Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure I love that Bray's new superpower is just superimposing YouTube videos of worms.

ReputationRep:
    It looks like this is the end for Undertaker. Sad scenes at the end tbh and for Reigns, a clean win does nothing for him. They might as well have had Kane in the ring for Taker's last match.

Thought the whole ending was done nicely.

ReputationRep:
    Taker said years back that he would retire when he felt he couldn't go any more.

If I was Taker's friend and I was in the biz, I would've told him after Taker/Bray that perhaps it was time.

If he still wasn't sure before this Roman match whether he was going to retire, thinking he might still be able to do it next year, he sure as hell knows now.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    What struck me is that it wasn't a good guy defeating a brave, old veteran. It wasn't like it would be if John Cena beat The Undertaker. It was more reminiscent of the Brock Lesnar bout, in the idea that it was a cocky monster picking on a haggard corpse. For what it's worth, I thought WrestleMania was excellent for three hours, and really undermined by the final hour.

The AJ Styles vs Shane McMahon bout was a great way to open, and while the winner was never in doubt, Shane O'Mac looked fearless and showed he can go. I reckon he'll have earned AJ's respect in there, you know. Styles is arguably the best in-ring performer in the business today, but Shane showed he can handle himself out of the "jaw-dropping stunts" scenarios. I was also a big fan of how The New Day hosted the show (the Big E "pull the lever" joke and look at Xavier was fun), but it's just a shame they weren't involved in the Ladders Match. As soon as the Hardy Boyz returned (and I don't mind admitting I popped hard), I knew they'd win, and so it proved. The bout itself was great, and them picking up the straps is a good thing: they are so relevant and the best tag-team in the world. The belts have dropped in their allure since the New Day relinquished them, despite me being a big fan of Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson. I think Sheamus and Cesaro are better singles competitors, and I think Big Cass is set for a singles push with Enzo as a mouthpiece. Both tag divisions need new blood. I'd call up DIY to RAW and The Revival to SmackDown.

In between those matches, Kevin Owens and Chris Jericho engaged in a show-stealer. That bout, like many of the other matches on the card, could have done with five minutes longer. I was fairly disappointed by the Fatal 4-Way after it, too. Bayley reclaiming the gold was unexpected, but I'm pleased. I would have preferred WWE to continue Charlotte's PPV streak to Mania, and have Bayley have her Daniel Bryan moment then. I also expected a Sasha Banks heel turn, but that may come on RAW tonight. Nia Jax just isn't ready to lead the division. In terms of the blue brand women's strap, Naomi reclaimed the gold she relinquished through injury in a match which was ONE MINUTE longer than the Lesnar vs Goldberg squash. I wasn't a fan of the Lesnar vs Goldberg match. It did nothing for me, and something seriously needs to be done about Lesnar. The "Suplex City" gimmick is just not working.

In perhaps the most soppy moment of the night, John Cena - who is now taking time off - and Nikki Bella - who may not wrestle ever again - went over two full-timers, the Miz and Maryse. Cena proposed afterwards, like we all expected, but the bout was a dud. It was a shame, because it was probably (aside from Owens vs Jericho and Neville vs Aries) the bout which excited me most. We also saw the new era and old era collide, with Seth Rollins beating Triple H (who lost at consecutive Manias for the first time since 2011 and 2012) and Randy Orton beat Bray Wyatt, in a booking decision which is just farcical. How many times can Creative do this to Wyatt? They build him up and up, to let him down. As for the main event... well, thank you Taker. What a legend. He looked slow, weak and poor last night, but I'll never forget all the great matches he's given me at WM over the years.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't expecting that show to finish at 5.20am that's for sure! But worth it to see the Deadman finish off a long career.

The match was poor - like I said before, they could have had anybody in with him and Reigns, contrary to what WWE will try to make you believe, will not benefit from winning a match in which the Undertaker was so lifeless. In fact, he'll get more heat. Did the Undertaker carry on for too long? Yes, and the rematches in the WM streak show that even the company was running out of ideas. I'll remember 2004 and the weekly anticipation that built ahead of his return at WMXX that was awesome to watch. Plus, the Tombstone as a finisher will be missed (despite Reigns botching two attempts to do it last night). I wonder if that's it or will Taker, out of character, will confirm his retirement on RAW?

