Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    So at SS, Braun wins the strap by pinning Joe and Lesnar goes for a UFC sojourn before returning at Mania next year?

If they wanted to do Reigns v Brock II at Mania with the latter the champion, he'd have to win the title again. I can't imagine fans getting behind Reigns if he's champion heading into Mania defending v Brock. Unless plans have changed.

Brock v Jones will be the mega-buster fight for the UFC but if Jones, who is an experienced MMA performer (not an expert by any means) handles Brock very easily then I don't think there'll be massive benefits for the WWE to gain. If he beats Jones though...then he'll play off WWE/UFC against each other for the most money and I wouldn't blame him if he was to beat a guy in Jones who is undefeated in his last 14 fights and is considered as a GOAT in the UFC
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Shinsuke Nakamura just beat John Cena on SmackDown. Where that leaves Cena for Summerslam is unclear, owing to the fact he's heading to RAW after the PPV. The two absolutely shone in the main event. They were given roughly 15 minutes and seemed to be loving it. Nakamura looked like a star and was more importantly booked like one. I can't see him having the belt - if he beats Jinder Mahal at Summerslam - Baron Corbin will surely cash in, but this was the best he has looked since his callup from NXT and that can only be a good thing.

Kevin Owens and AJ Styles put on a terrific bout to start the night, full of twists and turns and false finishes. The action was great and the ending beautifully crafted. There was just the right amount of controversy to continue the feud going forward without annoying the fanbase. Owens will get his rematch again at Summerslam, with Shane McMahon as the special guest referee. WWE is clearly geared up for a Shane vs Owens feud - and I'd welcome that. Seeing Shane wrestle always seems like a big deal and his matches in recent years have been excellent. He feels like a big game player and trusting Owens in a spot with him shows the company trusts him and values him highly, despite that poor run with the Universal Championship earlier this year. There were bad points to the show too, of course.

Sami Zayn lost to Aidan English - yes, really - in a continuation of his undervalued, poor booking, before Mike and Maria Kanellis laughed at his defeat on the ramp, hinting at a continuation of the feud.

We also saw Randy Orton vs Rusev booked for Summerslam, but it has come out of nowhere with no build, and despite featuring two stars we've rarely seen clash, seems a placeholder. I hope Rusev isn't fed to Orton but I can't see anything else happening. He delivered an RKO after answering Rusev's demand for competition last night, following his victory in a fun match over Chad Gable.

We saw Naomi and Becky Lynch defeat Natalya and Carmella in a run of the mill tag team bout, with the latter taking the loss and causing frustration for Natalya. If the two heels show more frostiness in the coming days and weeks, expect Natalya to win the belt off Naomi and have her moment spoiled by Miss Money In The Bank. 

On 205 Live, The Brian Kendrick opened the show with another promo on Jack Gallagher, after one of the worst segments in recent memory last week. The latter got disqualified in the match which followed, showing aggression and changing his character to display a nastier, meaner streak. We also saw Gran Metalik return - months after injury - and lose to Tony Nese in a fantastic match. The pace and back and forth nature was excellently crafted by the pair. Akira Tozawa and Daivari clashed the main event for a No 1 contender shot at the Cruiserweight Championship at SummerSlam. The babyface won after bravely battling through his injured shoulder to claim the victory.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I thought last week's RAW was a solid episode, but this week's seems a bit of a placeholder. A lot of the segments treaded water pre-Summerslam, perhaps understandable considering the lengthy build from Great Balls of Fire to the next PPV. The night peaked during the opening and closing segments: Brock Lesnar and Paul Heyman clashing with the Miz and his Miztourage, Curtis Axel and Bo Dallas, in MizTV to open the show, before Lesnar delivered a beat down to all three. I've never seen the Miz/Heyman clash on the mic, so that was a real treat, and the main event - Braun Strowman beating Roman Reigns, via interference from Samoa Joe - in a Last Man Standing Match, was excellent too. It was a PPV worthy bout and it's smart of WWE to showcase each man before Summerslam.

