM33 as well, she's awesome!
    Everyone is annoyed by it.

Becky winning would've made sense, beating Alexa and maybe Mickie, getting her moment, then getting challenged by Asuka in a back-and-forth feud for the next few months while they build up other challengers.

But they want Naomi to be there in her hometown with the title, so they've made it a vague match with 'everyone' so if she's back in time she can be a surprise entrant and win it back.

And if she's not back, they can just slingshot someone else to the title without building them, meaning Becky has gone from 'likely' to 'not very likely' as she's the only one on the whole roster that doesn't need any more building (even more than Alexa who they've booked weakly). I'd bet Alexa has more chance of winning, then she can claim to have no competition, then Asuka comes out saying she has no competition either, then Alexa has to escape her for 2 months, probably using Tamina as a bodyguard.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    AJ vs Shane is such, such a waste of talent. You heard him last week discussing it, too, and he seemed far from enamoured with it.

Last night, I felt SmackDown was a good show with some good storyline progression. AJ vs Shane got confirmed after the former laid down a decent promo in the opening segment, before the Miz and Maryse had their mixed tag-team match vs John Cena and Nikki Bella confirmed for WM33. The MizTV was a good segment, but WWE has the same issue as the AJ/Shane programme: the heels are seeming like babyfaces. The Miz and AJ get a better crowd reaction, and you can see the crowd turning on Cena/Nikki and Shane as the programme progresses. That said, AJ's mic work was brilliant last night - as good as I've ever heard it - and Daniel Bryan's intervention was great. AJ's beatdown of Shane was just brilliantly crafted.

The women's division saw Becky Lynch pick up a W over Natalya, but it's a complete cluster****, and the WM33 match is doing them no favours. Storylines don't have time to be created, with so many women shoehorned into the bout. We saw Carmella attack Becky out of nowhere (why do we care?) and Mickie James beat Alexa Bliss, with the former not over as a babyface and the crowd seemingly disengaged. In terms of male in ring action, Mojo Rawley beat Dolph Ziggler (albeit via countout) in the most nothing bout of the night, before American Alpha (surprisingly) enjoyed a main event vs the Usos. It was good to see the tag division highlighted and showcased, but the crowd needs more time to invest in this feud, with the Usos picking up the win and the crowd being way less than hot. That win came after Bray Wyatt and Randy Orton clashed in a battle of the promos. I'm excited for their Mania bout - I just wish it featured Luke Harper, too. The big misstep from Tuesday night, for me, was a lack of Dean Ambrose and Baron Corbin.

On 205 Live, Neville solidified his place as the top heel in the company - barring Samoa Joe, perhaps - with a scathing promo to kick things off, before Mustapha Ali beat Drew Gulak in a fun opener (before Gulak blasted 205 Live and says he needs to be appreciated after - and he's right, he's much more talented than a jobber), Noam Dar picked up the win for he and Daivari vs Rich Swann and Jack Gallagher in a tag bout (it's a shame to see Cedric Alexander is injured for 3-5 months, because he'd surely have featured in this bout as one of the division's top babyfaces) and a Fatal 5-Way match to determine who would face Neville for the Cruiserweight Championship at WrestleMania 33.

It's a shame the likes of Swann and Gallagher have fallen from feuding with Neville to being shoehorned into meaningless tag matches, but the main event saw Austin Aries (as expected, and as predicted) beat Akira Tozawa, Tony Nese, TJ Perkins and The Brian Kendrick to go forward to Mania. The latter removed Perkins (who needs to be a heel), after the Cruiserweight Classic winner removed Nese, and Kendrick sent back Tozawa.

ReputationRep:
    WrestleMania will inevitably be seven hours long again this year or possibly even more judging by the fact there's 11 matches announced and we're still 3 weeks away with a lot of guys still not booked. There's 5 or 6 matches on the card I think will be really fun but its just too damn long ... I was bored to tears by the time The Rock came out last year.

AJ/Shane should be really good, Orton/Wyatt will be fun even though its not the title match anyone wanted, Lesnar/Goldberg is always a fun attraction. Excited for Owens/Jericho ... Roman/Undertaker will be something different and the womens 3 way should be good. It's a solid card, if not a little unspectacular, but Mania is always a fun spectacle regardless.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but card is so stacked it's great. I can't remember the last recent card that had this many stars and big matches on the roster.
    Main event worthy matches:

Goldberg Vs Lesnar
    Rollins vs Triple H
    KO vs Jericho
    Reigns vs Undertaker
    Orton vs Wyatt
    Styles vs Shane

All 6 of these matches are huge, usually we got 2 or 3 at most at the same calibre. This will definitely be one of the better wrestle mania's in a while, even if Lesnar beats Goldberg in 5 seconds.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Potentially looks like being Reigns vs Strowman vs Taker.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 13, 2017
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.