As for the show as a whole, I enjoyed the chunk of it until the end. The early matches were good, and delivered slightly more than anticipated. Hardy Boys return was a nice surprise on the night. HHH v Rollins was my favourite match in terms of becoming invested in the match as it went on and the ending was fun as well, with the crowd really behind Rollins.

Goldberg v Lesnar did what it needed to do. Short, full of suplexes and spears and Brock v Reigns is likely to be the direction the title is heading towards. I'd be amazed if that wasn't Bill's last match either - he's been energetic in his comeback but looked off the pace physically hence the short matches.

Bray and Orton was another waste alongside the joke that was Cena's match. They booked Miz strong then in a matter of minutes it was all over for the 'payoff' for Cena proposing. The former match, well notable for a few ring effects than anything else.

But I didn't watch the last few Manias in full so can't compare but it was better than I thought it would be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    I wasn't expecting that show to finish at 5.20am that's for sure! But worth it to see the Deadman finish off a long career.

The match was poor - like I said before, they could have had anybody in with him and Reigns, contrary to what WWE will try to make you believe, will not benefit from winning a match in which the Undertaker was so lifeless. In fact, he'll get more heat. Did the Undertaker carry on for too long? Yes, and the rematches in the WM streak show that even the company was running out of ideas. I'll remember 2004 and the weekly anticipation that built ahead of his return at WMXX that was awesome to watch. Plus, the Tombstone as a finisher will be missed (despite Reigns botching two attempts to do it last night). I wonder if that's it or will Taker, out of character, will confirm his retirement on RAW?

As for the show as a whole, I enjoyed the chunk of it until the end. The early matches were good, and delivered slightly more than anticipated. Hardy Boys return was a nice surprise on the night. HHH v Rollins was my favourite match in terms of becoming invested in the match as it went on and the ending was fun as well, with the crowd really behind Rollins.

Goldberg v Lesnar did what it needed to do. Short, full of suplexes and spears and Brock v Reigns is likely to be the direction the title is heading towards. I'd be amazed if that wasn't Bill's last match either - he's been energetic in his comeback but looked off the pace physically hence the short matches.

Bray and Orton was another waste alongside the joke that was Cena's match. They booked Miz strong then in a matter of minutes it was all over for the 'payoff' for Cena proposing. The former match, well notable for a few ring effects than anything else.

But I didn't watch the last few Manias in full so can't compare but it was better than I thought it would be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was definitely better than last year's Mania, but didn't quite live up to WM30 or WM31. For me, I felt the Jericho/Owens bout should have gone longer, and despite Shane's over-delivering in the ring, I had a lingering sense of "what could have been?" had AJ been paired up with a genuine bona fide world-class star. The mixed tag-team match, both women's bouts, the Brock Lesnar/Goldberg match and Randy Orton beating Bray all massively underwhelmed, but the majority of the show - from the Hardy Boyz returning, to Seth Rollins going over - was thoroughly enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    The mixed tag-team match, both women's bouts, the Brock Lesnar/Goldberg match and Randy Orton beating Bray all massively underwhelmed
    In what way did it underwhelm?

I thought it was booked perfectly, any grumbles it needed to be 5min longer is minor. Other side of the coin had that happened would have been it was 5 too long. It did what it needed to and booked to Goldberg's strengths.

It has been great to see Goldberg back and overcome that disappointing first run in the company and he seems to have completed his goals in the reasons he came back, for his family.

But despite his energy, intensity, he has looked off the pace physically IMO. I thought he looked tired getting down to the ramp last night! He performed in a match that was booked perfectly and he's had a run which at the age of 50 isn't too bad an ending

ReputationRep:
    Very disappointed with the Goldberg match
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)

But despite his energy, intensity, he has looked off the pace physically IMO. I thought he looked tired getting down to the ramp last night! He performed in a match that was booked perfectly and he's had a run which at the age of 50 isn't too bad an ending
    I guess underwhelm is the wrong word, because I was never bothered about it in the first place. The feud's star faded very quickly following Survivor Series.

Stoked for RAW tonight. Samoa Joe vs Seth Rollins, Braun Strowman vs. Roman Reigns, Brock Lesnar vs Finn Balor, Sasha Banks vs Bayley and the Hardy Boyz vs The Club at Payback, please, WWE.

ReputationRep:
    Now Taker can stop protecting his gimmick and really up his Twitter game, he could even get a tick on his account.

Talking about shopping for milk, his car/motorcycle breaking down, trying to fix the TV. But all in deadman puns and references still.

