Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    Reigns is a heel if anything, but 'face' and 'heel' stopped being a thing years ago, probably starting with the Lesnar/Taker feud. Now you just have people. At any given time, a few are obviously dicks (Owens, Miz), a few are obviously good guys (Becky, Cena) but generally everyone is shades of both.

Splitting up the Hardyz, let alone before they get to be 'Broken', would destroy them.

Mahal got the pin because Orton is beating him in the title match.

Corbin is getting a world title push this year.
    I still really like Reigns, his matches are amazing but its gonna be difficult for people to like him again. So just like Mackay said it would be great for him to have a fued with Miz and it would give Miz a slight push too if they give him a match against him where he wins or has a few great moments of wrestling.

Yeah, forgot about the Brocken act. If they become Brocken it would be great for the tag team division.

Yh, thats the thing, WWE are too predictable, who actually thinks Mahal has a chance. Orton is to big of a superstar to lose against him. Yeah I agree with @Mackay that Orton is getting a bit boring with the way hes being booked but he can still be a great wrestler. When he was in a fued with the Authority thats when he was at his best. He needs to have a fued with AJ Styles or Baron Corbin.

Corbin deserves a push, hes a great wrestler. His finisher is madness. Very cool.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King_786)
    I still really like Reigns, his matches are amazing but its gonna be difficult for people to like him again. So just like Mackay said it would be great for him to have a fued with Miz and it would give Miz a slight push too if they give him a match against him where he wins or has a few great moments of wrestling.

Yeah, forgot about the Brocken act. If they become Brocken it would be great for the tag team division.

Yh, thats the thing, WWE are too predictable, who actually thinks Mahal has a chance. Orton is to big of a superstar to lose against him. Yeah I agree with @Mackay that Orton is getting a bit boring with the way hes being booked but he can still be a great wrestler. When he was in a fued with the Authority thats when he was at his best. He needs to have a fued with AJ Styles or Baron Corbin.

Corbin deserves a push, hes a great wrestler. His finisher is madness. Very cool.
    Corbin will be set for the MITB briefcase, I expect. He'll end up facing Orton/Styles at Summerslam. The next logical feud for Orton is Styles. He's in desperate need of a heel turn and some life breathed into his stale character.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Corbin will be set for the MITB briefcase, I expect. He'll end up facing Orton/Styles at Summerslam. The next logical feud for Orton is Styles. He's in desperate need of a heel turn and some life breathed into his stale character.
    Agreed. Maybe at MITB, Orton vs AJ with Orton about to win after hitting an RKO on Styles but Corbin comes in and cashes in just before Orton is about to pin AJ. and nearly loses as he is hit by an RKO straight away but Orton is then phenomenal fore armed. Then after a slight pause Corbin gets the End of Days on AJ and wins. After the match both are pissed but AJ brings up a hand but gets RKO'd instead. Would be a great ending in my opinion. And a great way for Orton to turn heel and lights up the fued even more between the 2. Lets just say this is there first one on one match.

Yes I know, I should become a WWE writer.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Man, the news Strowman is out for 6 months is a major, major blow. Regardless, RAW did well to build excitement for Extreme Rules last night. Kurt Angle declared a Fatal 5-Way No. 1 Contender Match in the opening segment - featuring Roman Reigns, Finn Balor, Samoa Joe, Bray Wyatt and Seth Rollins. Naturally, each competitor interrupted - Reigns first, declaring RAW "his yard" and taking credit for injuring Strowman, then Balor, Joe, Wyatt and finally Rollins. The latter rightly said they'll all face each other over the coming weeks, a hint that WWE has 50/50 booking and plenty of singles match-ups planned. We saw Balor stand tall in the opening segment once violence erupted, but he ate a pin vs Reigns later in the night. To be honest, that booking is smart. Balor has a win over Reigns already on his resume, so evening the score means WWE potentially has a deciding match to play with later on down the line. The match was good, much better than the main event, which saw Wyatt face Rollins in their first ever singles match. The crowd was stale by this point, owing to the three-hour running time, but the in-ring action was good enough and it was pleasing to see Wyatt stand tall by delivering a Sister Abigail to both Joe (he interfered to cost either man the win) and Rollins.