The Lesnar/Miz clash meant Axel was written off TV for the night, meaning Jason Jordan faced some jobber instead. We saw flashes oh previously unseen aggression from Jordan, who ran over the jobber, and smirked as the crowd booed him. That's smart booking and adds character development to a babyface struggling at this stage. WWE is wise to keep Jordan away from the mic, too. His recent interviews, with Renee Young and the Miz on MizTV, have made him seem like a rabbit in the headlights.

We saw Nia Jax and Sasha Banks win Triple Threat matches for the right to face off next week, in a bid to find Alexa Bliss' Summerslam opponent. I wouldn't be surprised in a dirty finish next week, so a Triple Threat can be booked at the PPv. Jax beat Mickie James and Dana Brooke, after Banks bested Emma and Alicia Fox. Bayley has been ruled out of Summerslam, through injury, as have Dash and Dawson, which is a massive blow to them considering they've only just returned to programming.

There were plenty of missteps last night I felt - namely the Big Show and Enzo Amore losing to The Club, Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows, in a tag team bout. Big Cass interrupted proceedings and was laid flat by Show for the second week in a row, which is hardly smart booking considering WWE needs to portray him as a monster. The tag bout itself was straightforward and nothing special - the Club seem to have ditched their teased babyface turn from a few weeks ago - and Cass being dominated made no sense. Enzo/Cass need something new to do at this stage, I feel. The feud was hot a month ago but there's only so many times we can see the same segment week in, week out. It's a bit like the Dean Ambrose vs Miz feud now, in the fact it has clearly outstayed its welcome. Enzo is reportedly struggling backstage, too, and surely he'll be demoted to 205 Live when this is all said an done - if not NXT.

Speaking of Ambrose, we saw him fail to come to the rescue as Seth Rollins was beaten down by Sheamus and Cesaro, following his loss to the former in the opening bout. Later in the night, Ambrose beat Cesaro, and made it clear he was keen to reunite with his former Shield brother when Rollins headed down to the ring, only for the two to delay their reunion further. WWE is going all-in on the storyline and I'm so invested. I absolutely love its depth and the characterisation of both these men.

It was much better than the Finn Balor/Bray Wyatt segment, which saw the former tease his supernatural abilities, and the latter cut his usual promo which ends in his farcical laughing. I'm just not fully invested in this feud, despite being a fan of both guys, and it needs work - and maybe some physicality next week. Balor needs to return to his Demon character for the match vs Wyatt, but perhaps further down the line. It's a special gimmick and we shouldn't want WWE to rush it, but the supernatural aura of the feud makes perfect sense for the Demon character to return, imho. Oh, and we also saw Akira Tozawa beat Daivari in a quick cruiserweight showcase, which was entirely pointless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    So at SS, Braun wins the strap by pinning Joe and Lesnar goes for a UFC sojourn before returning at Mania next year?

If they wanted to do Reigns v Brock II at Mania with the latter the champion, he'd have to win the title again. I can't imagine fans getting behind Reigns if he's champion heading into Mania defending v Brock. Unless plans have changed.

Brock v Jones will be the mega-buster fight for the UFC but if Jones, who is an experienced MMA performer (not an expert by any means) handles Brock very easily then I don't think there'll be massive benefits for the WWE to gain. If he beats Jones though...then he'll play off WWE/UFC against each other for the most money and I wouldn't blame him if he was to beat a guy in Jones who is undefeated in his last 14 fights and is considered as a GOAT in the UFC
    I don't know if WWE cares about the fans getting behind Reigns. They already tried everything, and nowadays kayfabe is different and there are only a few heels and faces, rather than everyone being one or the other.

WWE have been trying to remove Brock's invincibility a little bit. If he's a beast in UFC, they get some of his exposure and fame. If he loses or looks lame, he might stay with WWE more, and he'll be more beatable.