@WWEMarkWCalaway "TV picture gone all fuzzy, like whenever I would show up on Raw #DigginHoles

@MattHardyBrand "@WWEMarkWCalaway It appears to be BROKEN AAAAHHHHAHAAA YEEAAASSS #WONDERFUL"

@KaneWWE "@WWEMarkWCalaway Need me to help? #BrosBeforeHoes"

@WWEMarkWCalaway "@KaneWWE I don't know, do we like each other right now or are we fighting again? I can't keep up."

@KaneWWE "@WWEMarkWCalaway HOW DARE YOU I WILL KILL YOU AND CONDEMN YOUR SOUL FOR ETERNITY AT WRESTLEMAN-oh, right #TooSoon #MyBad #IForgot"

@wweURNiverse "@MattHardyBrand OHHHHHH YESSSS"

@TheJimCornette "@wweURNiverse Percy Pringle you mother:dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:ing sack of :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:, I thought Taker killed you, and then I thought you died again for real?!?! #WhatIsKayfabeAnymore"

@wweURNiverse "@TheJimCornette Always behind the times, have you not seen my family and their shtick? Do you know how often we've literally killed each other?"

@TheJimCornette "@wweURNiverse dangit that actually figures, well :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: me"

ReputationRep:
    Undertaker retired, it was so emotional
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    A brilliant episode of RAW, as post-Mania usually is: Kurt Angle returning as RAW GM, like many thought, Vince McMahon returning to announce a shake-up between the rosters, and the Revival debuting, not to mention Finn Balor's comeback from injury.

Balor returned to team with Seth Rollins in the main event, picking up a tag-team victory over Kevin Owens and Samoa Joe, and he picked up the pin. That's great booking, and shows the company is still high on him despite his injury. He needs to be in and around the main event. That was just a night of many highlights - Angle's return and milking the crowd, who lapped him up, as well as the Revival debuting and beating the New Day (who demanded some competition after being off the WM card) before injuring Kofi Kingston and looking really fierce.

Going forward, the Revival promises to breathe life into the tag-team division on RAW, with mouth-watering match potential vs The Hardy Boyz, who picked up a victory over the Club on Monday night. The Hardy Boyz competed in consecutive ladder matches on consecutive nights this weekend, and were thrilling in between the ropes again. They really are such good athletes. The Revival are the best tag team in WWE, the Hardy Boyz are the best tag team in the world, and matches between the two groups are massively promising. Elsewhere on the card, Big Cass and Enzo - who are presumably destined for SmackDown given the bumper tag division on RAW now? - lost to Sheamus and Cesaro, as the two remaining teams from the Fatal 4-Way Mania ladder match were thrown together.

I really enjoyed the opening segment, which saw Roman Reigns draw the biggest heel reaction yet, and I really enjoyed Neville picking up the win over Mustapha Ali after a good, scathing promo. The only missteps, really, were Sami Zayn beating Jinder Mahal in a match nobody cared about, and Emma's return, which saw her team with Charlotte and Nia Jax as they lost to Bayley, Sasha Banks and Dana Brooke. Post-bout, Jax beat down Charlotte and they are seemingly destined for a singles programme, leaving Bayley clear to feud with Sasha.

Chris Jericho was beaten backstage, but that triggered the announcement of a WM match between him and Owens at Payback. In another intriguing segment, Brock Lesnar and Paul Heyman were interrupted by Braun Strowman, potentially hinting at a match at Payback. That's a very, very intriguing way to go for WWE, if it happens.

ReputationRep:
    Undertaker is retired. I miss that macho man.

ReputationRep:
    My initial suggestions for the sorta-draft/trade deal shtick coming next week:

Charlotte (or Sasha) to SD - I always had Sasha going to SD, but judging from last night it's going to be Charlotte (also Becky and Charlotte are huge BFFs so this kinda figures).

Styles to Raw or Gallows/Anderson to SD - Styles sets up Club feuds, but can also see The Club being reunited and running rampant on SD (especially as Gallows/Anderson lost the tag titles and rematch, and before that (and now) Raw had no idea what to do with them)

Carmella to Raw just to freshen up Enzo/Cass since they're getting stale.

Cena/Nikki to Raw - Need to bump those Raw ratings back up. Hey they could do the ceremony on Raw! What could go wrong?...

Jericho to SD - His recent run was on Raw, perhaps now he can help out on SD when he comes back.