In terms of other matches, Jeff Hardy defeated Sheamus in the opening bout of the night, in a fun match but one which hinted this rivalry is losing steam quite quickly. WWE needs to freshen it up, because we're seeing the same formula week in, week out, right now. I have every faith Sheamus and Cesaro will take the straps off the Hardyz, it's just a matter of time. Similarly, one of my favourite storylines - Neville vs Austin Aries - is also losing steam. The duo were booked in a tag team match, with TJP and Jack Gallagher partnering both respectively (the heels won). All four are so talented, but it felt repetitive. We're seeing the same thing every week, on RAW and 205 Live, it seems. I'd like to see Neville retain at Extreme Rules and then get a new challenger.

The women's division had mixed fortunes Monday night. We saw Alicia Fox run over Sasha Banks in three minutes - hardly a glowing endorsement of the Women's Division - before Alexa Bliss cut a scathing and talented promo later in the night. She's so good as the cocky heel, and she was excellent once again last night. Bayley showed some steel and fire, which is a welcome development to her character ahead of Extreme Rules, where she will need to get nasty and mean. It was a shame we didn't see the spectre of Nia Jax hanging over the pair, but oh well. Bayley's in desperate need of a character shift, owing to the fact some sections of the crowd are booing her now. Being an out-and-out babyface just isn't cool, is it?

The Intercontinental Championship was highlighted again, with Dean Ambrose set to face the Miz at Extreme Rules. I'd like to see the Miz in the main event, really, but these two have good in-ring chemistry and they are solid workers WWE can rely on to deliver a secondary championship storyline. Last night, Ambrose retained the belt but lost to the Miz, laying him flat with a low blow to draw the disqualification. This feud seems well-trodden at this point, owing to the fact they feuded on SmackDown, and both competitor needs a fresh opponent post-Extreme Rules.

The other segments of note were contrasting: we saw Goldust turn on R-Truth, breaking up The Golden Truth with a shocking beatdown before they were scheduled to meet the Club. That was a really shocking development and I loved it. It completely swerved me. But the other segment, which saw Big Cass beat Titus O'Neil after Enzo cut an annoying promo (as usual) was just worthless and did nothing for me. The O'Neil/Apollo Crews alliance is potentially interesting, but WWE needs to do something to rebuild the pair after months (and, in O'Neil's case, years) of being perennial lower carders.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    A weird episode of SmackDown for me, largely because I just don't accept Jinder Mahal as a credible challenger. We saw him beat AJ Styles, thanks to interference from Kevin Owens, after the three kicked off the night with an in-ring segment. It's clever to build up Mahal, and I know they need to, but five weeks ago he was losing to Mojo Rawley in a squash match, and now he's beating Styles. 50/50 booking would dictate Styles gets the win over Owens this weekend, but I can't see that happening, given his injury and the fact WWE will want to milk this feud for all its worth. I see them both being in the MITB Ladder Match, before a deciding match further down the route. The Owens/Styles feud is the best thing on SmackDown at the minute, bar the Fashion Files, and the Highlight Reel shtick was a good segment.

Mahal also beat down Randy Orton to close out the show, ahead of their Backlash bout, following the champion's victory over Baron Corbin in the main event. Corbin looked a real star here, meshing well with Orton, and it was a refreshing match-up which hints Corbin may be ready for the push WWE are reportedly set to give him. This weekend, Corbin will face Sami Zayn at Backlash, and we also saw Tye Dillinger vs Aiden English booked for the pre-show.

As for the Fashion Files, it shone yet again - and was my highlight of the show. The Usos cut a great promo after Breezango ran over the Colons, and this feud is rapidly developing. It's been really good and promising thus far. To be honest, I don't see the babyfaces winning this weekend, given the fact The New Day are set to return in June (according to reports). It makes sense for WWE to have a money feud between the New Day and the Usos. Whatever happens, Breezango must be developed post-Backlash. It's a great gimmick and they've enjoyed a career resurgence of late. Keep them highlighted, give them screen time, and it will add depth to the division.