ReputationRep:
    Reigns is great - genuinely look forward to his matches now that he's not always playing underdog babyface
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The Jinder Mahal title reign has been an absolute dud. I knew it would be bad, but Christ, it's been even worse than I imagined. Losing clean on TV just two weeks before the biggest match of your career isn't promising - and that's what happened last night, when Randy Orton beat him. Rusev laid out Orton to close the broadcast, but nobody seriously believes he'll go over at Summerslam. Similarly, the Shinsuke Nakamura win over Mahal at the PPV needs to happen. It would damage the former's credibility if it doesn't. Mahal isn't even being given mic time now, because his promos are largely the same and uninspiring, drawing little to no heat from the crowd. Nakamura featured in a decent backstage interview with Renee Young last night, to preview the upcoming bout. Having these two clash on the mic is simply a no-go, so WWE needs to rely on physicality next week.

The thing is, I'm not sure a Baron Corbin cash-in and subsequent title reign would be any better. He interrupted John Cena's opening promo last night, with new entrance music, but it was an uninspiring clash on the mic and just felt false. There doesn't seem to be any true animosity between these pair, but regardless, they'll face off at Summerslam. I don't think Corbin's anywhere near ready. He's definitely the more inferior of the two MITB briefcase holders, with Carmella winning last night over Naomi, thanks to the returning James Ellsworth. That adds depth to the women division going forward, with Ellsworth a decent spectre to have hanging over the female competitors' heads. I don't think she'll cash in soon, though. Her run with the briefcase is reminding me of Seth Rollins' back in 2014. She's better carrying the briefcase for a while, so the pay-off when she cashes-in (successfully, inevitably) is maximised.

We also saw Lana lose to Charlotte - but her character development is intriguing. I sympathised for her last night, given the fact she lost after showing aggression. WWE may be wise transitioning her into a babyface going forward, really. We also saw the Fashion Files - or Fashion Peaks - and the return of Fandango, but the lack of a pay-off in this mystery storyline is starting to bug me. WWE is clearly delaying the reveal because it has no clue who the attacker is, either, but I hope the ending lives up to expectations. Tyler Breeze is one of the most entertaining people on the roster. And speaking of entertaining, I felt Tye Dillinger and Sami Zayn showed great teamwork when facing the Usos, who picked up a win, before the New Day attacked. Both Dillinger and Zayn are in the creative wilderness, and throwing them together to add depth to the tag division - before a split down the line - may be sensible. Some of my favourite tag-teams over the years have been thrown together: Edge and Rey Mysterio, Kurt Angle and Chris Benoit, Booker T and Goldust etc.

My personal favourite segment of the night came when Shane O Mac, AJ Styles and Kevin Owens clashed on the mic. It was a fantastic segment, full of interesting sly glances at the crowd - plenty of references to Canada, the Montreal Screwjob etc - and it was interesting to see Styles get physical with Shane, albeit unintentionally. Owens was a star on the mic, and carried the segment, but the clash between Shane and AJ adds an intrigue and depth to the match going into Summerslam. According to rumours on the dirt sheets, a Team Shane vs Team Owens match is planned for Survivor Series.

On 205 Live, we saw Tony Nese beat Cedric Alexander in the opening bout, before the match of the night came in the form of TJP's victory over Rich Swann in the main event. This was second only to Roman Reigns vs Braun Strowman on RAW in terms of the best matches on WWE programming this week. It was absolutely superb. Both gave their all, with high energy and plenty of high spots. The two crafted the match and told the story of it really well, after Noam Dar defeated a jobber in his return to TV - for me, he's really entertaining and deserves to be showcased as the second heel on the cruiserweight roster. We also saw Akira Tozawa and Neville clash on the mic, with Corey Graves overseeing the segment, before Summerslam. The champion was sent scurrying by the babyface. Jack Gallagher also attacked The Brian Kendrick during a backstage interview at one stage.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like unless SummerSlam is really great I'm cancelling the network and paying for NJPWWorld
    I can't watch Okada vs Omega on the Network
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WWEaboo)
    Looks like unless SummerSlam is really great I'm cancelling the network and paying for NJPWWorld
    But you can't see Jason Jordan vs. Jean-Pierre Goule at the G1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    But you can't see Jason Jordan vs. Jean-Pierre Goule at the G1.
    True.
    Although I do genuinely think Jordan is a fantastic worker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WWEaboo)
    So far I've had about half a year of Network subscription but haven't paid anything. They like to give it out free.

ReputationRep:
    Has there ever been a Summerslam card which has ever looked so weak on paper than this years card?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael3C)
    Has there ever been a Summerslam card which has ever looked so weak on paper than this years card?
    2007 imho.

Triple H vs Booker T.
    The Great Khali vs Batista.
    Umaga, Mr Kennedy, Carlito in a Triple Threat.
    Kane vs Finlay.

ReputationRep:
    lol this has the best main event in years
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    lol this has the best main event in years
    Tbf, I was actually more pumped for the Nexus main event - but look how that turned out.

EDIT: ****. Just realised that was 7 years ago. Seven. That's insane.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    WWE giving us plenty of Summerslam-worthy moments on RAW last night, not least Akira Tozawa's de-throning of Neville. Now, I'm a fan of Tozawa - but admittedly, I'd rather Cedric Alexander have got a push to win the belt - but having Neville drop the championship on a Monday night after the reign he has had is just ridiculous, in my view. WWE appears to try and give fans more moments on RAW/SmackDown than the PPVs these days, and it's all due to the Network. No doubt they value TV ratings over subscribers these days, because the subscribers have paid their monthly fee regardless.

We also saw Finn Balor vs Bray Wyatt given away for free last night, with the latter earning the victory and pouring a bucket of red contents onto Balor to end the segment after Kurt Angle booked the match following a backstage brawl. Balor then revealed backstage he would be bringing out The Demon during their rematch at Summerslam - a smart move from WWE, and one that makes complete natural sense given the supernatural nature of the gimmick. Unfortunately, the Big Show/Big Cass match is severely lacking hype - and we saw Cass break Show's hand last night, with help from the Club, Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows (who, tbh, I have no idea why they were involved).

In terms of the women's division, Sasha Banks - as expected - beat Nia Jax to become No 1 Contender to Alexa Bliss' WWE RAW Women's Championship. I'm not sure anybody expected any different, did they? The poor booking of Emma continues, though, unfortunately. She was thrown in a singles bout with Mickie James last night, which she duly lost. I'm really disappointed by WWE's handling of Emma. I think she's fantastic in the ring and can cut a good promo. She's a decent talker and can definitely add something to the upper end of the women's division on the red brand.

This all came after Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins reunited with a Shield fist bump in the opening segment, after the two clashed and brawled to kick off the show. Sheamus/Cesaro tried to ambush them before the duo retaliated and finally settled their differences, eliciting a huge pop. I think they'll probably win the titles this weekend, given the fact Sheamus/Cesaro are due to take time off, owing to the former shooting a movie for WWE Studious. The natural narrative here would be to have Ambrose/Rollins carry the straps for a while, ending in an Ambrose heel turn - which will not only revitalise him, but will also cement Rollins' reputation as a babyface, which has been hard to buy up until now.

We had a couple of missteps - Elias Samson seemingly being thrown into a feud with R-Truth, after he laid him with a beatdown - and the Miztourage facing the Hardy Boyz and Jason Jordan. This match would have been fine without Jordan being shoehorned in. The guy isn't over - anywhere near over - and having the Hardyz have to team with him does him no favours. Jordan is such a natural heel in this gimmick - and WWE needs to embrace that. The babyfaces got the win, but WWE needs to think long and hard about Jordan going forward. If I was on Creative, it goes one of two ways: have Jordan turn heel and reveal it was all a ruse to get ahead, and he isn't actually Kurt Angle's son, or turn Kurt heel with Jason, and have him act as Coach Angle and accompany Jason to matches, helping him win over babyfaces etc.

