Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

The WWE Society II Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    If Rousey is in 2k18 then I'm pretty sure she'll be around for WM and fight Charlotte. Can't really see anyone else fighting Rousey and it stays believable. They also need to compensate for the lack of Undertaker, as that is usually always a main event match.
    4 horsewomen v 4 horsewomen I would like to see as long as it's not a stupid 2-minute thing. They kinda teased it already and two of the UFC ones have been in WWE now. Plus WWE seem to have no idea what to do with Bayley, Charlotte and Sasha while trying to avoid using Becky too much in the SD title picture now, since she's been pretty much carrying the division for the whole year.

Also hoping for a surprise 'shoot' Becky/Cyborg altercation at SummerSlam.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Major backstage heat on Corbin, according to the dirt sheets. We've seen Vince sour on MITB winners before, obviously, but apparently the company is unhappy with Corbin blocking WWE employees on Twitter and having public social media spats with the likes of Meltzer.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Neville wins back the cruiserweight title on the pre-show, then. So, what was the point in Monday night? Neville was excellent on Tuesday, looking haggard and hinting at a new darkness, and he was exceptional on the NXT pre-show yesterday. It was a decent bout vs Akira Tozawa tonight, but I'm baffled by the result. Neville had held it for more than six months and it has been wasted with hot potato-ing the strap. Neville saw off Austin Aries, Rich Swann, Jack Gallagher, TJP. Now what?

In the other pre-show match, the Miztourage picked up a win vs Jason Jordan and the Hardy Boyz in an incredibly dull opener, with little crowd in the arena.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ****, rather than reel it in he's doing it for the ****ing pre-shows now.

ReputationRep:
    Cena v Corbin will be really interesting. Well, quality-wise it'll be ****, but this is exactly the match that Corbin needs to win and Cena should be putting someone over with, especially near the end of his career and as a part-timer. But Cena has a horrendous record of killing every rising heel's heat.

Similarly, I would say Bray needs to win, but he's needed a win for years. His character's been assassinated. More likely Finn wins and goes up against whoever wins the title, as the former champ who never got his shot. Heck, Brock might retain then get challenged by Finn for a TV match, meaning Brock doesn't "leave WWE for good" while still losing the title.

Also hoping for some 4 Horsewomen/UFC shenanigans. Becky and the rest are at SummerSlam despite suspiciously no SummerSlam match for either Becky or Charlotte this year.

ReputationRep:
    Match of the night thus far was the pre show tag match and even that didn't eclipse their match at Battleground. Close contender was Sasha vs Alexa. Sasha being women's champion is the best part of the show so far.

Summerslam doesn't stand a chance at topping Takeover last night which was the first takeover I've watched and the best wrestling show I've watched since I can remember. It just shows WWE's philosophy of super-serving content is wrong, shorter ppvs with high quality matches from start to finish is the way forward. Yet people would complain about talents not making it on the show so you can't win

This is probably a one match like last year's summerslam as I only watched in anticipation for the main event
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Match of the night was undoubtedly the main event or the New Day vs the Usos for me. The rate at which WWE exchanges its titles is just absolutely mind-numbing, though. I'm not sure why we need a Natalya title reign, but we've got one, and the hot potato-ing of the SmackDown tag-team championships devalues the great work the New Day/the Usos are doing. They put on such a good match on the pre-show - and deservedly got a "This is awesome" chant. I know that it can't be good being on the pre-show, but there undoubtedly are positives: you get plenty of more time to play with, for a start. The red brand straps changing hands is absolutely the right decision, Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins relinquishing Sheamus/Cesaro in another stellar bout. But the Natalya decision is odd to me. Presumably, they're set to re-elevate Charlotte into the title scene for a feud which will undoubtedly be tinged with Hart/Flair connotations. I felt Naomi had further to go, though. Hopefully Asuka is getting called up soon, after she beat Ember Moon at TakeOver.

The John Cena vs Baron Corbin and Randy Orton vs Rusev were the biggest letdowns of the night. The former was a ridiculous match: Cena wasn't serious or determined or full of raging fire like he sometimes is, he was just playing the role of jokey Cena. That suggests to me the locker room and Creative are not high on Corbin, and his losing his Money In The Bank briefcase was punishment. Now, fair enough, he may be a nightmare to work with and he may deserve that. I've never been high on him. But having him lose comprehensively last night - admittedly not as comprehensively as Rusev, though, who is being utterly wasted and ate a pin inside a minute to Orton - seems like a burial.

