Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    hi TSR folk, I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas and has a fab new year!

so basically, I've applied to start uni in 2015 (I've applied to Edinburgh, st Andrews, leeds, bath and Manchester) and I was just wondering about the level of support offered by universities and if it is any good.

I've struggled with anorexia since 2010 and am now at a bmi of 18 but still struggle sometimes and i have recently started therapy for anxiety and depression.

i'm scared i will struggle at uni, does anyone have any pearls of wisdom? <3

ReputationRep:
    you can message each of the universities' disability/support team and they'll be certain to give you way more info and be more helpful. I'm sorry, I don't really know a lot about this topic. Congratulations on recovering! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geeklovescake)
    hi TSR folk, I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas and has a fab new year!

so basically, I've applied to start uni in 2015 (I've applied to Edinburgh, st Andrews, leeds, bath and Manchester) and I was just wondering about the level of support offered by universities and if it is any good.

I've struggled with anorexia since 2010 and am now at a bmi of 18 but still struggle sometimes and i have recently started therapy for anxiety and depression.

i'm scared i will struggle at uni, does anyone have any pearls of wisdom? <3
    I only have experience of the support at Bath but it's brilliant there! I've had free access to counselling and I find the staff very supportive. My anxiety got much worse after starting essays etc but the staff there helped me a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is actually something I'd also like to know more about. I'm a non-UK EU student and I'll hopefully start my uni studies in Edinburgh or Glasgow next autumn. I've been diagnosed with anorexia in June and been in outpatient care since then (I have weight control appointments every few weeks and regularly see a nurse & a nutritional therapist). I'm recovering but still a bit underweight, BMI currently at 17. I feel good and haven't had much eating-related anxiety in months. However, I'm a bit worried about how starting uni will affect me.

I know it might be stressful to move to a foreign country and start in a new school & I'm afraid that might make my condition worse again. So, I would like to re-establish some kind of a treatment plan in university, but I don't know how to go on about it. I certainly wouldn't want to make a huge deal out of it and have any third parties knowing about it. How should I take this up with the university as privately and naturally as possible?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say try and seek out people's views of the counselling service for each university, eliminate ones where there seem to be problems and maybe also ones where there is a high rate of students who require counselling. Then I'd suggest contacting the service before you start university, maybe around late August or early September depending on when you start, to establish some rapport with them. Given your history and asking early, you should be able to get an appointment quite soon after

ReputationRep:
    one of the best tips to try and find a partner, they don't have to be stunning but a nice person, if you have any 'friends that are boys' they are the best options because they've been deeply friend zone but don't wanna say they love you,

just a thought

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuu)
    This is actually something I'd also like to know more about. I'm a non-UK EU student and I'll hopefully start my uni studies in Edinburgh or Glasgow next autumn. I've been diagnosed with anorexia in June and been in outpatient care since then (I have weight control appointments every few weeks and regularly see a nurse & a nutritional therapist). I'm recovering but still a bit underweight, BMI currently at 17. I feel good and haven't had much eating-related anxiety in months. However, I'm a bit worried about how starting uni will affect me.

I know it might be stressful to move to a foreign country and start in a new school & I'm afraid that might make my condition worse again. So, I would like to re-establish some kind of a treatment plan in university, but I don't know how to go on about it. I certainly wouldn't want to make a huge deal out of it and have any third parties knowing about it. How should I take this up with the university as privately and naturally as possible?

Hi - the disability service at each university will be very keen to help you. Ideally contact them well before arriving at uni - this allows them to work with you to establish and adjustments needed to support you at uni and to give you info about access to counselling etc.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.