The other segments of note were Carmella picking up a much-needed win over Naomi, lending her momentum and credibility going forward. That bout, which was surprisingly good, followed the Welcoming Committee staring down Naomi, Charlotte and Becky Lynch. The two teams were introduced by Shane McMahon in the ring, and while the entrances dragged (thus causing the segment to lose steam), it did its job in hyping Sunday's bout. James Ellsworth is a heck of an annoying heel, and I'd love to see an inter-gender match between him and Lynch somewhere down the line (something Lynch has gone on record as saying she'd be open to).

On 205 Live, we saw Noam Dar - alongside Alicia Fox - defeat Gran Metalik in the opening bout, either side of a pair of decent backstage interviews: Austin Aries hyping his bout with TJP later in the night, and the Brian Kendrick, who hyped his streetfight next week with Akira Tozawa. We also saw Cedric Alexander's return hyped by a vignette, which is really promising. As I've mentioned time and time again, I want Neville to run with the belt for as long as possible. I think Aries, who beat TJP in the main event, is a really good performer but he's a better heel. Last night, he got the win but triggered a beatdown from Neville and TJP, only for Jack Gallagher to make the save. 205 Live, and the cruiserweight division in general, is suffering from monotonous and repetitive booking. We see these four stars go toe-to-toe every week, just like we see Mustapha Ali (who fought to a no contest vs Tony Nese, after Drew Gulak ambushed him en route to the ring) clash with Gulak every week. It's getting same-y. The other segment of note was a farcical storyline centring around Gallagher, Rich Swann, Ariya Daivari and a box of powder. The less said, the better.

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Updated Backlash card:

WWE Championship: Randy Orton (c) vs. Jinder Mahal
    SmackDown Tag Team Championships: The Usos (c) vs. Breezango
    United States Championship: Kevin Owens (c) vs. AJ Styles
    Naomi, Charlotte Flair, and Becky Lynch vs. Tamina, Carmella, and Natalya
    Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Dolph Ziggler
    Sami Zayn vs. Baron Corbin
    Erick Rowan vs. Luke Harper
    Kickoff Show: Aiden English vs. Tye Dillinger

Predictions: Dillinger, Harper, Corbin, Nakamura, Tamina/Carmella/Natalya, Owens, The Usos, Orton.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been watching Raw or SmackDown frequently because of exams, so I'm not that excited for Backlash to be honest.

The one match I am killing to see is Owens vs Styles. I've wanted that since Styles got thrown out of the Royal Rumble in 2016 whilst Owens screamed "Welcome to the WWE!!"

I just have a feeling Nakamura's first main roster match will be a flop.

As for Jinder Mahal, hahahaha. Not sure how, but he's actually become a good heel.

Breezeango have been getting a lot of fan attention recently, hope this gets converted into titles (maybe not straight away, have them chase for a bit)

Rest of the show is filler.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Final NXT Chicago card:

NXT Championship: Champion Bobby Roode vs. Hideo Itami
    NXT Women's Championship: Asuka vs. Ruby Riot vs. Nikki Cross
    Ladder match for the NXT Tag-Team Championships: The Authors of Pain vs. DIY
    WWE United Kingdom Championship: Tyler Bate vs. Pete Dunne
    Eric Young vs. Roderick Strong

Predictions: Roode, Asuka, The Authors of Pain, Dunne, Strong.

I'm backing Asuka, because nobody is a legit threat to her, HOWEVER, it would be so smart of WWE to book her to drop her belt without taking a pin. She could turn merciless, ruthless and absolutely tear NXT apart.

ReputationRep:
    Who else thought that WWE turned Bray Wyatt into a joke character? He has so much potential. His work on the mic is also amazing, yet they put him in matches such as House Of Horrors. :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannahRollins)
    Who else thought that WWE turned Bray Wyatt into a joke character? He has so much potential. His work on the mic is also amazing, yet they put him in matches such as House Of Horrors. :\
    Awkward...