I wasn't too hot on the Enzo/Big Cass/Big Show feud, either. The match seemed a waste of time, offering nothing new, but the result was the right outcome. Sasha Banks and Alexa Bliss put on a terrific match, too, but again, the exchange of the title on a show with so many changes felt less special. The pair have heat in real life and it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I'd like Nia Jax to serve as Bliss' muscle for a bit, and WWE needs to give Bayley a complete reboot. She was BOOED at TakeOver in front of an NXT crowd ffs.

After all those title changes, it was obvious Brock Lesnar was going over - especially considering the pre-match betting shifts all hinted to that, too. He is advertised for No Mercy next month and the obvious bout heading out of Summerslam is Lesnar vs Braun Strowman, who was the star of the night. Both Roman Reigns - who surprisingly took the pin - and Samoa Joe looked strong, but Lesnar needs a singles feud now in my view. The hosses put on a brilliant main event, though, and are rightly getting praise.

The key SmackDown matches left me with mixed feelings. I'd have loved Shinsuke Nakamura to go over, but maybe it's too soon. I'm no fan of Jinder Mahal's title reign but having him beat Randy Orton three times only to lose to Nakamura at the first hurdle is a waste of three months. In that sense, I understand him taking the first victory of the feud - with help from the Singh Bros - if it gives WWE a chance to build Shinsuke more. The AJ Styles/Kevin Owens bout was just absolutely superb. They were terrific, putting on a masterclass in psychology. It's obvious we're set for a Shane McMahon vs Owens feud - apparently with Team Shane vs Team Owens at Survivor Series - but that made this match no elss great, even if the ending was telegraphed.

Arguably the high point of the night came with the pre-show, which despite being two hours long, didn't feel wasted. We saw two excellent bouts and one underwhelming TV-worthy one. We also saw plenty of fun moments - Ambrose/Rollins in the social media lounge, Carmella's interview, Elias' song, and WWE did a very good job with it. The Finn Balor vs Bray Wyatt match saw the return of the Demon, who obviously won, in the most easy match of the night to predict. Wyatt eats another clean loss on PPV, unfortunately, which was to be expected.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who actually wants a discussion instead of arrogantly spamming threads, feel free to join in and share real opinions succinctly with me and other WWE thread chums. We're still here.

(Original post by Hirsty97)
    Match of the night thus far was the pre show tag match and even that didn't eclipse their match at Battleground. Close contender was Sasha vs Alexa. Sasha being women's champion is the best part of the show so far.

Summerslam doesn't stand a chance at topping Takeover last night which was the first takeover I've watched and the best wrestling show I've watched since I can remember. It just shows WWE's philosophy of super-serving content is wrong, shorter ppvs with high quality matches from start to finish is the way forward. Yet people would complain about talents not making it on the show so you can't win

This is probably a one match like last year's summerslam as I only watched in anticipation for the main event
    What you're seeing is how it usually goes. Pre-show matches are usually one or two of the best matches of the night, and Takeover is generally rated better than the PPV after it, even when it's WrestleMania.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    This TakeOver was definitely better than the last. Drew McIntyre vs Adam Cole will have indie fans really happy, and Black looked like a star again. ReDragon vs Sanity is a great feud going forward, too. The rumour sites say Bobby Roode, Hideo Itami are among those going to be called up soon. Apparently WWE is high on Roode and sees him in the top five of whichever brand he is in.

ReputationRep:

what a unit
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Braun Strowman vs Brock Lesnar for No Mercy, then. That's unquestionably the right decision - and we were teased that Strowman had Lesnar's number once again last night on RAW, after he stood tall and laid Lesnar flat after the opening segment. Where that leaves Samoa Joe and Roman Reigns is unclear, but you'd imagine the pair will now square off in a singles feud. The arrival of John Cena muddies things slightly, though. Cena debuted on RAW last night and teamed with Reigns in a winning effort vs the Miz and Joe in the main event. WWE is clearly geared up for a Cena vs Reigns feud - and, considering all signs point to Reigns vs Lesnar at WM next year - that feud needs to start sooner rather than later, you would expect.

Having the Miz shoehorned into the main event elevates him slightly, because he's one of the best out-and-out heels on the show and didn't deserve to open the curtain in front of a sparse crowd on Sunday. I really, really don't want to see the Miz vs Cena going forward, though, so hopefully this was just a one night only thing while WWE creates a legitimate challenger for the Intercontinental Championship. It doesn't look like it's going to be Jason Jordan, who took on Finn Balor on Monday. Balor is directionless now his feud with Bray Wyatt is done, and I'd like to see him transferred to SmackDown if a superstar shake-up is coming. WWE is seemingly trying to create some sympathy for Jordan by casting him like Chad Gable on SmackDown, having him go up against the best on the roster and running them close.

