Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Since starting my second year at MMU in September 14, I have felt totally disinterested in the course content, socially rejected, lonely at home and anxious around my course-'mates'. I'm struggling to keep up with work and no longer take any interest in what I learn or produce.

I think I have a social anxiety problem too.. I think people are always judging me on the bus to uni, judging me in uni and just generally not liking who I am. As a result of this, I've isolated myself from others, stopped going to the gym and playing football in an effort to make my self feel better and give me time to catch up on my work.

Having visited my GP over xmas, he has told me that I'm suffering from depression and anxiety. So I am now on an anti-depressant prescription; not that they are making any difference to me! I still feel terrible every day, not wanting to go to uni or see people as I feel that everyone hates me.

I thought I would study a computing course in hopes of starting a career as a web designer. It suddenly dawned on me that this type of work means staring at a computer screen all day endlessly doing the very thing that is now driving me crazy. That seems like a stupid think to say but its become very lonely! I don't know if this is just a bad depressive phase or whether I should shut up shop now and pursue a different path in life whilst I'm still young!

Has anyone any ideas? :/

ReputationRep:
    I was/am struggling with depression too. I feel the same way sometimes.

I don't really have any cures but I found that just having at least one friend to talk to is a great benefit.
    The problem is everyone seems to avoid loners & people suffering from depression.

The prescription just dulls emotion, that's all, I don't think you can rely on it. I was told to find some kind of club where I could meet new people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    I was/am struggling with depression too. I feel the same way sometimes.

I don't really have any cures but I found that just having at least one friend to talk to is a great benefit.
    The problem is everyone seems to avoid loners & people suffering from depression.

The prescription just dulls emotion, that's all, I don't think you can rely on it. I was told to find some kind of club where I could meet new people.

Yeah the attached stigma means people just think you're strange and anti-social.

Very frustrating! But I totally agree about joining new clubs/societies etc. After xmas I hope to do more sporting activities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrquiet)
    Yeah the attached stigma means people just think you're strange and anti-social.

Very frustrating! But I totally agree about joining new clubs/societies etc. After xmas I hope to do more sporting activities.
    What sports you thinking of joining?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    What sports you thinking of joining?
    I'm hoping to go indoor rock climbing and bouldering as I used to do it. It's a good physical and mental exercise testing problem solving abilities and upper body strength.

ReputationRep:
    Never thought about that, sounds good. I'll check if there is any near where I live.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.