Finn or BRAUUUUN to SD - My big surprise choice, I feel like now they have Lesnar/Braun/Roman in the main event scene that they're gonna um and ah over having Finn in that same title picture, especially as Booking 101 states he must get the title he vacated ASAP. This avoids that unwritten rule. BRAUUUUN is being set up for Raw title picture but could be a red herring, and instead becomes another factor in the absolute dysfunctional :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:ery that is the Wyatt Family.

Ambrose/Owens + titles trade - My potential title trade choice. Ambrose is already getting stale, especialyl as champ, while Owens could do with a new environment.

I had thought Seth to SD was a shoe-in, given he's feuded with those in charge, but they're gone (for now) and Kurt's in charge and he's got no reason to want him gone.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    My initial suggestions for the sorta-draft/trade deal shtick coming next week:

Charlotte (or Sasha) to SD - I always had Sasha going to SD, but judging from last night it's going to be Charlotte (also Becky and Charlotte are huge BFFs so this kinda figures).

Styles to Raw or Gallows/Anderson to SD - Styles sets up Club feuds, but can also see The Club being reunited and running rampant on SD (especially as Gallows/Anderson lost the tag titles and rematch, and before that (and now) Raw had no idea what to do with them)

Carmella to Raw just to freshen up Enzo/Cass since they're getting stale.

Cena/Nikki to Raw - Need to bump those Raw ratings back up. Hey they could do the ceremony on Raw! What could go wrong?...

Jericho to SD - His recent run was on Raw, perhaps now he can help out on SD when he comes back.

Finn or BRAUUUUN to SD - My big surprise choice, I feel like now they have Lesnar/Braun/Roman in the main event scene that they're gonna um and ah over having Finn in that same title picture, especially as Booking 101 states he must get the title he vacated ASAP. This avoids that unwritten rule. BRAUUUUN is being set up for Raw title picture but could be a red herring, and instead becomes another factor in the absolute dysfunctional :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:ery that is the Wyatt Family.

Ambrose/Owens + titles trade - My potential title trade choice. Ambrose is already getting stale, especialyl as champ, while Owens could do with a new environment.

I had thought Seth to SD was a shoe-in, given he's feuded with those in charge, but they're gone (for now) and Kurt's in charge and he's got no reason to want him gone.
    Charlotte needs to stay on RAW imho. She's the centrepiece of the women's division and her on the blue brand just won't happen. Fully agree Dean Ambrose needs to move to RAW, and potentially feud with Rollins again to reignite his character, and Zayn belongs on SmackDown.

I think we'll see Enzo and Cass join SmackDown, but the blue brand is in need of a major heel duo given American Alpha/Enzo and Cass are working babyface.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone see the Wenger out sign at last nights RAW? LOOOL
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Anyone see the Wenger out sign at last nights RAW? LOOOL
    WM's best - and weirdest sign:

ReputationRep:
    For once I'm actually invested in Reigns as a character. He is very close to (if not already) becoming the greatest heel in the history of the WWE.
    I can definitely also get behind Brock's face run with the title, as long as he doesn't lose it to Reigns.. but he will.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    For once I'm actually invested in Reigns as a character. He is very close to (if not already) becoming the greatest heel in the history of the WWE.
    I can definitely also get behind Brock's face run with the title, as long as he doesn't lose it to Reigns.. but he will.
    Apparently Lesnar vs Reigns is a lock for next year's Mania. Ideally, my perfect booking would be Lesnar facing Strowman briefly, before going head-to-head with Samoa Joe through summer. He's part-time, and should probably have some time away, before he and Reigns (who should be heel) collide from Survivor Series through the Rumble to Mania.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Apparently Lesnar vs Reigns is a lock for next year's Mania. Ideally, my perfect booking would be Lesnar facing Strowman briefly, before going head-to-head with Samoa Joe through summer. He's part-time, and should probably have some time away, before he and Reigns (who should be heel) collide from Survivor Series through the Rumble to Mania.
    The best thing about Goldberg's return is that he's proved Lesnar is human, and defeat-able. I have a feeling the company will let him hold the strap until next Wrestlemania (especially if that's his last?), but this time they can get away with it just because of the brand split and numerous other titles. If Seth Rollins goes for the united states champion, it will elevate that title and fill the void from Lesnar hardly being here too.

Balor vs Joe has to happen too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.