Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Anyone else saving themselves for marriage? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protégé)
    This. The notion that a marriage is better than any other relationship is absurd. Many couples love each other but decide not to get married.
    But why wouldn't you marry some one you love? I can't think of a good reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    hmmm yeh Id imagine once youve done it once youll be more open to it.but for me losing it the first time I like the idea of doing with a gf.
    ---
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    This is my plan, but we'll see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    As a Catholic girl I want to wait until I am married.

I am going to wait until I am married because I want my first time to be with someone that I love and I want them to love me back. If you don't wait until you are married then it means that people could just pretend that they love you just to get you into bed
    http://static1.tsrfiles.co.uk/11.22....lies/angry.gifhttp://static1.tsrfiles.co.uk/11.22....lies/angry.gif.

When the Bible talks about sex ,it is between a married couple. In the new testament it talks about fleeing from
    ‘sexual immorality’ ( any sexual activity outside of marriage).

Modern society makes it look like being promiscuous ( having many sexual partners) is "cool" and I despise this kind of mentality. Even though I go to a Catholic Sixth form I overhear boys bragging about how many girls they have slept with http://static1.tsrfiles.co.uk/11.22....lies/frown.pnghttp://static1.tsrfiles.co.uk/11.22....lies/frown.png. I don't want someone to talk about me like that.
    Fine to do what is right for your conscience. But couldn't promote the Catholic Church as the signpost of what is right and wrong given the sordid things it has been associated with and turned a blind eye to.

ReputationRep:
    I'm saving myself for procreation, meaning that I'd have to marry them first as it strengthens the family-unit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Themiddleone)
    But why wouldn't you marry some one you love? I can't think of a good reason
    Plethora of reasons. Cost, divorce complications, etc.

Why would you marry someone you love? I want to get married in the future but even I don't have a good reason for it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauraaaaa)
    Yeah, I lost mine with my boyfriend and it was awful :lol: nobody's first time will be amazing, and I now realise that when I was thinking that i'd do it with 'someone i love', it just made it out to be this really romantic and amazing thing, and i put it on a pedestal, when it was actually pretty awkward
    hmm I get that but I still dont want to lose it to some rando or someone I dont like sexually aside...

the first time im being picky

I think the better sex is where is with people you have a deeper relationship so Il go with that the first time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ndella)
    I'd like to, but probably won't happen. I only intend to sleep with someone if I see myself marrying them, and if I end up feeling so comfortable with him that we sleep together before marriage, it's ok.
    Views on Colchester

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't really want to get married, so no

ReputationRep:
    I thought about it for a few seconds, but then I realised I didn't live in the 17th Century and decided against it.

ReputationRep:
    I want to try to partially for religious reasons (another Catholic here :P), partially because in my eyes, sex and the possibility of having children is what makes marriage a special relationship worthy of all the fuss that society makes over it, and also because I don't want to regret it and marriage seems to me like the best place to draw the line.

However, I read this article about a girl who kept herself until marriage and made being a virgin part of her personality throughout her late teens and early 20s and she said she regretted it because everyone knew after her wedding night she had lost her virginity. So when (if) I start having serious relationships, I probably won't talk about it much :P

I have a lot of respect for people who do keep themselves for marriage but at the end of the day, it's your body, your decisions, not my or anyone else's place to judge anyone

ReputationRep:
    Im 18 and a virgin and will remain so until im married

ReputationRep:
    Is marriage really the be all and end all of everything? Have you not seen the divorce rate recently? lol..

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saving myself for marriage. I'm 25 and some of my friends say I might aswell wait , but that isn't my plan lol. Im just waiting for the right person to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Blade)
    Views on Colchester

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Too quiet.

ReputationRep:
    I am saving myself for marriage...but, just because of my religion. My life would feel empty without religion....

ReputationRep:
    Lolno, wouldn't you get ridiculously frustrated? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by germanium)
    Religious or not, anyone else saving themselves? I had this conversation with a friend recently and said there was a difference in intercourse and making love/having sex. You can get intimate with someone and not actually have full on intercourse. What do you think?
    Personally I think it's not a good idea to save yourself for marriage. A massive part of your relationship with someone is sexual compatibility and you should have explored that before you commit to each other for what's meant to be for the rest of your lives.

When you say not have full intercourse I'm guessing you mean no penetrative sex which is basically the idea of virginity which is a made up concept anyway which demonises female sexuality. Personally if I was going to marry someone I would want to have someone I'd experienced everything with and was comfortable having sex with before walking down the aisle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protégé)
    I had the same mindset a while back. But I just don't see a point to saving myself anymore.

Edit: I had more the "if I love her" view though, marriage doesn't mean a thing to me.
    Do you think there is such thing as "love"

ReputationRep:
    Well in the case of waiting for marriage i've already blown it

In all seriousness I'm going to hold out again until I find someone I really like, someone with the right personality and chemistry between us.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 31, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.