Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    The quote isn't mainstream ....is it a bad idea? Please reply ASAP!

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

As long as the quote isn't cliche and works well to express your message it's fine. I started mine with one and have 4/5 offers and still waiting for one. Of those four 3 are RG

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure I would ever use a quote anywhere unless it had some real significance in reflecting your perceptions/views.
    If so, then sure. Though make sure you put the quote where it fits . Doesn't necessarily have to be straight at the beginning.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't to be honest. You have a limited amount of words for your UCAS personal statement as it is.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt neither. An admission office told me before never start a personal statement wif quotes because they want to know more academic-related stuff of u
    But obviously if the quotes help, then u can

ReputationRep:
    No. Use your own words. Also, it doesn't make you sound smart; it makes you sound as if you are showing off.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Honestly, most say not to because it takes up characters. Thats true if the quote is long. Using a short and sweet quote that grabs your message is worth the risk. I would tell you my example but I dont think I'm allowed to...

In short if its RELEVANT And SHORT take the risk.

Moreover it doesnt make you look like youre showing off at all... And One admissions officer doesnt account for all of them!!!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VinitJ)
    The quote isn't mainstream ....is it a bad idea? Please reply ASAP!
    Don't do it
    http://university.which.co.uk/advice...onal-statement #1

No matter how unusual or unique you think your quote is - it will be cliche to admissions staff who have read thousands of PSs. Admissions staff HATE quotes. The Which link above is based on a survey of admissions staff - I've seen similar information from universities and admissions staff from a number of sources.

Just....DON'T.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Don't do it

No matter how unusual or unique you think your quote is - it will be cliche to admissions staff who have read thousands of PSs. Admissions staff HATE quotes. The Which link above is based on a survey of admissions staff - I've seen similar information from universities and admissions staff from a number of sources.

Just....DON'T.
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Don't do it

Just....DON'T.
    While you are correct somewhat, you still cannot say all admissions staff will be like that. I read that before typing my PS and I'm glad I ignored it. I applied for English and took a serious risk with my quote, yet I still got offers from top unis for English.

IF it shows your PERSONAL interest put it in. BUT the majority of times it won't fit and I'm just one example so I dont represent everyone.

But its taking it too far to say ALL admissions staff 'HATE' Quotes based only on that which article

ReputationRep:
    I always hated the idea of using a quote in the first line because everyone does it. Teachers tell you that no one does it and it'll make yours stand out, but in reality everyone does it so it stops being so unique.

If you really want to use one I'd suggest bringing it in later, like after a few sentences or even on the second paragraph. That's what I did. Quotes are good. I like quotes. I'd say if you're going to use it then at least do it a little different - add it in the middle or near the end rather than the beginning. Let it blend into your personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMKrishnan)
    While you are correct somewhat, you still cannot say all admissions staff will be like that. I read that before typing my PS and I'm glad I ignored it. I applied for English and took a serious risk with my quote, yet I still got offers from top unis for English.

IF it shows your PERSONAL interest put it in. BUT the majority of times it won't fit and I'm just one example so I dont represent everyone.

But its taking it too far to say ALL admissions staff 'HATE' Quotes based only on that which article
    PQ works in admissions, so is reflecting quite a lot of colleagues' views as well.

ReputationRep:
    I was watching this talk on PS and and BOOM, here's a good response

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jQ3MJgdkJY

Skip right to 11:08 for it.. and watch out for rule 1..
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMKrishnan)

You might have offers but that doesn't mean that the quote helped. A quote is unlikely to be the reason for a rejection but that doesn't mean that it is recommended. You might have been given offers despite your quote

ReputationRep:
    I don't recommend quotes.

Admission tutors want to see what YOU think and what interests YOU about the course, not simply a quote you have read and agreed with.

I personally recommend books are a better way to show "hey look I've done my research and agree/disagree with what the author has said. This book also sparked/enhanced my interest in....."

Books > Quotes

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.