We saw a couple of redundant matches on Monday night - Mustapha Ali, Gran Metalik, Rich Swann and Cedric Alexander beating Drew Gulak, Tony Nese, Noam Dar and Daivari in an eight-man tag-team cruiserweight match, the epitome of lazy booking, with no storylines involved, and also Nia Jax's squash of Emma, whose treatment at the hands of Creative is nothing short of baffling now. She's such a good wrestler and deserves much, much more. I didn't really care for the Elias squash of R-Truth, either, but his songs are absolutely on point and he's drawing real heat, so I take my hat off to him.

The best match of the night aside from the main event was undoubtedly Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins teaming up to beat the Hardy Boyz, in a really fun, frenetic bout which showcased both babyface teams. Ambrose/Rollins have a severe lack of challengers now the Revival are injured and The Club have been too long booked weak and like a joke. A Hardyz feud makes sense for them, unless a superstar shake-up is coming and we see somebody like the Authors of Pain debut. Sheamus/Cesaro will be off TV for a few weeks while the former films a new movie for WWE Studios.

We also saw Big Cass legitimately injure himself during a bout vs Enzo Amore, but where that leaves both of them going forward, I have no idea of. Sasha Banks addressed her title win vs Alexa Bliss, and was interrupted by the heel, who correctly said Banks has never defended her title and demanded a rematch after her Summerslam loss, which will take place next week on RAW.

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely be pro-Roman if it was in a feud with Cena.

Maybe a change in plans for Mania - surely a feud between Cena-Reigns would be WM worthy rather than a No Mercy?

The use of a Twitter exchange to start things off is neat but Kurt announcing a special guest which happens to be Cena who then calls out Reigns is conspicuous.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Im rarely on here, but shall share a few thoughts/opinions from Barclays week so far.

I really enjoyed Takeover but have yet to see Womens or NXT Title matches

Pros: Sanity looked great, havent watched much of these but watching Damo at WCPW last year I knew he was gonna be great. Few close calls and i didnt believe they would beat AoP. Happy with the result but hope AoP dont get called up just yet, I personally cant see them doing well on main roster.

Aleister Black is fantastic. I havent seen any of his work either so watched with an open mind and you cant take your eyes off him, never sure what he will do next. PS who thought someone could make looking like youre sitting in a Primary School assembly look so cool?

Cons:

Johnny Gargano I worry will never make it past NXT, he is very popular and was very good to watch but with the crowd NXT brings with it compared to the main roster I dont think he will have a better time on main roster if he does get called up one day (though the Ciampa feud has yet to play out so that will be a while)

Hideo Itami I assume has turned heel due to frustrating injuries? Not really impressed with him, sometimes this match seemed a bit sloppy with the kicks and attacks both men did.

Summerslam

A few matches on the card felt pretty rushed or just there for the sake of it (Rusev/Orton, Nakamura/Mahal) not much heat going into some matches.

Usos/New Day was very good, though Ive seen more than enough of each team especially on opposite sides of the ring together.

Surprised to see Neville win his Championship belt back, the only logical reasons for Tozawa winning on monday would be for surprise element on Raw (isnt that thing better for 205 live though?) and to stop Nevilles reign getting TOO long incase they want a new superstar to over take in the future

Baron losing his Briefcase and losing to Cena where he definitely had a chance to go over is WWE pulling the plug imo. Someone somehow has now got cold feet over Baron Corbyn. His twitter spats are rumoured to upset officials but these things cant always be believed.

Happy to see Natalya finally win a championship as one of the few Superstars/Divas who can do good things for the womens division even through the tough times of 2013/4/5

Rusev seems to be in the same boat as Corbyn, rumours again the Bulgarian Brute is unhappy with booking but I take these rumours very lightly into consideration.

Cass/Show i couldnt really care about. I have a photo of a BIG ASS titantron so theres my entertainment.

Happy to see Sasha win but not happy with her mixed responses lately. Barclays Centre crowd was terrible imo.

Balor wins of course. the Demon return should NOT have been so openly announced, Finn hinted on Raw last week and that was enough for fans to get hyped.

Happy to see Rollins/Ambrose win, very feel good moment after watching Ambrose getting frustratingly pummelled by The Bar. Probably the 2nd best match going into SummerSlam.

Happy AJ retained, a few close calls here hopefully AJ can move on from Owens. I do miss the Face of America titantron though, it was so detailed and glorious.

Jinder won I dont hate Jinder but it really puts a big downer on the Smackdown brand for me. Nakamura however wasnt ready

Great fatal 4 way, LOVED watching Lesnar get beat up for once from BRAUUUUN. I knew as soon as the doctors/stretchers arrived he would return and retain. And the fact he was advertised for several events after SS and contract runs out after WM 34.

Overall an above average show but watching live the only matches that had me watching was AJ/Owens, Bar/Shield Nakamura/Mahal and 4 Way, the rest was hard to stay awake for, but you can blame my fatigue for that!

Didnt watch any Raw matches just segments, happy to see Strowman dominate again but it unfortunately will lead to a loss.Not much else interesting happened, apart from the Hardys getting a lot more broken.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm no fan of Jinder or Corbin, but the worst thing on WWE television right now is Booker T. His commentary is absolutely woeful and he makes a fool of himself every single Monday. The comments last night about John Cena making it despite having mediocre ability were just bizarre. I'm all for heel commentators, but they need to add something to the action on the screen and help the wrestlers tell a story, something Michael Cole has improved greatly at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    I'm no fan of Jinder or Corbin, but the worst thing on WWE television right now is Booker T. His commentary is absolutely woeful and he makes a fool of himself every single Monday.
    Pot kettle black.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The Glorious One is on SmackDown. I've felt SmackDown has been underwhelming in recent weeks, largely thanks to RAW's progression and a blossoming main event scene on Monday nights, but last night's episode was a step back in the right direction. Bobby Roode will be a brilliant addition to the blue brand, and he duly beat Aiden English in swift fashion during his debut match. I'd have actually preferred him to beat a face - maybe Tye Dillinger, Mojo Rawley or somebody - but it was a good introduction nonetheless.

That came after a strong opening segment which saw AJ Styles/Kevin Owens/Shane McMahon tease more tension. Owens was given one last chance vs Styles - and Shane even gave him the chance to pick his own referee. The tension between the trio was palpable and it was a brilliant start to Tuesday's episode, cleverly focusing on the hottest feud on the SmackDown roster. Owens tried to approach Sami Zayn, who refused, before settling on Baron Corbin as ref. The main event match itself was as you'd expect - Corbin was relinquished of his duties by Shane O'Mac, who oversaw yet another Styles win. We're clearly headed for an Owens vs McMahon feud now - one that may last months - and I'm really up for a Team Owens vs Team Shane match at Survivor Series.

We also saw Dolph Ziggler return in a backstage segment and cut a Miz-like promo, full of meta references and sly glances to things the IWC is talking about, but more noticeable was the return of Shelton Benjamin, who will partner Chad Gable in a tag team going forward. The other matches saw Naomi and Becky Lynch tag to beat Natalya and Carmella, who lost after some misunderstanding between the heels which saw Carmella tagged in but refuse to wrestle. There was another tag match - the Usos beating the Hype Bros before calling out the entire tag team roster - and a 2-on-1 Handicap Match which saw Shinsuke Nakamura beat the Singh Brothers before Jinder Mahal left him lying. It was a solid show, with plenty of noticeable, newsworthy moments, and decent-to-good matches.

On 205 Live, Drew Gulak and Tony Nese teamed to lose to Cedric Alexander and Gran Metalik in what was essentially a rematch from last week. These four were all featured on RAW during the eight-man tag-team bout last night, but this was as you'd expect: fun and fast-paced, with plenty of high spots and minimal character progression. Then, The Brian Kendrick beat down Jack Gallagher in a Gentleman's Duel before proposing a No DQ match next week, in a segment which was brilliant and furthering the development of these two's animosity. Neville retained his belt vs Akira Tozawa in the main event, in what was essentially the third time we've seen this exact same match this week. Hopefully Neville moves onto something new now, but I have a feeling we're set for something underwhelming: to close the show, Enzo Amore emerged and declared himself a part of the 205 Live roster, eyeing Neville's title. Amore is a liability in the ring, and him vs Neville is not something I want to see.

ReputationRep:
    Genuinely fell asleep during Summerslam. So boring.
    Looks like I'm cancelling the network and going to New Japan world instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WWEaboo)
    Genuinely fell asleep during Summerslam. So boring.
    Looks like I'm cancelling the network and going to New Japan world instead.
    From the looks of it, it looked very much like a B-PPV. Like a Roadblock or Great Balls of Fire. SmackDown's contribution was really bad, Jinder Mahal and Natalya as the top stars sounds like the sabotage continues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    From the looks of it, it looked very much like a B-PPV. Like a Roadblock or Great Balls of Fire. SmackDown's contribution was really bad, Jinder Mahal and Natalya as the top stars sounds like the sabotage continues.
    At least RAW made it seem decent with the Fatal 4 Way and the tag team match. Smackdown will continue to go downhill until they send Jinder back home and make Nakamura and Carmella the champions.

ReputationRep:
    Asuka just relinquished the title, so she can go on the main roster. Not putting anyone over on the way out, no rub for Ember Moon or anyone else.

Well you can tell NXT is run by Triple H.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 22, 2017
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.