^^

ReputationRep:
    Someone talk
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    A great UK special on the Network last night. Wolfgang beat Joseph Connors in the opener, and it was awesome to see Jim Ross back in WWE commentating. The opener was a good bout, but I was let down by the second: The Brian Kendrick and TJP vs. Dan Moloney and Rich Swann. Kendrick stole the victory, and TJP came across brilliantly as a cocky heel. He's really growing into the role, and you can tell the crowd had some animosity toward him.

Pete Dunne picked up a victory over Trent Seven. Both of these men are great, great British workers. The thing is, Seven is now 35 years old, while Dunne is 23 and at the start of his career. Dunne has been booked and pushed brilliantly by WWE thus far. He's a great heel. I can't wait for him to become an NXT regular. His history with William Regal is already there and makes that a no-brainer. In the main event, Tyler Bate beat Mark Andrews, which we all knew, because he's carrying the belt into tonight's match vs Dunne (I fully expect the heel to emerge victorious tonight, by the way).

Bate, again, looked amazing. He's only 19 ffs. What a talent. The funny thing is, Tyler/Seven and Dunne are a stable in Progress Wrestling, yet WWE has foregone that history in favour of booking the latter as a heel vs his friends.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    That's the best TakeOver I've ever seen - and that's a heck of a statement, given there's no Owens, Zayn, Nakamura, Bayley, Charlotte or Sasha Banks these days. Heck, there's not even The Revival.

But man, what a show. Tyler Bate and Pete Dunne delivered the best match of the year, eclipsing John Cena vs AJ Styles for me. It was an unbelievable match. The right man won the belt, Dunne, and both of these men (at just 19 and 23) need to be pushed to the moon now. Get them on NXT and make them permanent fixtures. The match was exceptional, everybody was raving about it, and it made me so patriotic. It wasn't the only highlight, either. Nikki Cross and Ruby Riot impressed in the Triple Threat, as Asuka retained, and the heel turn at the end which caused the implosion of DIY (Ciampa turning on Gargano) was the most shocking heel turn of the year and ended the show on a heck of a note. The main event itself wasn't stellar - these teams have had better bouts - but I loved the ending and the subsequent heel turn.

Elsewhere, Roderick Strong beat Eric Young of Sanity in a decent opening bout, and Bobby Roode retained in a very good match between himself and Hideo Itami. Itami hitting the GTS in Chicago was just gold, and the match was really fun, full of back and forth action and good signature moves and well-timed kick-outs. But, for me, Dunne vs Bate is the Match of the Year. Hats off to them. It was awesome to see the likes of Steve Austin, Triple H, Big Cass, Dave Meltzer, Sasha Banks et al raving about the bout once it had finished.

ReputationRep:
    Welcome back to 1994...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Jinder ****ing Mahal. Amazing.

Really, this entire PPV was utterly skippable. It felt like one, elongated episode of SmackDown. It was probably the blue brand's weakest own-brand PPV since the Brand Split last year, but there were still highlights. To be honest, I have to question the nature of opening the show with Shinsuke Nakamura vs Dolph Ziggler. Sure, it gave the duo time to work and it didn't feel rushed, but I would have held off that bout for later in the night. It was a decent enough match, if not a little underwhelming, if I'm truthful. I felt both competitors gave it their all, and Ziggler sold like mad, but having Nakamura labour to victory? Against Ziggler, the perennial mid-carder? Hm. That doesn't bode well.

The tag-team match suffered from an overreliance on comedy. Breezango have been a breath of fresh air since the Fashion Files shtick was born, but they need to be more serious in the ring. Fans will thank them for it. Typically, the best mix-and-match tag teams, who rely on comedy (I'm thinking Booker T and Goldust here) have been excellent with their use of comedy backstage, but once they get in the ring, it's pure business. We haven't seen that enough from Breezango, but who knows, maybe them losing will be a catalyst for a more serious edge? The Usos retaining was absolutely the right call. I don't think Breezango will be the ones to relinquish them of the straps (it'll be the New Day, obviously) but WWE needs to showcase more than just two tag-teams at a start, and if Breezango can keep their momentum, they can add depth to the division by carrying a second programme while the Usos and the New Day do battle. WWE has a habit of showcasing just the champions and one challenging team, but they should be doing more, and running with multiple storylines.

