Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi Mark, just looking for a little advice on what funding is available to me.

I am a 23 year old female who lives with her partner - I roughly earn around 9k a year, whilst he earns around 25k before tax. I am hoping to apply to the University of Lincoln in the next couple of weeks. Because I am commuting to Lincoln (from a fair distance) and I cannot afford not to work whilst at university I was wondering if I was eligible for any loans?

I have read the forms on the UofL website and I'm extremely confused; does my household income mean I am not entitled to any money?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

If you are studying full time and you don't have any previous study you will be entitled to a tuition fee loan and a maintenance loan, as all UK students are.

As you are under 25 and not married, your funding would still be based on your parents household income, rather than you and your partner's, unless you have been financially independent of your parents for 3 years before starting the course, in which case you would need to provide evidence of this, and we would then base it on your partner's income. Based on the advised income, you would be entitled to additional maintenance loan and maintenance grant.

You can use the student finance calculator to get some idea of how much you would be entitled to in either situation:
    https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

If you are studying part time you would be entitled to a tuition fee loan only. It would therefore be unnecessary to provide any household income whatsoever.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser)
    Hello,

If you are studying full time and you don't have any previous study you will be entitled to a tuition fee loan and a maintenance loan, as all UK students are.

As you are under 25 and not married, your funding would still be based on your parents household income, rather than you and your partner's, unless you have been financially independent of your parents for 3 years before starting the course, in which case you would need to provide evidence of this, and we would then base it on your partner's income. Based on the advised income, you would be entitled to additional maintenance loan and maintenance grant.

You can use the student finance calculator to get some idea of how much you would be entitled to in either situation:
    https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

If you are studying part time you would be entitled to a tuition fee loan only. It would therefore be unnecessary to provide any household income whatsoever.

Thanks.
    Can you define 'financially independent of your parents for 3 years' please?

Is the tuition fee loan likely to cover the cost of the course or is this dependent on household income?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So if you have been earning or claiming benefits in your own name for a total of 3 years before starting the course, this is what we would class as being financially independent.

The tuition fee loan is non means tested, so it is not dependent on household income in any way. It covers the course fees up to a maximum £9000 a year.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser)
    Hi,

So if you have been earning or claiming benefits in your own name for a total of 3 years before starting the course, this is what we would class as being financially independent.

The tuition fee loan is non means tested, so it is not dependent on household income in any way. It covers the course fees up to a maximum £9000 a year.

Thanks
    Okay thank you, you have been helpful.

Just one more question, i have been financially independant for the last 3 years however I was only doing around 28 hours per week last year as i was also at college full time. Is there a minimum amount you have to earn to be counted as independant or do you just have to have been earning?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hello Again,

It's done on a case by case basis, so it really depends on if the assessor deems you were able to support yourself independently, but I would think if you were working 28 hours that would be fine to class you as independent (although it is up to the assessor's discretion).

When you apply, if you just send in copies of either your P60s or wageslips from the 3 years to show your income, along with a letter saying you want to apply as an independent student, that way we can make sure you will be considered for independent status.

If you received any other income i.e. benefits etc you can include evidence of them as well.

Thanks

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.