The Student Room Group

Competency question nightmare !!!!

Example:

Whilst interning, I was tasked by CSR to raise money internally for the company's charity of the year.

I liased with other interns > We set out a plan > Got into groups to work on various elements of a firm-wide raffle and cake sale

In my sub-group a member was meant to call local companies to get prize donations for raffles, however he had a lot of work duties in his department. I consulted with him to find an appropraite task he could take given his time limitations. I was able to swap his task with another member of my sub-group with little confliction to allow for a more efficient use of our timely resources.

Through this each member of my sub-group was able to contribute to the execution of our plan.

For this example, I identified that our working environment (IB) meant that we may have unexpected workloads and tight deadlines. Rather than argue with the individual which would've solved nothing, I decided to re-allocate our resources for greater productivity in our task. This way our group could still function productively and as a result we managed to raise a total of £3200.
Reply 1
Is this a hypothetical scenario or something that actually happened? What worries me here is you're allowing someone else to compensate for a lack of input by the person. In my view it's likely that everyone involved would have been busy in some way, and it would be necessary to determine whether this person actually was busier or if they were just putting their case forward more strongly than the others.

What a lot of this depends on is whether the people involved are part of some official team or committee (in which case there would be more scope for applying pressure for the people to prioritise thus above other tasks) or if they are just volunteering their time, in which case you would have to work around more what is available. Another possibility is allocating more work to the person in another week when they are perhaps not so busy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ttoby
Is this a hypothetical scenario or something that actually happened? What worries me here is you're allowing someone else to compensate for a lack of input by the person. In my view it's likely that everyone involved would have been busy in some way, and it would be necessary to determine whether this person actually was busier or if they were just putting their case forward more strongly than the others.

What a lot of this depends on is whether the people involved are part of some official team or committee (in which case there would be more scope for applying pressure for the people to prioritise thus above other tasks) or if they are just volunteering their time, in which case you would have to work around more what is available. Another possibility is allocating more work to the person in another week when they are perhaps not so busy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wasn't actually the OP of this thread. I just gave an example as to how I would go about answering the question he asked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending