Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I am an A-level student. Although my English is satisfactory but yet i do intend to spoil my GP exams. However, I did learn that my style of written language is, lets say, not quite upto "Alevel standards"...
    how can i improve my A-Level essays?
    and comprehension too...
    any tips??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by udi_higa)
    I am an A-level student. Although my English is satisfactory but yet i do intend to spoil my GP exams. However, I did learn that my style of written language is, lets say, not quite upto "Alevel standards"...
    how can i improve my A-Level essays?
    and comprehension too...
    any tips??

Plan, plan, plan, plan oh and plan.
    When it comes to writing essays, planning is a key part inthe process and bring your writing up to A level standard. If you dive in to anessay you may miss bits, your structure may be way off and the final result may not be to the standard you are fully capable of. I always start by looking at the question, highlighting the key statements or words in the question toreally think about what these mean. I will then set up a plan for myself byasking myself questions like “what should I include in my introduction?”, “what are the key points I am going to make”, “what are the key quotes I must include?” (If applicable, I’m speaking from an English literature student’spoint of view). Answer these questions.

Next, timing is key so plan how long you intend to spend on each segment, when will you dedicate the time to your essay? I always spread mine over 2-3 days so I can come back and look at it each day with a fresh pairof eyes and possibly think of things I may not have thought of the previous day. I never start my essays by writing the introduction either (as odd as thatsounds, it works). A lot of students struggle with introductions because what they include in their intro may not be the key points of your essay- so come back to this later when you know for a fact what you have wrote. As a literature student I also include a debate in my intro to set up the argument but again, this may not be applicable to you.

After I have wrote my first draft, I print it and go through it with a highlighter and pen and focus on the structure of my essay and really pick it all apart and change the positioning of my points it they aren’t where they need to be. During this time you may think of something you have missed which may be more important than another point. When you are happy with the structure, go back and edit it before reprinting.

This next draft need to be analysed too to grab that highlighter and go through it, looking for any grammar errors, spelling mistakes,wrong punctuation etc. During this time I also make a note of the points I have made, if they are applicable to what I’m talking about and it the essay makes sense. Read it aloud after each edit, better yet, read it aloud to someone else to see if it flows- they may pick up on things you have not.

After your final print, leave it and come back to it the next morning to look at it with fresh eyes one last time.

Last points to consider-
    Don’t leave the essay until last minute, I know procrastinationis easy.
    If you think of things you could write during the day, makea note of them as they could be useful!

I hope this all helps, I know it’s a lot of reading but it’s something I now use with every essay I do and my essay standard has gone from a C to an A. Don’t hesitate to ask if you have any more questions of issues J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heyhoshano)
    Plan, plan, plan, plan oh and plan.
    When it comes to writing essays, planning is a key part inthe process and bring your writing up to A level standard. If you dive in to anessay you may miss bits, your structure may be way off and the final result may not be to the standard you are fully capable of. I always start by looking at the question, highlighting the key statements or words in the question toreally think about what these mean. I will then set up a plan for myself byasking myself questions like “what should I include in my introduction?”, “what are the key points I am going to make”, “what are the key quotes I must include?” (If applicable, I’m speaking from an English literature student’spoint of view). Answer these questions.

Next, timing is key so plan how long you intend to spend on each segment, when will you dedicate the time to your essay? I always spread mine over 2-3 days so I can come back and look at it each day with a fresh pairof eyes and possibly think of things I may not have thought of the previous day. I never start my essays by writing the introduction either (as odd as thatsounds, it works). A lot of students struggle with introductions because what they include in their intro may not be the key points of your essay- so come back to this later when you know for a fact what you have wrote. As a literature student I also include a debate in my intro to set up the argument but again, this may not be applicable to you.

After I have wrote my first draft, I print it and go through it with a highlighter and pen and focus on the structure of my essay and really pick it all apart and change the positioning of my points it they aren’t where they need to be. During this time you may think of something you have missed which may be more important than another point. When you are happy with the structure, go back and edit it before reprinting.

This next draft need to be analysed too to grab that highlighter and go through it, looking for any grammar errors, spelling mistakes,wrong punctuation etc. During this time I also make a note of the points I have made, if they are applicable to what I’m talking about and it the essay makes sense. Read it aloud after each edit, better yet, read it aloud to someone else to see if it flows- they may pick up on things you have not.