To end the show, the four hosses going toe-to-toe at Summerslam - Brock Lesnar, Samoa Joe, Braun Strowman and Roman Reigns - all clashed in the ring. Paul Heyman kicked off the final segment with a decent promo, before Joe was taken out by Reigns and Strowman then floored Roman. The segment ended with security holding back Lesnar and Strowman, who teased a mouth-watering clash by staring off. There is so much money in that match going forward.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously Mackay, who in the **** is going to read that?

ReputationRep:
    PAHAHAHA, apparently Corbin cashed in and lost.

I've no idea why they were so hard on him, or why everyone talked him up. He's not scary, he's too kinda dorky, but most of all he's boring. And people were talking about him facing Undertaker at WM? Come on...

EDIT

Apparently according to ElementGames on Youtube, there's a big debutant(e) to WWE 2K18 set to be revealed on Friday which will be "Mindblowing". I don't know if Owen Hart qualifies as that, so I'm saying Ronda Rousey.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Baron Corbin, what are you doing? That seems like a real indictment of how WWE feels about him at the moment. He's hardly thrived with or without the briefcase, and he's really struggling for momentum. He becomes the first since Damien Sandow to unsuccessfully cash-in, and to be honest, I think the SmackDown main event scene is a right mess. John Cena is a threat - and duly beat Jinder Mahal last night in the main event - but he's departing to RAW soon. We saw Mahal kick off the show with another run-of-the-mill, pedestrian promo. He's just not enthralling in the ring or on the mic.

Shinsuke Nakamura interrupted him, but it felt forced - these two have no real animosity with each other - and the way Corbin was made to look like a chump at the end of the show vs Mahal hardly elevates him, either. I wouldn't be surprised to see Corbin go on a tear vs Cena this weekend, but again, John is going to RAW - and he won't be going off the back of a loss, surely? WWE is ruining Corbin, Mahal and Nakamura all at the same time.

Much better is the US Championship feud, which saw AJ Styles and Kevin Owens preview their Summerslam match with Shane O'Mac in the ring last night. McMahon was superkicked by Owens to end the segment, adding plenty of layers to the feud before Sunday after the pair have had some disappointing PPV matches. There was some good in-ring action last night - The New Day beat the Usos, which made no sense given the fact we're getting that bout on Sunday too (it follows RAW giving us Finn Balor vs Bray Wyatt and Akira Tozawa vs Nevilel last night) and we saw Natalya force Becky Lynch to submit, with Naomi on commentary, and Carmella ending the segment hinting she'll cash-in on whoever wins Sunday.

Unfortunately, the final Fashion Files felt like a bit of a misstep - it wasn't one of Tyler Breeze and Fandango's most sterling efforts - but I was really impressed by Rusev. Sure, he ate an RKO, but he looked like an absolute monster in running over Chad Gable. Randy Orton got the better hand, but last night made me much more excited for these two to go at it. WWE has done a poor job building the main event scene, but considering I was complaining of seeing Orton vs Rusev a few weeks ago, they've taken the ball and ran with it and it's paying off.

On 205 Live, we saw Neville - who looked really rough (he's selling his championship loss so well) - interrupt Tozawa's championship celebration, getting forced into retreat to close the show, after TJP's entrance music distracted Rich Swann, costing him his match vs Daivari. Their feud looks set to continue, as does Jack Gallagher and The Brian Kendrick's. The pair will compete in a "Duel Match" next week - whatever that is - after Jack caused a DQ last night by attacking Kendrick during his match with Mustapha Ali. In the opening bout, Gran Metalik and Cedric Alexander teamed in a fun, high-octane start to the show, beating the heel duo of Tony Nese and Drew Gulak.

ReputationRep:
    That's ok just spam the thread it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    If Rousey is in 2k18 then I'm pretty sure she'll be around for WM and fight Charlotte. Can't really see anyone else fighting Rousey and it stays believable. They also need to compensate for the lack of Undertaker, as that is usually always a main event match.

And yeah Mackay I'm sure your posts are informative but I'm not sure of anyone is reading them
    It's also kinda spam and I feel like less people are actually going to open the thread because they'll probably just assume it's another recap, and not some actual discussion - however rare that is now.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 13, 2017
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.