As for the highlights, well, AJ Styles and Kevin Owens' clash, with the champion retaining, was just booked perfectly. Both had time to work, used great in-ring psychology and the ending was pure genius and exactly what I expected and wanted to happen. The dusty finish keeps Styles protected, allows Owens to retain, and means we'll likely get two or three more bouts between these pair throughout the summer. Similarly, Sami Zayn going over Baron Corbin was a real pleasant surprise. I'm glad Zayn FINALLY got a PPV win, especially against Corbin, who we all know WWE are hot on. Apparently Corbin will soon have the MITB briefcase, so he'll recover. Zayn has been booked poorly for a year now, though, and SmackDown hasn't offered him a new avenue like many had anticipated. With that said, a win here was crucial - and he got it.

So, low points? Well, the six-woman tag-team match was just what I was dreading. It felt like a SmackDown bout, and while the babyfaces are all over and will stay over, the crowd didn't seem hot for it. Naomi struggled getting the fans to chant, Becky was booked poorly by tapping out, and there were no signs of dissension between Naomi and Charlotte. The Welcoming Committee getting the pin was crucial, as WWE attempts to build them up as challengers, but the bout felt pointless and filler. Similarly, the pre-show was just a waste of an hour, but Aiden English has never been showcased so much. He lost to Tye Dillinger, but in 8 minutes, the pair got a longer pre-show bout than we've become accustomed to. English's gimmick is questionable at best - I have no time for the singing shtick - but he can be a decent heel low-to-midcard presence, and Dillinger is clearly a fan favourite and has the potential to be a breakout character, similar to Zack Ryder. Still, a brief IC title run is probably his limit.

The battle between Erick Rowan and Luke Harper was OK, but I can't say more about it than that. I really feel for Harper, to be honest. He's clearly the best worker from the Wyatt Family, but he's being burdened with poor feuds towards the lower rung of the company. At this stage of the career, and with his athleticism and move-set (that leap through the ropes was unbelievable), I feel he has a higher ceiling than this. Harper got the win, but the placing of this bout was odd. I wanted it to be nearer the opening, with Nakamura vs Styles later on.

As for the main event? Well, where to start? Jinder Mahal is WWE Champion. That sentence makes me intrigued, a little bewildered, and confused. But I'm open to it. Sure, he's lost to El Torito and Hornswoggle. Sure, this push doesn't feel natural and is completely manufactured. But Randy Orton has been a woeful champion, routinely phones in performances, and is lazy in his work and character. I'm open to change. SmackDown just got very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    The audible utter dismay and disappointment from Becky tapping was great as long as they build on it, can lead to Becky attacking Charlotte pre-emptively, and then everyone else and going it alone and getting more of an attitude.

Nakamura/Ziggler was disappointing and so surreal because it reminded me of Ultimate Warrior. Nakamura kicked out of all his finishers then beat him simple as. Even ignoring that Ziggler lost the entire build-up, Ziggler has been well and truly buried.

Breezango had one of those matches where someone involved gets suddenly way more over than they were before the show and can be a turning point for them.

There's so many things wrong with Mahal as champ. The 100% clear abuse of drugs, making him champ solely on his parents' nationality, you can't even say he has the look because he's tall but his body is disgusting. But worst of all the fact he had only won 2 matches in the past 50 or so, so it wasn't even built or booked properly. It was just the shock value, he'll end up midcarding like another shock-value megapush champ Sheamus forever, all a big waste of opportunity.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    There's so many things wrong with Mahal as champ. The 100% clear abuse of drugs, making him champ solely on his parents' nationality, you can't even say he has the look because he's tall but his body is disgusting. But worst of all the fact he had only won 2 matches in the past 50 or so, so it wasn't even built or booked properly. It was just the shock value, he'll end up midcarding like another shock-value megapush champ Sheamus forever, all a big waste of opportunity.
    He's the 50th WWE Champion in history. That should be a landmark. Four days before becoming No. 1 Contender, he beat Curtis Axel ffs. He's lost to everybody from Darren Young and El Torito to Hornswoggle, Curtis Axel, R-Truth and Goldust. It doesn't feel organic, natural or fun. It feels a joke.

ReputationRep:
    Lol the Maharaja!

Only thing it brings is shock value, not much else. They'll take in the brief surge in popularity in India then he'll drop the belt.

From reading a report it seemed there was a mix of an atmosphere and amazement, but that sums up the messed up scene at the top of the ladder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    A disappointing episode of RAW - and largely thanks to the laziness of the booking, in terms of the Fatal 5-Way. As ever, RAW started with a tired formula: somebody cuts a promo, competitor interrupts. That led to a singles match between Bray Wyatt and Roman Reigns to open the show, before Samoa Joe interrupted and was chased from the ring by Seth Rollins, setting up a main event for later in the night (predictably). It seems WWE will stick with this tired-and-tested formula for the weeks leading up to Extreme Rules. The babyfaces teased dissension in the main event, with a mix-up between them allowing Joe to claim the win via a Rollins submission. Backstage, Kurt Angle announced Finn Balor vs. Samoa Joe vs. Bray Wyatt and Seth Rollins vs. Roman Reigns for next week's show.

Speaking of Balor, he was at the centre of my favourite segment of the night, when he went head-to-head with Paul Heyman on the mic. Heyman put over Balor like nobody else could, describing him the best talent in WWE today. Balor's my tip to win the Fatal 5-Way, personally. I think it makes sense to allow Reigns to feud with an out-and-out heel - either Joe or the Miz - and WWE will want to save Lesnar vs Reigns for WM34. Rollins is a dark horse, but seems destined for a feud with Wyatt, while I can't see Joe winning because the heel vs heel dynamic will be too awkward. Balor held his own on the mic during a great segment, and then scored a decisive win over Karl Anderson, who is obviously a great friend of Balor in real life (hence the great chemistry they showed).

Despite Balor shining, there were plenty of lowlights last night: Sasha Banks' nonsensical booking continues, beating Alicia Fox when she should be doing much better things (a programme with Nia Jax, Mickie James, anybody!). Banks slapped Noam Dar after the bout. In terms of other low-rung matches, Akira Tozawa beat Ariya Daivari in a swift cruiserweight bout, with The Brian Kendrick on commentary hyping their Street Fight clash on 205 Live tonight. We also saw Austin Aries beat Tony Nese, after the revelation his match with Neville at Extreme Rules will be a Submission bout. Neville slapped on his lock on Nese to close out the segment, and things will be intriguing going forward between these pair. If Neville is to lose the belt to Aries, it makes ZERO sense for him to tap out. He's the best thing in the cruiserweight division and needs to be kept strong.

We also saw the continuation of the Hardy Boyz' momentum, with Matt beating Sheamus. After the match, it was revealed their match against Sheamus and Cesaro at Extreme Rules will be a Steel Cage match. Elsewhere, we saw Elias Samson made his in-ring debut against Dean Ambrose, with the Miz on commentary. It was an odd ending, with Miz attacking Samson to draw the disqualification before the heels beat down the babyface. That hints to an alignment between the duo, but what purpose that serves, I'm not sure. In terms of other in-ring action, Kalisto scored an upset win over Apollo Crews after Titus O'Neil's constant berating from ringside cost him. That hints that Crews could either lay out O'Neil further down the line, cementing his babyface (and bland, boring status), or he could be converted to displaying dastardly deeds and more heel traits to score victories. The only other match of the night was Alexa Bliss beating Mickie James in a very ugly bout, with a botched finish, before Bayley hit the ring and chased the heel away with a Kendo Stick.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.