Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Brits say Farage gives the most moral leadership beating party leaders & Royal Family Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisawhitmore)
    If it allows the abolition of NI, I don't see why not. It'd also involve, under the original, now sadly discarded plan, upping corporation tax and CGT to the same rate as income tax and scrapping VAT. There'd be one rate of tax and much less opportunity to avoid it.
    VAT was just going to be renamed effectively as a sales tax. There are strong hints that the Tories intend to merge NI into IT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Normal hard working families whose finances have been knocked for six by Labour's incompetence and the Tories' austerity measures are going to make their feelings felt at the General Election by voting UKIP.
    I forgot to mention the open door policy on immigration begun by Labour and not ended by the Tories.
    Open door policy on immigration? Begun by Labour? Please clarify.

Also, can you be more specific about Labour incompetencies and which austerity measures you feel have had the worst affect?

ReputationRep:
    I suspect UKIP will do very well in the next general election. People can cry foul and throw accusations of racism around.. however they have managed to appeal to both the unemployed/low-income and firmly middle-class majorities. Something Labour and Conservative failed to do.

The European elections certainly gave us a taste of what the country is feeling at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    The European elections certainly gave us a taste of what the country is feeling at the moment.
    I do think its easier for people to vote for UKIP at a European or Council than a general though. Feels like a better place for a protest vote, and for most policy is not as clearly set out as it is at a general election.

I think the main parties will attempt to destroy UKIP in the run up to the general election, and UKIP aren't enough of a professional well vetted outfit to avoid damage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)
    I do think its easier for people to vote for UKIP at a European or Council than a general though. Feels like a better place for a protest vote, and for most policy is not as clearly set out as it is at a general election.

I think the main parties will attempt to destroy UKIP in the run up to the general election, and UKIP aren't enough of a professional well vetted outfit to avoid damage.
    The parties tried smearing and trying to destroy UKIP in the run up to the EU election & it didn't work the public see through a concerted smear campaign some of the stories and spin were just ridiculous in May & the public weren't buying it.

Although some may have voted for UKIP as a protest, various polls & articles have shown most voters are sticking with UKIP for the election and the biggest factor is that unlike locals and EU election immigrants are not allowed to vote so the millions of EU immigrants who voted in May (with UKIP still winning) have no vote in the General Election to distort the result

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb0001)
    Open door policy on immigration? Begun by Labour? Please clarify.

Also, can you be more specific about Labour incompetencies and which austerity measures you feel have had the worst affect?
    i do not need to become a policy wonk to know that Labour and the Tories are going to get :spank: at the election by UKIP.

ReputationRep:
    i do not need to become a policy wonk to know that Labour and the Tories are going to get :spank: at the election by UKIP.
    Maybe not, but surely you can back up your opinions?

I am not sure your opinions match the facts at all! But I could be wrong, so I 've asked you to expound.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe not, but surely you can back up your opinions?
    of course i can. i am not a moron.

ReputationRep:
    of course i can. i am not a moron.
    Then please do so. You sidestepped my questions before.

ReputationRep:
    Then please do so. You sidestepped my questions before.
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/se...d-this-is-why/

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite...939#.VKKtgshYA

http://www.express.co.uk/comment/exp...ins-back-power

http://sputniknews.com/world/20141010/193898281.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/c...nt-Harman.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...oint-lead.html

Happy reading :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    The only relevant article is the first one, but it contained a mish-mash of allegations against Labor that were IMO puerile. It complained about immigration, but in fact immigration has increased each of the last 5 years, they also say 3 million but according to the bbc it is just over 2 million.The NHS is gone to pot because you have one bad hospital? Only a fool would believe that. And the infrastructure is bad because you buld the Millenium dome? Slowest growth for 50 years, so we're going to pretend 2008 didn't happen and compare these years with the others in the 50 year period. Very childish stuff, but maybe convincing for certain voters...

The voters are being strung along by thinking that (amongst other easy targets) immigration is to blame when in fact IMO it is the lingering effects of the 2008 crisis (ie behaviour of banks) and globalisation that are causing high unemployment/low utility (ie people working for 0 hour contracts, much lower wages). I suspect that UKIP themselves do not understand this and may end up making matters much worse wherever they are elected (but the LabLibCons may not do a better job).

But like the tea party in the US, UKIP doe not have vested interests that would block it finding solutions. BTW, I am fundamentally opposed to both these parties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisawhitmore)
    Except he polls 16% amongst a demographic he's done nothing to target. That's pretty solid numbers for a relatively new party that's on the wrong side of sensible for the youth vote.
    That's 16% of 17% you silly sausage.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Farage is awesome.
    It's about time someone came along who represented joe average stuck in the middle instead of the grasping scroungers at the bottom and those at the top with so much money that they don't have to care.

Come may, he'll certainly have my vote.
    You think Farage cares about average Joe in the middle?
    You think he wants to cut corporation tax, lower the highest rate of tax, move to a privatised system of healthcare for the average joe?
    More fool you, his party is just a more tory version of the tories, born out of and funded by exceptionally wealthy right wing businessmen who have their own interests at heart yet manage to convince some people that they're a 'working mans party'.

ReputationRep:
    :gangster:

bear™'s skin is as smooth as a freshly plucked nectarine. and twice as juicy.
    bear™'s grooming prowess is wasted on n00

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    That's 16% of 17% you silly sausage.
    So it is, my mistake. They really don't do a good job of presenting the figures in the article. Do their typesetters charge extra for graphs and tables?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 31, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.