Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    revise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elmothedancer)
    OCR for all of them, I think they all do similar topics though? Sorry I can't help with physics, I did French instead :P where are you thinking of applying for dentistry?
    I do biology ocr it's pretty hard at the mo . Yes I am hoping on applying for dentistry. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hicko)
    revise
    thanks I know I have to :p:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O9tharakanc)
    thanks I know I have to :p:)

same its 2am XD oh well ive been ill so im exempt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    I suggest you first focus on fully understanding EVERYTHING in lessons - if at any point you are confused, spend some extra time going over your notes/ go along to a lunchtime workshop session if your school runs them/ ask your teacher for help/ look up more information in a textbook until you really understand it.

At the end of each topic write up your class notes into more concise notes - this will help to consolidate the information in your mind, revise for any end-of-topic tests, and give you short revision notes for exam time. I suggest reading through these again over the Easter holidays - and if necessary re-writing them.

I also found it helpful to create a revision quiz using flash-cards, and a couple of us did it at lunchtimes and on the bus It's quite a fun and relaxed way to revise during random short sections of free time. Another way of making revision a bit more fun (and hence, more memorable) is to create colourful posters for each topic and sticking them on your bedroom wall (you can even take it a step further and coat your entire house in posters - so you can revise by reading the posters in the shower each morning...).

Over Easter and the following term, focus on past papers - literally do ALL the past papers from the last 10 years or so. I found it helpful to create a spreadsheet with all the past papers in a grid - when I completed a past paper I wrote my score in and colour coded it depending on how well I had done. I worked from the older papers to the newest, so could easily see my improvement across the spreadsheet as well as ensuring I am practicing the most recent past papers closer to the exam. When you do past papers, try to complete them in the time limit and do your usual checks afterwards. Make sure you mark them ABSOLUTELY according to the mark scheme - don't give yourself marks for being 'almost right'. If you notice particular questions coming up frequently, it might be worth writing example answers.

Just before the exams (say a couple of days before) re-read your revision notes again and make separate notes on stuff you didn't know off-by-heart, then focus on just memorising these (hopefully just a few) things before the exam. Some people find it helpful to read through their completed past papers too.

This might sound like a lot of work - but start preparing and revising early and actually it is very manageable Try and give yourself plenty of short revision breaks, and work in a quiet studious environment so you can really concentrate on getting work done. I found turning my computer/ phone off helpful too - and often went to the library to avoid distractions
    I think this is the best exam advice I've seen on this site!
    This is almost exactly what I did last year and I got 4 As in the subjects OP is taking

Things I did in addition, however, were making my notes using information from lots of different student written revision notes and, when I made mistakes, making new notes from examiner report suggestions and mark schemes. I found this really helpful in never making the same mistake twice.
    Good luck with this year OP!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I do biology ocr it's pretty hard at the mo . Yes I am hoping on applying for dentistry. What about you?
    Year 13 applying for medicine (got an offer from Birmingham last week!! ) good luck with applying for dentistry! I'm sure you already know make sure you organise some work experience for over summer, try and start sorting that now, and if your doing ukcat, start preparing for that almost straight after your as-level exams finish and book it early so you have plenty of choice for dates, exam date in late August worked well for me x

ReputationRep:
    You don't need amazing gradea..you can always get into the foundation year. My friend got BCC in the same A levels and is now at qmul doing dentistry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Year 13 applying for medicine (got an offer from Birmingham last week!! ) good luck with applying for dentistry! I'm sure you already know make sure you organise some work experience for over summer, try and start sorting that now, and if your doing ukcat, start preparing for that almost straight after your as-level exams finish and book it early so you have plenty of choice for dates, exam date in late August worked well for me x
    Well done , I'm planning on doing work experience in summer as you said concentratiing on s as levels first . What are your stats?i heard ukcat is really hard any tips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgecake22)
    You don't need amazing gradea..you can always get into the foundation year. My friend got BCC in the same A levels and is now at qmul doing dentistry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh okay I didn't know there is a foundation year dentistry course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cerlohee)
    I think this is the best exam advice I've seen on this site!
    This is almost exactly what I did last year and I got 4 As in the subjects OP is taking

Things I did in addition, however, were making my notes using information from lots of different student written revision notes and, when I made mistakes, making new notes from examiner report suggestions and mark schemes. I found this really helpful in never making the same mistake twice.
    Good luck with this year OP!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes I agree with you. Thanks and well done.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hi all currently I am an AS student and I am motivated to do dentistry at uni. I would really like to get 4 a's at as level as my gcses are not that good I am doing bio,chemistry ,physics and maths. Any previous students or dentistry applicants got any advice. Please
    For Maths - past papers are not enough for you to get a good grade. At least not anymore.

I'd suggest to practise the questions from the textbook, as well as the Solomon Papers. The Solomon Papers are harder than the real exam, and their questions are likely to appear in the real exam at some point. Personal experience when AQA blatantly copied Solomon Paper questions, changed the numbers and put them in the C4 exam. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Read your entire notes every single week, just drill it into your mind

ReputationRep:
    Well done , I'm planning on doing work experience in summer as you said concentratiing on s as levels first . What are your stats?i heard ukcat is really hard any tips?
    GCSE: 8A*s 2As
    AS: 4As
    A2 prediction A*, A*, A*/A
    Ukcat: average: 750, verbal 610, quantitative 830, abstract 810, decision 750,
    total 3000 (put me in top decile for this year )
    Basically make sure you start preparing early, do it before you go back to college in September, but preferably after results day worked for me (really takes the pressure off!), Do lots of practice questions but do at least one full TIMED mock up doing at least 3), practice using the questions on the ukcat website so you get used to the layout, when doing the maths bit practice with the on screen calculator not a scientific one
    I think in ukcat it's so important to practice the timing, the exam itself isn't too bad but the timing is absolutely brutal.
    This is the book I used, would really recommend it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Score-Higher...ds=ukcat+books
    This is the book most my friends used and some unis recommend, only thing is I heard it's a lot harder than the real thing, which some people say is good but really for the ukcat, I don't know if it helps: http://www.amazon.co.uk/into-Medical...ds=ukcat+books

ReputationRep:
    Basically make sure you start preparing early, do it before you go back to college in September, but preferably after results day worked for me (really takes the pressure off!), Do lots of practice questions but do at least one full TIMED mock up doing at least 3), practice using the questions on the ukcat website so you get used to the layout, when doing the maths bit practice with the on screen calculator not a scientific one
    I think in ukcat it's so important to practice the timing, the exam itself isn't too bad but the timing is absolutely brutal.
    This is the book I used, would really recommend it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Score-Higher...ds=ukcat+books
    This is the book most my friends used and some unis recommend, only thing is I heard it's a lot harder than the real thing, which some people say is good but really for the ukcat, I don't know if it helps: http://www.amazon.co.uk/into-Medical...ds=ukcat+books
    Wow well done that's really good no wonder you got an interview. Thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SecretDuck)
    For Maths - past papers are not enough for you to get a good grade. At least not anymore.

I'd suggest to practise the questions from the textbook, as well as the Solomon Papers. The Solomon Papers are harder than the real exam, and their questions are likely to appear in the real exam at some point. Personal experience when AQA blatantly copied Solomon Paper questions, cha
    nged the numbers and put them in the C4 exam. :eek:
    Oh okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flather)
    Read your entire notes every single week, just drill it into your mind
    that is a really good idea then everything will be in my head

ReputationRep:
    that is a really good idea then everything will be in my head
    It's a pretty big commitment, my geography notes for this year already take a god 6 or so hours to go through on a good day but I really think it helps. I read through the notes from that week twice before putting them in my big folders which get read once a week.

ReputationRep:
    Which university are you going to?:yep::rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diana99)
    Which university are you going to?:yep::rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't know yet. Got an offer from Birmingham which 1st/2nd choice, still not 100% sure but also applied for Newcastle (had interview), Nottingham (interview coming up in Jan.) and Sheffield (heard nothing ). Have you got any idea where you want to go?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know yet. Got an offer from Birmingham which 1st/2nd choice, still not 100% sure but also applied for Newcastle (had interview), Nottingham (interview coming up in Jan.) and Sheffield (heard nothing ). Have you got any idea where you want to go?
    CONGRATS!! I'm sure you get in :yep::yep:
    I'm in year 11 but I'd like to go to a Russel Group university and study medicine
    Preferably Oxford /Cambridge but I'd have to work really hard and maintain my self-motivation for that lol . :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.