Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    If the cranial sutures locked at an early age but the brain doesn't fully develop until mid 20's.
    As the brain enlarges, will the skull also enlarge?

Just an interesting question.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zenarthra)
    If the cranial sutures locked at an early age but the brain doesn't fully develop until mid 20's.
    As the brain enlarges, will the skull also enlarge?

Just an interesting question.
    That's an interesting condition called craniosynostosis. And it depends on which sutures close and when. Logically, a closed suture (let's take the sagittal suture, f.i) means that the skull can't grow perpendicular to that suture: so it might compensate by growing parallel to that suture. If all sutures close earlier on, that would impair the growth of the skull, and the raised pressure inside your cranium due to brain growth would interfere with vision, mental development and other senses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamo123)
    That's an interesting condition called craniosynostosis. And it depends on which sutures close and when. Logically, a closed suture (let's take the sagittal suture, f.i) means that the skull can't grow perpendicular to that suture: so it might compensate by growing parallel to that suture. If all sutures close earlier on, that would impair the growth of the skull, and the raised pressure inside your cranium due to brain growth would interfere with vision, mental development and other senses.

Wow interesting thanks!
    When they say, the sutures fuse together, does this mean the skull is kind of smooth?
    Take for example this picture (A), sutures are not fused:

When the sutures are fused, does the skull look like this?

I've always been fascinated by the skull and brain xD

THankS!
    Attached Images

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zenarthra)
    Wow interesting thanks!
    When they say, the sutures fuse together, does this mean the skull is kind of smooth?
    Take for example this picture (A), sutures are not fused:

When the sutures are fused, does the skull look like this?

I've always been fascinated by the skull and brain xD

THankS!
    Well, not exactly smooth. I mean, the pictures you posted are only looking at the top of the skull, a part called the calvaria or skull-cap. While many images of skull sutures show this, sutures exist elsewhere as well. For instance, your cheekbone is connected to your temple-bone by a suture as well. Basically there are a lot of different bones in your skull, and wherever they fuse, that point is a suture

Like, all other bones, your skull is going to have smooth as well as rough parts. So when your sutures fuse together, they're simply joining two parts of bone. I agree that in the skull cap region, this can make the portion look smoother than before.

As for the last image, I've seen skulls with the suture-lines more prominent. It varies immensely.

It's great to have an interest in the brain! It's so fascinating!
    Attached Images

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.