After your final print, leave it and come back to it the next morning to look at it with fresh eyes one last time.

Last points to consider-
    Don’t leave the essay until last minute, I know procrastinationis easy.
    If you think of things you could write during the day, makea note of them as they could be useful!

I hope this all helps, I know it’s a lot of reading but it’s something I now use with every essay I do and my essay standard has gone from a C to an A. Don’t hesitate to ask if you have any more questions of issues J

wow thankyou sooo much.... this helped a lot.. it was a lot of reading but it was worth it... these tips will surely help me... I do get C's as well. and as much as i try, it doesnt increase at all.. however, this is entirely a new approach...that might as well help me
    however, if u dnt mind i do intend to ask a question.. my vocab is not well furnished and well honestly speaking i do feel like a illiterate when it comes down to vocabs... once i knw a new word i use it in my essays every once in a while... but then it gives a very weird touch to my essay because all my other words are normal and suddenly there is a huge word in between all this.. i hope u get wat i m tryna say... well how do i improve on that..? and also.. can u give me tips on how to write a perfect on-the-spot essay? i really like ur suggestions.. sorry for the trouble tho.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

I see what you are trying to say and it's a problem I struggled with through school. What I used to do is use a thesaurus to find words for the ones I usually rely on, this then broadens your vocab. While you are writing an essay, avoid using the same word over and over again and think of alternatives for words that could sound dull using a thesaurus. Just make sure its the right word to use and make sure you know what it means. I'd also advise reading a bit more if you don't already. It doesnt have to be the likes of War and Peace but the odd newspaper article here and there and if there's any words you dont understand, make a note of it and look it up and find alternative words for it to give you a broader understanding.

As for the good old on-the-spot essay, I would still advise a plan. Just a small one on a scrap bit of paper, making a note of key points, quotes etc before you forget them in the essay writing rush. Even make a note of the words you use constantly and think of alternatives, then you have your own mini thesaurus to hand.

I hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

I see what you are trying to say and it's a problem I struggled with through school. What I used to do is use a thesaurus to find words for the ones I usually rely on, this then broadens your vocab. While you are writing an essay, avoid using the same word over and over again and think of alternatives for words that could sound dull using a thesaurus. Just make sure its the right word to use and make sure you know what it means. I'd also advise reading a bit more if you don't already. It doesnt have to be the likes of War and Peace but the odd newspaper article here and there and if there's any words you dont understand, make a note of it and look it up and find alternative words for it to give you a broader understanding.

As for the good old on-the-spot essay, I would still advise a plan. Just a small one on a scrap bit of paper, making a note of key points, quotes etc before you forget them in the essay writing rush. Even make a note of the words you use constantly and think of alternatives, then you have your own mini thesaurus to hand.

I hope this helps
    oh my god thankyou so much, this really helps.. its really good to finally get hold of how my essays and articles are improving be it slowly, cuz thats how its supposed to go. thankyou for your time seriously. By the way, you study alevels right? which level? i m in the AS. Its tough actually to tell u the truth.. i take bio phy chem and maths. wat about you?
    also, what helped me more was how ur idea of planning for an essays did help me get on the right track because, I had become a participant in one of the national debates here and planning well supported that too. and now i m trying my best to write articles and essays simple but yet up to the point. The tip of how planning works is helping me even more.
    i have also been reading up more books and articles be it small, and i can really feel its helping me.
    thankyou again tons!
    i really needed this! cheerx!

ReputationRep:
    My pleasure!
    I'm in my second year of college, finishing my A levels in English literature, English language and photography. I write an awful lot of essays haha

ReputationRep:
    My pleasure!
    I'm in my second year of college, finishing my A levels in English literature, English language and photography. I write an awful lot of essays haha
    wow. those are pretty great and interesting subjects you got there.
    haha i bet u do write a lot.
    cheerx!!
    best of luck for ur studies.. it was really good to knw u.
    also, photography. wow... its amazing. u must really be having a great time. talk to u soon maybe!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! and good luck in your studies too

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.