Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I wondered if anyone could tell me if you get much spare time whilst studying dentistry? I don't mean for partying etc, but for more recreational hobbies. Do you get most weekends off? I have severe anxiety issues and the only way I "deal" with it is to make sure I do other activities than study such as gym etc etc, so if anyone could give their input it would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    About 20 hours of contact time on an easy week, up to 35+ on a busy week. So on some weeks you'll definitely get days off, others you'll only get weekends off (but yes weekends are always off, as with any course). On the whole there's plenty of time for other activities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VanFord)
    Hi all,

I wondered if anyone could tell me if you get much spare time whilst studying dentistry? I don't mean for partying etc, but for more recreational hobbies. Do you get most weekends off? I have severe anxiety issues and the only way I "deal" with it is to make sure I do other activities than study such as gym etc etc, so if anyone could give their input it would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers
    There's no doubt that Dentistry is certainly one of the most contact heavy degrees, especially in the first year when you have like 4/5 lectures a day in some unis.

Then second year is usually slightly more chilled with a day off here or there.

Third year then is intense in a different way. You have more clinical time and this takes up a lot of extra time in reading notes/writing case studies/revising in the lab. Casting up impressions into models and making wax try-ins for dentures etc.

Fourth and Fifth year then get more intense as the clinical time gets more frequent and the pressure is on to do well in your exams etc.

You will pretty much always have Wednesday afternoons off for sport etc. Although some in my year have clinics on Wednesday afternoon.

Having said all of that, i feel liked I've always had enough free time to do extra-curricular activities etc. It depends what sort of person you are. If you like a hectic life where you pack in lots of activities then there's no limit to how many different activities you can do. If you want to be a bit more chilled then that's cool too. I know a lot of friends who go to the gym etc in the morning before uni or in the evening after. You'll work out your own routine based on how tired you are at the end of the day etc.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.